Thread: Pavel and the Army PFT

Pavel and the Army PFT

I just enlisted in the Army, and I would like to max, or get as close as possible to maxing, the Army Physical Fitness Test, prior to leaving for basic training in 3 months. In order to max the test, I need to complete 77 push-ups and 82 sit-ups in 2 minutes each, as well as a 2-mile run in 13:18. I have a regimen for running, but I would be grateful for some advise on upping my push-ups and sit-ups. Currently I can do about 30 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in the allotted time. I’ve heard a lot about Pavel’s training methods, and I’ve read PTP. I am wondering what people think about using Pavel’s methods of high resistance, low repetitions (3 sets of 5 reps at 80-90% of my 1 rep max, for instance) vs. just doing what the Army recommends, which would be doing sets of 20-30 pushups and 50-100 reps of sit-ups. From everything I have read on this forum and in Pavel’s books, it sounds like the way to maximize strength is the high-resistance, low rep route. However, I need to train for this test as my performance on it will directly effect my ability to go on to advanced training. So basically, my question is, if I go the high-resistance, low-rep route, will this increase the number of push-ups and sit-ups I can do as well or better than just doing a lot of push-ups and sit-ups?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help. If you have any related advice for me, I would welcome that as well!

HIIT training is the best

Day 1

Do one set of as many push-ups as you possibly can in 2 minutes, rest for 1 minute, do as many as you can in one minuet, then rest one, do another minute, then rest for a minute, do one more minute then stop. Each set should be a different type (i.e. do regular, incline, diamond, and wide arm pushups). Do not do any more for 3 days. The next time you do pushups start with a different variety.

Day 2

Do the same thing as the push-ups, but with sit-ups. Use regular situps, twisting sit-ups, crunches, and inclined. And again wait three days before trying to do them again. When you do once more start with a different kind then the last time.

Day 3

Run. You said you have a plan for running. Use it

Day 4

Rest!

Day 5

Start over.

This was given to me by my NCO. It works. I can now easily pass the test except for the running part. I am still having trouble with my asthma (I just found out that I have it today) so my run still sucks. Good luck! Are you enlisting active? What MOS? Where is your BASIC? Again good luck!

Andrew

What are the requirements for the test?

(the minimum

In order to max the test, I need to complete 77 push-ups and 82 sit-ups in 2 minutes each, as well as a 2-mile run in 13:18.

Wow, for me I could easily do that many pushups and situps in the time alloted, but the run would own me. Heh.

I tell you what, Larva, you said you have 3 months until you leave. That's 12 weeks. I have (it's not really mine tho) an awesome pushup program that will get you to be able to do 100 reps in one set in 10 weeks. So that gives you two weeks to spare. This pushup program kicks ass IMO, because it gives you a little extra size as well. Not like bodybuilder size at all, but just enough that you notice it.

Currently I can do about 30 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in the allotted time

Good. The program assumes you can do 30 unassisted pushups before you start, so you're in perfect condition.

The only problem is I lost the link, so someone else will have to post it for you. If no one else has it I have it printed out at home, but I'm at my University apartment now so I can't get it for a while.

But anyway, if you can get to 100 reps in one set, you will have no trouble hitting the Army's maximum of 77 in two minutes.

So, uh, guys who have the routine I showed you linked, post the link

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

since ironfist couldn't handle the cardio demand of retyping it, here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/F...2/100push.html

" i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Also, just to clarify, high resistance, low reps will build strength, BUT it's not strength you're after. To do lots of sit-ups/push-ups in a certain time frame you need muscular endurance. Therefore, do lots of push ups and sit ups. The more you do, assuming that you keep adding on, the more you will be able to do.

Basic rule:

High resistance, low reps = muscular strength.

Low resistance, high reps = muscular endurance.

The program that IF is talking about is awesome as far as I know (never used it, but heard lots of positive reports), but just bear in mind the basic rule above.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Hey Larva

I'm shipping off to basic at Fort Leonard Wood in November and am working on the same thing. The link posted by rubthebudda looks pretty good. I'm going in as a 98XL and'll be heading out to Monterey after Basic, how about you? Also, for anyone who's already been there, is it possible to get permission while in AIT to go off base for Kung Fu? My basic, language and AIT training is gonna be over a year and a half altogether!!!

