Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stances

The ToJKD is a bunch of notes, Bruce Lee did not publish them.

The rest of your comments I agree with.

I consider balance as a part of mobility.

::
    strike!

Hello Yenhoi,

Yes I realize that the Tao was a compilation of notes. But I don't think that John Little was the editor. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first Bruce Lee book John Little edited was Commentaries on the martial way. Anyway that's a minor point. I'm splitting hairs.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Eh. Same diff to me, still not the man himself.

strike!

There is only one fighting stance in Jkd you need to know, and practice very hard .I am sure you know it, just incase you do not it is called the by-jon (on guard fighting stance). It is drawn from fencing, just because it is the shortest distance between two points. That is why Bruce chose the by-jon because he did not want you to telegraph your attack. Leading with the right is the most preferred side in Jkd, because 95 % of fighters hit with the right hand, so why not put it forward to reach your opponent faster and with less damage to one hand. However, if you are lefty than you lead with your left side forward. As far as boxing is concerned, you are mistaking footwork with the stance. There is another stance that was used by Bruce, only when he did forms from wing Chun, like siu leem tau (little idea) it was called the yee Jee kim yin ma (character 2 pigeon toe horse stance, or goat restraining stance.) it is not a fighting stance.
    Good luck peace, love, Jkd

flyin troll stance
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest