Out of those 2 styles, I would rather choose the chen, but that's b/c I've already trained in the PRC forms before and that I've always been interested in chen.

However, one thing is that with the chen, I think it really depends on what the lineage is. I trained under this one instructor who mostly taught the PRC competition sets, but I saw that later down the line, this instructor taught the chen sets. I knew that I would have to go thru all the PRC forms again to learn the chen sets so I was going to commit myself.

However, after seeing a demonstration of the chen set, I realized that the basic chen requirements were not there. I then found out that this instructor did mostly the PRC chen forms. While this is not bad, they are more of the xinjia variant and I wanted to get into the traditional laojia forms.

I realized then that if I want to train in chen, then it's best to find the right teacher first and not settle for anything less. Personally, I think it's easier to teach the basic requirements for the PRC based forms b/c they are (like LC noted) standardized sets meant for health and taught to the masses. However now that I've found a chen instructor from a good lineage, I'm just getting a taste of how hard it is to maintain the basic bodily requirements for chen over those from the PRC based forms.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH
w.