Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantis Quarterly

Mantis Quarterly PDF Download

Greetings,

We have finally gotten a PDF copy of the first issue of Mantis Quarterly on our website for download. Anyone interested in having a look can see it at www.mantisquarterly.com

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Steve Cottrell
    Last edited by MantisifuFW; 06-28-2003 at 07:01 PM.

I have just read your first copy, and I must admit being a Southern stylist I found it a really interesting read. In fact it has me considering taking up Northern 7*Mantis to practice along side my Choy Lee Fut.

I look forward to seeing your Mantis Quarterly continue to grow over the next few years, to become a major publication the world over, a nice glossy colourful magazine that all other Martial Arts the world over can be envious of.

Keep up the great work

Thanks

Chaz,

Thank you for your kind comments. We have done our best to make Mantis Quarterly the kind of quality representation our art deserves. We have contributors from all over the world and from all lines of Tanglang so the information will be comprehensive. The articles are well researched and contain information useful to everyone from basic practitioners to advanced.

It is my intent that students subscribe through their instructors so that the instructors can read the material also and be able to answer questions as they arise. There has been a misconception that Mantis Quarterly is for advanced practitioners only. Nothing could be further from the truth. Mantis Quarterly is intended for students of the art and in many cases it is intended to be the kind of high quality newsletter we all wish we could provide for our students but that we don't have the time to do. I have schools who have signed up their entire student base, (this is how we have already paid for our first year). Those who get Mantis Quarterly will have the best informed students overall.

If interest and support holds, we might yet expand our size and scope.

Again, thanks for your kind comments,

Steve Cottrell

Id be interested if you began running full subscriptions to individuals.

Only pm I know is what I learn in SD, but Id really like to expand my base knowledge of it. Barnes and nobles is really in lack of good PM literature.

Additions to site

Shaolin Do,

Indeed, as we approach our second year we may reconsider individual subscriptions. I have been really impressed by the numbers of folks who have written wanting to subscribe as individuals though we have been directing the Quarterly to schools. It seems there is a wider interest among practitioners who do Tanglang along with other arts than I had originally thought.

On another note, we have now put up a page with the topics of the past three newsletters outlined with the authors so folks can see the kinds of articles we have been presenting.

Thanks for your encouragement. Sorry it took me a while to respond, we have been putting the third issue to bed and it did not want to go quietly...

Steve Cottrell

Just received volume 1, very informative reading ! Especially enjoyed Shrfu Kevin Brazier`s "the two person set". Hopefully we will hear more from Kevin in the future. It was nice to see Master Shr ZhengZhong`s name mentioned, he is remarkable!

Really nice publication, thanks for putting the first issue up! I'd be one of those "individuals" interested in subscribing, thanks.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

really enjoyed reading! especially the artical by kevin brazier, also liked master shr zhengzhong's method on teaching two-person sets. nice lion dance information.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    very good issue. much appreciation of your efforts.

Will you eventually be placing all of the issues up as a .pdf ???

If not, add another vote for individual subscriptions?

I too liked Kevin's article. It seems like he could certainly go into more detail and that would be very interesting to read (hint)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yu Shan, SAMantis, Oso, bungbo,

Thank you for your kind evaluation of our efforts.

Kevin, aka Tainan Mantis, has contributed more to the Quarterly in the form of a training drill called Wai Gua Shou appearing in the third issue. It is a photographic display of a two person set. I hope to hear more from him too.

In the second issue, Sifu Hui, Tai Chi Tanglang, contributed some excellent information on training with the wooden dummy and Shifu Buenviage of the Philippines has contributed an article on body conditioning in Tanglang that will be in the fourth issue.

In each issue we try to get the best information possible from experienced sifu and present it in a clear format. We will probably not put future issues on the website, hoping that schools who are not yet on board will eventually join in order to be a part of this. However there will be Tanglang information from all lines available on the website eventually but not the Quarterly.

Additionally we will be seriously considering individual subscriptions for the future. The response from schools has been strong enough that I believe we will be able to afford the added handling costs individual subscriptions represent in the future.

Again, thank you all for your interest. Has anyone seen the second issue yet? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Cottrell

Announcement

Greetings,

The breaking news is that Lee Kam Wing has submitted an article to Mantis Quarterly. It is the first article that he has submitted to any publication that he wrote himself and did so in Chinese. We have translators on staff and have made an appropriate English rendering of his work.

This submission is significant in that the senior members of the Tanglang community are recognising the Mantis Quarterly as the publication of practitioners world wide.

We appreciate Lee Kam Wing's support. We hope that all Lee Kam Wing associated schools will follow his lead in supporting Mantis Quarterly.

Sincerely,

Steve Cottrell

Very very cool!!!

I'm really looking foreward to read the next quaterly...!
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...

Woo Hoo!

Greetings,

I would like to announce that Shifu Ilya Profatilov and Shifu Wang Rengang have both offered articles on their respective lines of Tanglang.

Shifu Wang Rengang, know to many here because of his knowledgeable posts on Dacheng and Hao style Tanglang has offered a technical article on his art. Having trained with him and seen his skill I personally look forward to this.

Shifu Ilya Profatilov has offered a historical article that promises to be extensive and significant. (Like everything he presents)! After his article in AJMA, I cannot wait to see what he has for us next!

The support of these talented and knowledgeable practitioners is greatly appreciated.

Steve Cottrell

www.mantisquarterly.com

Thumbs up Bravo!

All round congratulations to Sifu Cottrell and the Mantis Quarterly team. I am so happy and really taken by surprise the support the MQ is receiving. So many high profile mantis practitioners putting their supports behind the project. I would said this is unprecedented in Mantis publications history! Even in Mantis community, this type of coming together is rarely rarely seem before. Two thumbs way up. I think this really calls for a celebration of sort. Hopefully one day we will have an all Mantis gathering like we had discussed before. I think the momentum is there. All it takes is someone or some organizations to get the ball rolling. This is just very exciting!

Sincerely,

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Article

Sifu Kai Uwe Pel,

Indeed we would be interested. I will email you off list to discuss the details.

It would be great for someone with your experience to share your technical and historical knowledge with the community.

Sincerely,

Steve Cottrell