Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantis Quarterly

Re: Bravo!

Originally posted by mantis108
    I think this really calls for a celebration of sort. Hopefully one day we will have an all Mantis gathering like we had discussed before. I think the momentum is there. All it takes is someone or some organizations to get the ball rolling. This is just very exciting!

Sincerely,

Mantis108
    Mantis 108,

I too am amazed at the growth and positive attitude of the community. We have participants from all lines of Tanglang now both in subscriptions and submission of articles. The participation of major personalities in the Tanglang community in terms of organizations, technical knowledge and ability has gone far beyond what I had envisioned for the Quarterly's first year.

As for a mantis meeting, I am researching the possibilities. Accessablity to the majority of the international community, timeframe, length and scope are all under examination. When I get a proposal together I would like to send it to you and a few others to review. Your ideas on who should participate, what would qualify them to do so, (such as being involved in the Quarterly through subscription or submission among other things) are all up for discussion.

I initially would have thought that such a gathering would be some time away. However, now, (though I still think so), I am less dogmatic about it. The community is moving with a speed now that I am trying to keep up with, providing its own momentum and energy to go with the information. I believe that we will all know when it is time.

Anyway, I have rambled enough. Thank you and the many others who are making this thing a success.

Sincerely,

Steve Cottrell

Thumbs up Grats,...

I'm really happy that your idea of creating an international mantis magazine where the art is discussed on a very high level begins to bear fruits now. It's a great thing and you can be really really proud about it. Cool, Steve!
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...

Thumbs up Mantis Gathering

Hi Sifu Cottrell,

As for a mantis meeting, I am researching the possibilities. Accessablity to the majority of the international community, timeframe, length and scope are all under examination. When I get a proposal together I would like to send it to you and a few others to review. Your ideas on who should participate, what would qualify them to do so, (such as being involved in the Quarterly through subscription or submission among other things) are all up for discussion.
    That sounds like a plan. I'll be honored to the share my ideas for such awesome event(s). BTW, I would said it should be a gigantic Mantis fair or convention with a workshop galore.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Sifu Cottrell,

I am going to get the latest issue from my Sifu tonight if he has any more left. I hope he has the second issue as well. Are you makein back issues available? Also when you begin to sell individual subscriptions have you thought to provide the issue as a PDF for subscribers only? It may cut down on your handeling costs, but would slightly increase your web hosting/admin costs. Just a thought.

PAMantis

Great Minds...

PAmantis,

You and my editor, (a professional who publishes for a living), suggested the same thing from the beginning. She also said that the costs would be far less going the on line route despite the hosting costs for the same type of thing the newspapers use for subscribers. (Either way her fees are the same but the publishing costs, handling, postage would be eliminated). IN terms of costs and efficency you are apparently spot on, as they say. (Something I did not know).

However, I continue to think that I want it in the hands of students and so I want to keep with the paper production for a while at least. My idea is that eventually schools will sign up people when they sign up for classes as a way to help educate their student population. Thats why we have kept costs to a minimum so that everyone could afford it. My hope is that it will become the published voice of the community. Maybe I am just old fashioned.

You may be on to the future of publication in general and maybe MQ too.

Steve Cottrell

Sifu Cottrell, you made a statement about hoping schools sign up their students for the mantis quarterly to help educate their student population. Personally I wouldn't want my Sifu to have to do that. If my Sifu is a Sifu, than he should be able to educate me himself. Also what makes the people who are writing articles for your publication right about the information they are giving. How do I know that they know what they are talking about? How do I know that they are even good tong long practitioners. I do not mean any offense by this, but you can't believe every thing you read.

Originally posted by RSA
    Sifu Cottrell, you made a statement about hoping schools sign up their students for the mantis quarterly to help educate their student population. Personally I wouldn't want my Sifu to have to do that. If my Sifu is a Sifu, than he should be able to educate me himself.
    This is true. If you have a Sifu that is willing and ABLE to educate you in many of the different styles of PM (Tai Chi, Plum Blossum, 6 Harmonies, etc.) and all of their different variations, that is fantastic! Even in 7*, there is a difference between Qing Dao, Yentai, Shanghai, and HK. But some PM practicioners aren't interested in these other PM styles anyway. Nothing wrong with that. They have enough to learn within their own style of PM. Some PM practicitioners ARE interested in many different styles of PM, like me.
    Also what makes the people who are writing articles for your publication right about the information they are giving. How do I know that they know what they are talking about? How do I know that they are even good tong long practitioners.
    You DON't know if they know what they're talking about, plain and simple. You don't know if all those articles published in "Inside Kung-Fu", "Kung-Fu Qi Gong", "People" magazine, or the "New York Times" are legitimate, either.

I do not mean any offense by this, but you can't believe every thing you read.
    This is absolutely true! You can't even believe everything you SEE on MSNBC or CNN, either. You have to use your own judgement in what you read, see, and hear. Still, if you don't think that the Mantis Quarterly will give you anything your mind can chew on, tell your Sifu that you want no part of it (I hope you don't do that). I don't think he will force you to read it. I'm sure he will make up his own mind, and so will the other students at your school aware that such a publication exists. Maybe your Sifu could publish an article in the Mantis Quarterly, and share his knowledge with us (I have absolutely no say in this matter).

