Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shaolin Abbot is an *******!

KC Elbows Guest
    Okay, one more before I go back to work.

The other problem I have with the initial plea is that it sounds much like the criticisms that the chinese were leveling against each other throughout the cultural revolution, at least in style and content. "Help us against the tyrant <place political opponent here> who crushes the people beneath his iron boot, for he has <place crime here>".

It might all be true, but I'm not going to assume it is.

diego Guest

hey kc

any info on 6elbows on the net or could you script a little history....

friday Guest
    hmmm...one of my kung fu friends feels rather strongly about this issue. He thinks that the shaolin kung fu monks are a load of rubbish. contrived bs to take advantage of the shaolin movie etc. just a big $$$ making tourist attraction thing.
    Just out of interest are the following facts true?
    shoalin was a pile of rubble for a long time until the success of the shaolin movie?
    the 'monks' were just people who studied or taught kung fu near the school etc.
    I have respect for authentic shaolin masters, but if the shaolin temple is just a fake group of monks as part of a corrupt money making scheme integrated with the PRC communist regime...that really stinks.
    anyway hahaa i know this adds nothing to the topic but thought i might say something too

yours truly

Stumblefist Guest

Kansas City Blues

KC: The only thing I'll give you is that calling the fellow lazy was out of line or needed to be placed in context without the calling.
    If not for that i wouldn't have replied here. Look stick to KC and sing the blues there, you'll get deep mugged in the outside world cuz you're just really foggy.

"Without water there would be no fish"

KC Elbows Guest
    Friday, I don't know the truth of that. I've heard(again this is only heresay, there are others here that have more first hand experience and more sufficient history) that actual monks did take part in remaking the temple. If memory serves correctly, some monks were in hiding during the cultural revolution, but from there I don't know much. However, I'm quite sure there are also a lot of martial artists posing as monks, but whether any of these have any actual relation to the temple I don't know. Also, it must be kept in mind that one can be a shaolin monk in a traditional sense and still practice no martial arts.

Diego, I'm in the process of picking my sifu's brain and his teacher's brain so I can put together a decent history of six elbows. Here's my two cents. Six elbows is a southern style of kung fu with strong influences of mantis and hsing yi. The style consists of an external pre-form, an intermediate external form called Little Buddha, An internal-external form called Bi Da(my spelling might be WAAAY off) and an lengthy internal form called Bi Da Luk Chuan(again, my spelling is probably suspect). The internal form holds the core of the system. Broadsword and spear are also practiced. In the U.S., six elbows is taught by Chun Man Sit, who is also a practitioner of Wu style tai chi. He's had some articles on tai chi published, though I don't know of any six elbows articles out there. He learned six elbows in Hong Kong, though I'll save his teachers name for another post, as I'd feel like an idiot if I got the name wrong or mutilated it in any way.

The art is especially good at very close range fighting, although long and middle range are not ignored. Sticky hands is practiced, though the sticky hands is more circular than wing chun.

If you're ever in the area, Diego, I'd be glad to take you to the different six-elbows teachers here. Although all have trained under Sit, each has their own flavor, and their own intensity.

As far as the group I practice with, we train very hard, and are very fight oriented. My sifu doesn't train for money, so we can keep a very high intensity level without worrying who stays with us and who leaves, but we treat all comers with friendship.

I'll get more info later.

KC Elbows Guest
    Hope I wasn't too "foggy". :rolleyes: