Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Slt A.....

Is Slt A.....

Is SLT A "dictionary" or a "Bible" of WC?

SLt is one of three bibles of wc. .or you can say it's one of six.

Wing Chun is not a religion. There is a difference between faith and knowledge.
    But I think it would be more accurate to compare it to a geometry book.

Originally posted by old jong
    Wing Chun is not a religion. There is a difference between faith and knowledge.
    But I think it would be more accurate to compare it to a geometry book.

and/or a physics book!
    Travis

structure in motion

don't forget blueprint
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Wing Chun is not a religion.
    True, but if you have faith in it, it will work better for you (than if you are less confident)
    S.Teebas

condensed formulae- a little idea of a vast system...and ultimately a door to nature...and how the human structure works.
    Its more than a dictionary- its atleast a grammar which includes
    a logic. The introductory form evolves into the most advanced form
    as understanding of it increases.

It is not a religion any more than western geometry is a religion.
    Though folks can infer religion from anything just as the Platonists drew implications from geometry. One can study geometry without being a Christian... similarly anyone can study
    wing chun...theists, atheists, agnostics..whatever....except trolls.

condensed formulae- a little idea of a vast system...and ultimately a door to nature...and how the human structure works.
    Its more than a dictionary- its atleast a grammar which includes
    a logic. The introductory form evolves into the most advanced form
    as understanding of it increases.

What is a Bible to you? The essence of a practice, or the stale traces of one?

There was an interesting interview on NPR a week ago, about the Bible. I am neither a Christian nor a scholar so pardon me if I recall the details incorrectly. Apparently, there was a section in the original Bible, that contained separate instruction for indoor disciples. That section was edited out and disavowed by the party bosses for more than 1000 years. Someone recently found an original version buried underground.

Are you really doing SLT... or just "SLT Lite"? If someone removed the "key", how would you know?

Dictionary is a lookup, Yin is Yin, Yang is Yang, a goat is a goat. not much room for interpretive meanings...

Bible, oh lord, there are many many schools of thoughts and interpretations. Just like WC

btw, to study "Bible Code" one would need to know Hebrew. So to decode WC do we need to study Cantonese? or FutShan? or Fujien?

Re: Is Slt A.....

Hi Hendrik,
    Originally posted by Phenix
    Is SLT A "dictionary" or a "Bible" of WC?
    I've always considered it a dictionary, but given your concerns about historical antecedents, I'm guessing that because of its theoretical ties to White Crane, you see in it a Bible of principles, defining what is the Tao of SLT. Thou shalt not stand tensely, Thou shalt keep thy head up, Thou shalt kim sut, etc. Given the similarities in certain well-preserved lineages, this seems correct IMO.

Both analogies work as analogies for me. Likely you and Joy are two of the only ones on the forum who know enough about history and Chan to see its fullness.

When you coming to San Jose Wing Chun to visit again? We're planning a picnic in August in Cupertino.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Question Just wondering...

...What our pro-sparring members think of SLT as a basic and profound part of Wing Chun?...Is it still relevant in their approach?...

It's actually a devious trap book. Once you open its page, you will be hypnotized into the WC world of Myst. There will be plenty of other fellow adventurers there.

Some are stuck on the island of the Pipe Network where they will spend the rest of their intellectual life tinkering with the human meridian valves and switches to tap into that mysterious energy.

And then there are those valiant WC knights who come in peace at first and then gradually become succumbed to the power of dark side of mixed martial arts. They all carve out kingdoms for themselves with loyal devoted sects and followers to slug it out merrily over the vast cyberspace in the end. Ah! the glorious drama and excitement of conquests!

A few old faithfuls are still seeking another hidden SLT bible to get out of the fine original mess that they started. Can they make it back in time or forever marooned themselves on their own fantastic island?

Regards,