Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small mistakes, big problems

Small mistakes, big problems

I started this as kind of a "heads up" to everyone, including myself.
    Only people who need to respond, are yes, you old fogies.
    What have you done in the past, training wise, that wasnt quite right, and you are suffering from it now?
    Inproper iron palm?
    Not enough stretching?
    What did you do "back in the day" that you wish you wouldnt have, that would have made you healthier today?
    The point is so us "young bucks" can correct a problem before it starts, or before it becomes serious.

I should have worn condoms...oh wait....nevermind.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Nothing. The only injuries I have are due to accidents, not from poor training practices. I guess I have been lucky and have an outstanding teacher.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

My only problem is bad knees
    Dont train improperly.
    Was just bored and didnt have any other ideas for a thread............................................ .....

My problems all stem from doing stupid stuff, like pushing too hard through pain. For example, I deveoped "Gout" about 4-5 years ago (runs in the family). Gout is when excessive Uric acid builds up in the blood stream, and solidifes in the form of razor sharp, glass like crystals in the joints. During and attack it's important to NOT move around too much. I didn't know I had it, and just followed the "No pain no gain" theory and pushed through the pain and trained anyway, several hours of moving through super deep stances and all. This ground the cartillage in my knees up really bad, and now they are soar, weak and noisy. It's the main reason why I swithced to the Northern stuff, less deep stance work.

I know now that if I even feel a gout attack comming on, I have to either not train that day, or few days, or only hold postures as moving it what causes the dammage, Till the attack subsides anyway. usually attacks are triggred by dehydration, or eatting too much meat/Protines (Sux for muscle retention )

The moral of the story is this, Don't over train. Yeah, it feels good to lay there so exaughsted you can't move anymore, and over comming the challenges makes you feel like a big man, but your actually better of being just a but lazy and not pushing so hard.

Now I train to about 90-95% capacity for 2 hours and take days off, as opposed to 110% 6-7 days a week for 3-5 hours. You know what, my body seems to actually be developing as fast as before. Considering I harldy eat enough meat, that's a good thing.

My big advise here, is take recovery time. Never train more than 3 days in a row with out taking 1-2 days off to be a complete couch potato. Ideally, I like to do two days of hard training, and the third to be all skill work, tkae a day off, and do it again followed by two days off. This works out to a 9 day cycle of 6 on, and 3 off. Every 3 cycles, take a whole week off. When life allows me to maintain this, I get the best results. I wish i had known how to cycle back in my 20's, I'd probably be much more now.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-26-2003 at 04:46 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I wish I didn't waste 4 years at a Mcdojo
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Yeah, I wasted my prime development time in Chung moo quan. That really sux big time. I wish I could have started out knowing what I know now. I would have been at Choi's back when I was close enough to him to actually get to class before he was ready to lock up for the night.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I wasted my right hand on a stupid board break--broke my knuckle 5 years ago. Now, my hand is stiff in the morning and it takes about five minutes for it to unstiffen.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

*raises hand shyly* Bad knees right here, and improper stretching but I've learned my lesson and now do a good warm up before training.
    K. Mark Hoover

Unhappy Ah, Something I Can Relate Too . . .

Fortunately, all of my problems have not come from martial arts; they came from having an asymmetrical skeleton. And flat feet.

Well, I started lifting weights about 5 years ago. And, for about two of those, I did nothing but bench, curls, and triceps presses.
    Soon, couldn't bench no more; overdevelopment of the anterior muscles. Just recently getting over this by working posterier more than anterior.

Also, having flat feet made me overdevelop my outer legs and left my inner legs lacking. So, after I started doing squats, I started having knee trouble. About two months after it started, I began physical therapy. After six months, the problem was gone.

Now, after coming back from a cracked/separated floating rib and hyper-extended elbow, I start dumbbell squats again. Once again, my knees holler. Fudge. For about 4 months before my Sho Dan test, I was working legs. NOW it comes back. Oh, well.
    God got me through the last six months of therapy. We'll get through the do-over stuff.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who needed to gripe.

Cheers!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Robinf
    I wasted my right hand on a stupid board break--broke my knuckle 5 years ago. Now, my hand is stiff in the morning and it takes about five minutes for it to unstiffen.
    Sounds like Mas Oyama
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Reply]
    Find a good Iron Palm Jow, and soak it in the jow every morring, and every evening for 6-9 months. Then do some light finger stretches and stuff, it will eventually heal. Jow is a mirracle cure all.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Royal Dragon

Reply]
    Find a good Iron Palm Jow, and soak it in the jow every morring, and every evening for 6-9 months. Then do some light finger stretches and stuff, it will eventually heal. Jow is a mirracle cure all.
    Yeah, jow rocks but it works better if combined with massage. Especially good if you can find a good bonesetter to work on it for you. Works miracles.

Most my injuries have been non--training related. Was ran over by a guy running a red light as I was walking to work. Was hit head on by a drunk driver in Florida. I guess I have had one training related injury. I was practicing some forms out in the rain in the courtyard outside my dorm, late one night. I had some of those freakin plastic soled kung fu shoes on. I jump in the air and land in a low stance on the wet cobblestone. One leg went one way the other another way. I really messed up my glutes doing that. That was the same semester I got run over by the car, scratched my eyeball with dryed plaster in it, and had minor surgery on my foot. One painful semester.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Rule #1: Don't be in denial of your injury...

Wish I knew that one a long time ago...

Also wish I had known about bridging, Hindu Squats, Qigong, Yoga, etc. back when I should have been rehabbing properly.