Thread: Extended back strain...

Extended back strain...

Around December last year i strained my lower back picking up a heavy box. Went to see doctor and he said it's slight strain, take it easy on activities and rest the lower back, and use deep heat and hot water bottle. After a couple of past i regained some movement of the back, still careful not to use it to its full potential, spoke to a few people, and asked on here, and it was agreed that slowly getting back into routine was best. I got fully back into training, and could do all movement (with caution), as in touching toes.

The back slowly healed, and i was still cautious, and during CNY i lion danced (some manoeuvres extremely back-intensive) and it held up, but with slight pain. this pain was there, and i could feel it, but i could use the back to it's 'full' potential...so i thought that it'll heal after a while. Some cold mornings i'd wake up and won't be able to touch my toes (almost back at square 1)

Well it's now almost 8 months after it hurt it, and it's still the 'same'. I wake up on certain mornings, and it pains a lot to slightly bend my back. Other times when it's 'good' i have full movement, but the pain is there slightly. I don't use any deep heat or hot water bottle. I still train, but training is good...if your back hurts, you're doing something wrong.

What to doo...go back doctor? haven't bene for a few months. I'm only 19yo and i figured back pain at this age can't be good.

thanks.

What kind of doctor did you see? In my experience, MD's can do almost nothing for chronic back pain - drugs & surgery are really all they can offer. I'd suggest seeing either an experienced massage therapist (cranio-sacral & Thai massage are two good modalities for addressing back pain) or a reputable chiropractor. Note the "experienced" & "reputable." There are quacks out there for sure but don't let that scare you away from what can be valuable treatment. You also could go see a TCM practitioner but I don't personally know how effective acupuncture, herbs, etc. are for managing back pain.

Back pains and injuries can happen at any age. Being young is no protection, nor does it mean that you will recover 100%

Most of the causes are bad posture and wrong training over an extended period.

Monkey mind made some good suggestions.

Either way speak to your Sifu too and make him aware of the problem, many good Sifu are also trained to a degree in TCM and similar.

Cheers.

I went to see an experienced chiropractor, but maybe get a second opinion. He said it was a common, slight strain, and i should recover fully without hassle. Haven't talked to my Sifu in a while, but I'll definitely ask him now you've mentioned it.

I'm wondering if there are any daily exercisers or any sort that could help...heard of some before on this board, but lost the post.

Spread legs 1.5 shoulder width or more, keep back and legs straight, bend at the hips like you were doing a "good morning" exercise - do not curve your back - stay in the bottom position, grasp the top of one hand with the other, push forward with your palms facing out, drop and come back to your chest, look at hands at all times. Repeat 21 times. This should work your hamstrings and lower back pretty well. It's an exercise I learned in Praying Mantis as part of warmups. Especially effective after horse stance practice.

Try some yoga and gymnastic bridging, too.