Thread: Shivers

Shivers

Basic problem: I'm getting the shivers running in 80-90 degree weather. What's going on?

Story: I went to cross country practice today and we were supposed to run 5 miles (2.5 destination, 2.5 coming back). Seeing as how it is cross country, 5 miles isn't such a surprising thing, but it was ironic. First day of heat wave, and this is the day I feel cold. I'm running down the trail with my friend and I started feeling cold, getting shivers from inside out, and having "un-noticable" (not noticable to others) goosebumps. I'm sweating profusely, 80-90 degrees out, and I feel a lens of heat over me. But no matter how hot it was, I constantly felt shivers, and all my lens could do for me was send it back in there.

That was weird, do you guys know what my problem was?
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Aren't those symptoms of heat exhaustion? Can't remember for sure...

How do you feel now?
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

sounds like.

could be exacerbated by dehydration.

DRINK YOUR WATER, DAG NABBIT!
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

- Cheese Dog
    I'm better now. As for right after practice, I was still feeling it for maybe half-1 hour or so.

What is heat exhaustion defined as?
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Not sure of the definition, but I know that those are the symptoms. The treatment should have been to get you into the shade and have you drink some cool (not cold) water until you felt better. Be very careful with that. It isn't something to treat lightly. If you feel like that again walk back to your coach and tell him. And like rubthebudah said drink plenty of water.

Thanks for this thread. After sparring on Monday a bunch of us were shivering as we sat off drinking water. Yeesh. The importance of not overheating.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

make sure you're getting a reasonable amount of salt in your diet as well. not excessive, just reasonable.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Did you know that heat injury can happen in sub-zero weather? It is all hydration. If you feel thirsty, you are already into full dehydration.

Any-who. The three stages of heat injury are:

1. Heat exhaustion. simptoms: weekness in extremities, chills, cool clammy skin, dizzy or light-headedness. Notice the similarity to basic shock? Treat it the same way you would regular shock. Drink water, but stay away from salt and gatorade untill the simptoms ease.

2. Heat Cramps. simptoms: same as above but with head ache, abdominal cramps, nausia. Treat the same as heat exhaustion. will take longer to recover.

3. Heat Stroke. simptoms: Same as above but will be more sever. Call 911 and try to lower the body temp. You can poor water on them but don't let them drink. Just let them rinse their mouth out.

#1 way to prevent all that? be hydrated before exurting yourself. drink pleny of water durring. Then drink plenty after. Gatorade is good for you, but not if you're already starting to show signs of heat injury.

Thanks guys. I got more water today, and it didn't catch on today.

Smile

Thank you Becca, for the information. Good stuff!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Re: Shivers

Originally posted by iron thread
    I constantly felt shivers, and all my lens could do for me was send it back in there.
    I'm sorry, I understood everything except that. What is "lens?"

Becca, good info, but it's symptoms

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Thought it looked wrong.

IronFist,

That was metaphorical. I also felt bored.