By the way, have you ever read the Mantis Quarterly? They had a very good article on the Tai Chi PM Wooden-Dummy.

I would like to add that I could forsee something published in the Mantis Quarterly that might go directly against something that a PM Sifu is teaching his students. It could happen with Tai-Chi articles also. Should a Tai-Chi Sifu tell his students to never read articles or books about Tai-Chi, because they might conflict with what he is teaching them about Tai-Chi? Some Tai-Chi Sifus would say "Yes".

RSA

Just a thought and a question. There is no Sifu in the world that knows everything about all PM styles or even their speciality. This is an attempt to broaden all of our horizons, and share experience and knowledge. Do you really think that any Sifu can teach you everything? Do you really think that by learning from just one person you can learn all that there is to learn? Many of the great Sifu out there have spent their lives learning for many teachers, and the best will even be able to learn from their students. Is the pursuit of knowledge that repulsive to you that you do not welcome the opprotunity to at least have information presented to you so that you can decide whether you believe it or not? And one last question, how do you know that what your Sifu says is true? You can't believe everything you are told.

Just a few thoughts.

PAMantis

RSA

Its good that you are a skeptic as it will keep you away from many things that other will fall prey to. If you only want to learn from your Sifu, I must commend you again on your loyalty. I will commend you even more if you stick with just one system untill you learn it completely.

What I cannot understand is blind prejudice to the rest of the mantis world just because they are not your "immediate family". The education I believe Sifu Cottrell is speaking of is the elimination of ignorance to the significance that each Mantis family has to contribute to the rest.

Knowing what Mainland China is actually doing vs. what you hear second-hand. Knowing folks in Europe/Asia/South America etc.,.etc., have practitioners that are serious and seeing what they do vs. what you might imagine they did.

I believe the Mantis Quarterly _IS_ the tool to eliminate NPM's ignorances of each other & make us a tighter world community, as we should be.

If you do not wish to read it, I understand it from your point of view; but remember, there is a world out there & Mantis is all around it.

Best Wishes,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Originally posted by PAMantis
    Are you makein back issues available? PAMantis
    PAMantis,

Sorry for not answering you sooner on this. Yes, we will have back issues available for subscribing schools.

I have more news concerning the Quarterly to come up soon. We have had yet another country to add to the list and more significant instructors offer articles!

Woo Hoo, (appologies to Homer Simpson).

Steve Cottrell

Thats the point

@ BeiTangLang:

Congratulation for your post!

Thats exactly what is important and I wish more people here in germany would think the same way! Especially the mantis people ...
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

PA Mantis:

Your questions are all very good and new students should consider them when looking for literature on their style. All I can draw from is my personal impression on this issue - I'm passing 3.5 years in my style and have noticed my perspective on MA literature has changed along with my understanding.

When I began martial arts, I read almost everything I could get my hands on - not just PM but every MA out there, CMA, JMA, whatever. And I was full of questions for my instructor, who very patiently said, it's OK to read all you can, but it's more important to practice your art and learn from that.

Comparing myself now to the rank beginner I was (I'm still a beginner in most ways, though), I find that I read less than I practice (good). However, I still find value in much of what I read, perhaps more so with a bit of practical foundation. Not all of it can be applied to my art, but it is good comparative reading. I certainly wouldn't come rushing into class saying "hey, we should do it like it says in this magazine," and neither would most MA students. But it's all food for thought.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Pa Mantis, you asked me how I know what my Sifu says is true, and that you can't believe everything you hear. Well that is true you can't believe everything you are told but I believe what I see and I believe what I feel. I have seen my Sifu perform and I have felt his techniques first hand, and both are done flawlessly. I know what he tells me is true because he backs it up all of the time. I am not repulsed by knowledge but I believe in my Sifu and I don't need to go anywhere else.

Originally posted by RSA
    I have seen my Sifu perform and I have felt his techniques first hand, and both are done flawlessly. I know what he tells me is true because he backs it up all of the time... I am not repulsed by knowledge but I believe in my Sifu and I don't need to go anywhere else.
    That is great that you have a Sifu who, from what your saying, is very knowledgable, and willing to share his knowledge with you. Sifus like that are hard to come across these days.
    I am not repulsed by knowledge but I believe in my Sifu and I don't need to go anywhere else.
    Sounds like you're not interested in reading Mantis Quarterly. It also sounds like you're convinced reading about PM somehow means you don't believe in your Sifu, or have lost faith in him. Maybe it makes you feel like your disrespecting your Sifu. Don't read it if it makes you feel like that!

Would you read Mantis Quarterly if your Sifu approved of it?

Question hmm

RSA:

Youīre a very loyal student. for that your Sifu could quite be happy!

BUT:
    Donīt you think, that your post could be read: hey, my Sifu is the only one to know the right things and all the others are just bad and liars?
    If you donīt think so, please write in a different kind ....

And: when you donīt want to hear, what other PA Practioners have to say/write, why are you here on this board?????
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site