Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wah lum

wah lum

what are your people's take on this system?

I learned a form tonight from the system called little mantis and i was alright, not that great i thought. and my kwan do form i have is wah lum which i like.

There are a lot of schools around here that teach the wah lum system and my school was one of the first just to do shaolin. maybe its because of the bad rep's of the wah lum schools around here, they taight forms without any power or spirit. eh . now they are all going to shaolin. plus there is a big wah lum school in boston.

Here we go again.....

Shaolinlueb-

There has been extensive discussion on this board regarding Wah Lum. I suggest you do a search and read some of the past threads. As someone who has been there and done that, I'll put my two cents in (again) now:

WL has GREAT froms, especially weapon sets. I have the utmost respect for MC and his skill and accomplishments. However, most current WL students (and teachers) would rather do wushu and call it WL.......That's the reason behind the dissatisfaction that you are referring to.

Jack
    "Do not follow in the footsteps of the men of old, seek what they sought"

agh i forgot about the almighty search button. my bad.

Grandmaster Chan Poi is definitely an electrifying performer.

Does anyone know of any fights Master Chan was in? Was he ever challenged or had to fight for his life? Or you think Master Chan keeps these things to himself and avoids telling anyone?

Well, sigung keeps most of those things to himself. From what I understand, traditionally when masters challenged each other to trade hands they did so with little fanfare, in a neutral place, and did not talk about the results afterward. (My source on this is from an article about Jack Man Wong's challenge match with Bruce Lee, it's on the Internet somewhere, if I can find a link I'll post it.)

The only challenge match I can tell you about is a well-known (among WL students) story. In the 1970s a TKD stylist walked into MC's original school (across the street from my office BTW) and challenged him to a match. MC said, "OK, but only if you follow me onto the street." The challenger agreed, only to watch as MC jumped out the open 2nd-story window onto the sidewalk. MC then turned and beckoned the challenger to come down. The TKD stylist immediately withdrew his challenge and left -- by the stairs.

A 2nd-story window isn't much by Oom Yung Doe standards, but MC did have to gauge the outward distance of the jump since the steel support beams of the green line el are less than a sidewalk's width from that window.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Wow. That's amazing.

You train Wah Lum with Bob Rosen in Chinatown? I used to train under him back in 94'-96'.

Yep, just finishing my 1st yr. in Boston and about 9 months with Sifu Rosen (couldnt' start right away bc I injured my back moving up here).
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I'm sorry to hear bout your back.

Bob Rosen's a great teacher.

I bet you know Taras. He's a friend of mine.

Cool -- Taras is teaching now (if he wasn't when you were there). Excellent athlete & martial artist.

He joined Wah Lum just before I left there. We used to train together at Wah Lum. He came from a wrestling and Long Fist background in Russia. Yeah, Taras is very good. And a real good guy. We still hang out every now and then.

Unhappy

It's a small world, after all.

wah lum

The form "little mantis" is a fun form to practice, packed with explosive energy. You didn`t learn this whole form in one night did you? Anyway, MC must have liked it also. Alot of times when called out, he would do this form. Big Mantis is my favorite WL hand form. Tainan Mantis says this is Wah Lum`s (Bung Bu). Can anyone comment on this? Also I have seen (3) versions of Big Mantis. One was Chan Wan Ching`s version, the other was Lee Kwan Shan`s and I cannot remember the third. With a little research, could answer this.

Have a good weekend!

YS

Hey that's cool stuff what was the difference?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

I heard MC created forms 1-6 and am pretty sure this is accurate.
    Can does anyone know what other forms he created and which ones he was taught by Chan Wan Ching or LKS?

Also, What are Tam tui form sets that are listed in the curriculum?

Thanks,

Yu Shan, good to hear you back on board. HOpe all is well.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Big Mantis

The direction and general movement the same, handwork was the differance. LKS had more knife hand like tech. I`ll get back to you on this, seeing the differant versions was fascinating to me.

Two other WL forms that need notoriety, Fan Cha and 5th Form. WL 5th form is brutal, just my opinion...