Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rodell's "Chinese Swordsmanship"

Scott Rodell's "Chinese Swordsmanship"

Hey everybody. My teacher, Scott Rodell, has just completed the finishing touches to his book "Chinese Swordsmanship: The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition". It will be available in September, but I am posting this now because if you order the book early you get free shipping.

The book covers history, strategy/tactics, form, freeplay applications, and more, and focuses on (as Scott does in all his sword studies) historical accuracy and throwing out martial lore, and practicality.

Here is a link for the book, with lots of info and excerpts and such:

Chinese Swordsmanship

Thanks for reading this, and I'm sure that anyone here who trains in sword will benefit from what Scott has to offer.

END OF SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AND ADVERTISING
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Thumbs up

I come across him in the sword forum internattional. He is a moderator in Chinese swordmanship forum. The guy is ridiculously knowlegeable about Chinese sword. I haven't read the book but given that it's written by him, it's certainly worth a look.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Vapour brought up something I forgot to include in the original post. Scott is moderator of the Chinese Swordsmanship forum at the Sword Forum.

Just in case it doesn't mention it in the link I gave, and in case anyone is interested, Scott is a disciple student of Wang Yen Nian, in Taiwan. He has also studied with William Chen and TT Liang. He has handled 1000's of Qing (and Ming) period chinese jian (and dao, and everything else). The man knows his sword, let me tell you.

And come on, people, FREE SHIPPING!!!

Sorry, I'll stop bothering you now. I will however, periodically bring this back to the top. If anyone has questions, they can post on this thread, or even better, I'm sure the link I gave tells you how to get in touch with Scott directly. He'll know better than I will, plus I can't get you the book and he can. He is a very busy person, and doesn't do the whole internet forum-thing (too busy training and teaching), so I am posting notices about the book for him.

Thanks a lot for your time, guys. I'm just here to support my teacher and his kick-ass new book. Later, dudes.

short sword

the sword scott is using in the picture looks awfully short for a taiji jian.

chinese swordsmanship as far as my taiji teacher mentions is broken into two categories, one is internal swordsmanship like taiji, bagua and xingyi and wudang, the other is external sword styles like - drunken, tong bei, running, green dragon, shaolin

the book however does look like a good read.
    http://www.polariswushu.net

I don't doubt that the book will be a good read.

I think that's just the angle of the photo. It does look short, but I've seen that sword in real life, and it's a full-size jian, not a duan jian. What do you mean by a "taiji jian"? There's really no such thing as a jian made specifically for taiji, just a jian.

BTW, what's "running"? What system is that?

Scot is a professional dealer in ancient sword. So when I said he is knowledgeable, i didn't just mean swordwork. He really know about his stuff and obviously, he is not someone who use fake sword.

Only worry is that his work could be too academic. Btw, I don't particularly aprove of this site used as a commercial promotion. So let this thread end.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

$32.95?

That's a pretty high price, but I do enjoy Scott's work. He's a great researcher.

I bought a sword from him for my Sifu years ago. Tell Scott if he needs another review, he knows where to send a copy....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Vapour--It's fine for others to post seminar notices, threads about buying videos, Maoshan can promote his tournament, but I can't post a notice about my teacher's book? I'm not trying to start an argument at all, but isn't what these boards are for, to spread good information about the CMA? Seminars, tournaments, and books all promote the CMA.
    I think the book will be fairly academic, but not overly so. It won't be just a really general overview, but it'll be a good read, if you're into swordsmanship.

If this thread is against the rules of the forum, Gene, feel free to take it down.

jian fa

these are techniques common to external sword

ci jian- sword thrust- out

pi jian- sword hack- diagonally

gua jian- sword upward parry- make circles

liao jian- sword upper cut- low to high

yun jian- cloud sword- above head

mo jian- sword slicing- half circles at waist

jiao jian- sword twisting thrust- small circles at tip

jia jian- sword over head block- at taijijian beginning form

dian jian- sword touching- chicken pecks rice

ben jian- sword tilting- cut to wrist- sword moves up

chuan jian- sword piercing

jian wan jian- sword figure 8 inside/outside, reverse

jie jian- sword cut- stops strikes cut

huan jian- transfer sword- hand at wrist

xiao jian- peel with sword

13 techniques of taiji jian -xianhao cheng

These are specific to taiji while the above is more common in traditional and modern wushu.

1. Tsou- thrash- the power is on blade (to fight) and arm should be straight. Yang sword (fenghuang tai tou) pheonix spreads wings fajing movement.

2. Dai- Bring dowm- similar to thrash but from right to left- parting grass step back movement

3. Ti- lifting- bring the handle up; slide opponets wrist with sword tip downward- "dipper sword movement"; slicing stomach area with last edge of sword.

4.Ger- deflect- use the part near handle and the body instead of sharp edge to avoid the damage of the sword. use "falling flowers- (lou hua shi) back step

5. Ji-strike- form the power on the tip. technique is on the wrist. "catch a fish"-diaoyu shi

6. Tse- *****- Power is on the elbow. (same technique used in shaolin sword)- powerful thrust out

7. Dian-drop- with the tip strike up to downward; swallow touches the eart -yanzhi xian ni

8.beng- bounce- suddently drop the wrist and use tip to strike opponents wrist. use jump-step back

9. Jiao- stir- stick on the incoming weapon and use the blase to wrap the weapon and strike. mustang over ravin- yema tiao jian.

10. Ya- press- expose power downward suddenly and attack.

11. Pi- chop- use the edge cut from lower blade to upper blade.- dusting the wind; yin feng dan chen

12. Jway-Intercept- stop opponent weapon upward. To left and right is called deflect. deflect upward and attack forward fast.

13. Zhi- slide- Redirect and attack back sliding through persons weapon. Most afraid of technique- sliding after connect. can use various stepping with this. ex. half sitting

running sword is exactly like it sounds- its fast running wushu style sword slicing, thrusting, going crazy sword form.
    http://www.polariswushu.net

Thanks a lot, Ma.

Is it free shipping even overseas?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Great, I have been waiting forthis book for ages after hearing about it over on the sword forum.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Tell Scott...

Associate Publisher's make for great reviews on book jackets. All they need is a reader's copy...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene--I'll most definitely tell Scott about your offer. Right now he is on vacation for his 10th wedding anniversary, so it'll be a few days before I see him again. Thanks a lot Gene.