Pavel has a program that's supposed to get you to 100 pushups in 2 weeks or something, but it requires doing pushups like ever 30 minutes or something all day long, which isn't convenient for most people, so I recommend the 10 week one instead. It even gives you some days off

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Talking

Thanks everyone for your responses! That push-up program looks great, thanks IF and RTB! For those who asked, I went enlisted under Special Operations (18X), which is why I want to get in as good as shape as possible before I ship out. I know I’m in for a world of hurt for my first 6-8 months, but if I pass it’ll be worth it! I ship out to Ft. Benning, GA at the end of October.

PAMantis – Thanks for your regimen and the well wishes. I’ve been looking at the recommended preparations for Ranger training, and the one your NCO gave you sounds very similar to it: http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANG...alTraining.htm

Colin Kennedy – The minimums for the test (for my age group, 27-31) are 39 push-ups, 45 sit-ups and the run in 17:00.

Thanks again!

You probably don't want to go AF if it's special ops you desire though.

AF has some pretty good special forces teams. They just aren't well known.

Larva

Congrats on signing up! I just finished at Ft. Benning a few weeks ago and am currently going through AIT. I'll probably be putting in an SF packet in the next year for when I'm done with my training here. A few reccomendations and tips to help with your PT...first, for SF start gauging your PT on the 19-21yr old age bracket. to max there, you need I think, 77 pushups, 85 situps, and a 13min 2 mile. Also, for SF you need to hit 6 pullups from a dead hang, and a 50 meter swim in full BDU's and boots. That's just to begin training at the minimum. To do more on your PT test, when you do pushups and situps, DROP on the decline(don't ease yourself down) and then explode up. For the run, be prepared to run until you're ready to puke, if you throw up, you're doing it right. Also, start practicing flutter kicks and various pushups(diamonds, wide hands, alligators, regular, shifting left right, forward and back while in the down position, and just staying in the down position and holding it). Ask your recruiter to check your form as well because improper form will not get you points on the test, just tired.
    A good workout that works for me is to do 3x5 of Pavel and some dips and then pushups until ALMOST tired.
    I have an SF prep workout I'll post on here when I get time. It's really good and takes about 5 weeks to do. One last thing, start exercising your shins. You will run a lot and in ways you aren't used to(weapons runs, last man ups, football drills etc.) and you can get shin splints or stress fractures fairly easily. As a heads up, the SF obstacle course is a mostly rope climbing so work on your cross foot hold for rope climbing and your upper body strength.
    If you have any questions or things I can help you with, feel free to ask.
    P.S. What slot in the Teams are you looking for?

Evil Betty
    Enjoy Ft. Leonard Wood, better training than Jackson I looked at your MOS but chose a different path as it wasn't right for me. Monterey is FREAKIN AWESOME, I'll be there in September an stay for a over a year. As far as KF time there, you'll probablyy be restricted for a few weeks-months before going off post but I assume you'll be there for a while so you'll get some good training time. What did you get on your DLAB? That can give me some idea as to how long you'll be there nd potentially what language. I have some people here in my platoon for AIT from Lost in the Woods if you have any questions...

Congrats guys and good training
    -ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

I got a 136 on the DLAB, so I know I'll get one of the Cat IV languages. I have a note in my contract that I've been promised I'll get Chinese, but no official paperwork to back it up.
    You'll have to let me know what the DLI's like when you get there. Most especially how easy/quick it is for married couples to get housing. What style of KF do you study? With us both being out there, maybe we could help each other out. Right now my fiance and I study 7*, but plan on studying Tai Mantis with Paul Eng when we get out there.
    As far as Leonard Wood goes, I'm not too worried about it, except for that fact that it's going to be COLD in November-January. Still, it'd be nice to know who I need to talk to in order to get permission to go home during the X-Mas Exodus.

Air Force combat controllers are totally sweet.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

I wouldn't worry too much about maxing the PT test.

If you are going SF, you need to run.

and run.

and run.

and run.

11B OSUT will get you into good enough shape. You need heart to get through the 18 series stuff. After OSUT you will probably go on to Airborne school. There you will do a little running. 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week at a 8 to 9 minute pace. That's what they told me, but the pace seemed a little faster.

SF Qual, Ranger School, etc. It's not about passing or maxing the APFT, it's about not quitting. Endurance and heart will get you through. In 3 or 4 years you won't care too much about maxing the PT test. Either you max or you don't . I scored over max on push ups and situps and scored 94 on the run. That's my best, 294. I did that at the Engineer Officer's Basic Course. I started the 4 month course with a 240 or so score. I did regular PT with my company and drank a lot of beer in the evenings. It dosen't take Herculean effort.

Get you mind set that you are going to do your best and then drive on to better your best and you will do fine. The PT will take care of itself.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!