Thread: Baby Monks (shami)

Baby Monks (shami)

I always knew this was a thing (I have a karaoke baby monk figurine on my desk that holds my business cards) but I never knew they held contests for it.

50 kids compete for "most lovely Buddhist baby" title in E China
    (Xinhua) 08:45, May 03, 2016

NANJING, May 2, 2016 (Xinhua) -- Kids wearing Buddhist clothing take part in an event of " finding the most lovely Buddhist baby" at the Qixia Mountain scenic spot in Nanjing, capital of east China's Jiangsu Province, May 1, 2016. The most lovely Buddhist baby will be voted by netizens from a total of 50 kids at the age of 3 to 5, who walked around a Buddhist pagoda, stringed Buddhist beads and tasted Buddhist cuisine in the event on May 1. (Xinhua/Li Wenbao)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More cute Shaolin kids

3-year-old rises again to finish kung fu show
    2016-10-18 06:20:01 GMT2016-10-18 14:20:01(Beijing Time) Ecns.cn

A child performs kung fu in a contest during the 11th Shaolin Kung Fu International Festival in Zhengzhou City, the capital of Central China’s Henan Province, Oct. 17, 2016. The child, who is about three years old, tumbled during the performance and was helped up by the judge to finish the contest. (Photo/CFP)A child performs kung fu in a contest during the 11th Shaolin Kung Fu International Festival in Zhengzhou City, the capital of Central China’s Henan Province, Oct. 17, 2016. The child, who is about three years old, tumbled during the performance and was helped up by the judge to finish the contest. (Photo/CFP)

A child performs kung fu in a contest during the 11th Shaolin Kung Fu International Festival in Zhengzhou City, the capital of Central China’s Henan Province, Oct. 17, 2016. The child, who is about three years old, tumbled during the performance and was helped up by the judge to finish the contest. (Photo/CFP)A child performs kung fu in a contest during the 11th Shaolin Kung Fu International Festival in Zhengzhou City, the capital of Central China’s Henan Province, Oct. 17, 2016. The child, who is about three years old, tumbled during the performance and was helped up by the judge to finish the contest. (Photo/CFP)

China luvs her baby monks...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shami

The proper term for a young Shaolin practitioner is 'Shami'. I'm adding that here now because I was just searching this term and couldn't pull up this thread.

Shaolin’s 3-year-old warrior monk kicks up fame
    Source:Global Times Published: 2018/12/11 19:08:39

A 3-year-old monk learns kung fu at China's famed Shaolin Temple in Central China's Henan Province. Source: Pear Video

Video of a 3-year-old monk learning kung fu at China's famed Shaolin Temple has gone viral on social media.

The little warrior monk, identified only as "Xiao****ou," showed off his serious martial arts skills at the 1,500-year-old temple in Central China's Henan Province on Tuesday.

"He's clever and cute," his teacher told Pear Video. "He follows everything I teach him and even learns things faster than some of the older students."

The video shows the boy demonstrating punches, kicks and even skills with a staff.

"I never expected he would be so popular," said Xiao****ou's mother, who sent him to train at the temple at eight months earlier to "keep fit and exercise."

However, she admits the decision wasn't easy. "I worry about him and miss him all the time," she said.

Some praised her decision on Sina Weibo.

"It's a good idea to send children to learn kung fu before they go to regular school," "Xingyun52zuijiaxuanshou" wrote.

Others thought it may do more harm than good.

"Isn't it too early for the mom to leave her kid?" wrote "Fengyouaifuying."

Pear Video
    Shoot, I saw this vid but now I can't find it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Found it

But it's embedded so you have to follow the link. It's not that amazing if you been to Shaolin. This sort of stuff is all over there.

Watch three years old little monk’s kung fu talent
    BEIJING: The video of three-year-old monk practicing martial arts has gone viral on social media.

The video of little Shaolin monk with remarkable martial arts talent was shared by China Daily.

The video has recently gone viral.

The 3-year-old, nicknamed "Little Stone", began practicing martial arts, or kung fu, in March in Central China’s Henan Province.

The little boy studies very hard and practices five hours a day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

5-year-old Kung Fu boy learns martial arts at China's Shaolin Temple

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

6-year old shami

There's a vid behind the link.

MONKY BUSINESS Six-year-old Shaolin warrior monks hang from trees and balance on tall poles as masters drill them in Kung-Fu
    Stunning footage shows the trainee warrior monks showing off their strength and flexibility at the Shaolin school of Buddhism in Dengfeng, China.
    By Jacob Dirnhuber
    3rd April 2019, 12:54 pm Updated: 3rd April 2019, 1:38 pm

FORGET Fortnite binges and fistfuls of sugary snacks – these Chinese six-year-olds spend their mornings hanging sideways from poles and learning kung-fu.

Stunning footage shows the trainee warrior monks showing off their strength and flexibility at the Shaolin school of Buddhism in Dengfeng, China.

The pint-sized monks are put through gruelling strength and flexibility regimes

The pint-sized monks are put through gruelling strength and flexibility regimes

One child can be seen grimacing as he holds onto a tree with his back and legs – while another practices kicks on top of a narrow pole.

Other kids can be seen hanging painfully from bars, while a master puts four kids through a gruelling martial arts regime.

Monk master Yan Huan said: “When they came here they were delicate little kids, knowing nothing.

“After continuous exercise they grow up to be young men with strong characters

“If they could overcome these small difficulties and setbacks, they can suffer anything when they grow up.”

The mysterious fighting style of Shaolin Kung Fu is one of the oldest forms of the technique in the world.

Developed in Henan province, China, it combines Zen Buddhism and martial arts.

Kids can be seen grimacing as they grip trees with their backs and legs
    Others can be seen hanging painfully from bars

Others can be seen hanging painfully from bars

Two more were forced to practice kicks on narrow wooden poles
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hmmmmn....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'd cry too...

Watch: Shaolin Kids Shed Tears While Practicing Martial Arts, Video Viral

By: Buzz Staff
    Local News Desk
    Last Updated: AUGUST 27, 2022, 18:50 IST
    Delhi, India

Their discipline, technique, strength, and flexibility are known to be unmatched.Their discipline, technique, strength, and flexibility are known to be unmatched.
    Recently, a video of young kids shedding tears while practising painful techniques went viral on social media.

Martial arts need a lot of discipline from a participant. You seldom find a martial artist slacking away during practice or even otherwise. While there are numerous renowned martial artists around the world, there’s hardly anyone who ranks above the martial artists of Shaolin. Their discipline, technique, strength, and flexibility are known to be unmatched.

It is difficult to achieve their level of efficiency in a short time. It takes several years of hard work, pain, sweat and tears to reach the level of a Shaolin martial artist. They start at a very young age, as young as 3 to 4 years sometimes, and are said to constantly learn to better themselves. Recently, a video of young kids shedding tears while practising painful techniques went viral on social media.

The video was shared by ‘Special Times’ on July 27. It gives netizens a sneak peek into Shaolin kids’ practice sessions for martial arts. The three-minute-long video starts with a child wrapped around a tree. With his eyes closed and his body wrapped around the tree, he is seen meditating to improve his flexibility. The next footage shows a Shaolin monk stretching a child’s upper body backwards while his lower body remained straight. A lot of such techniques, which help improve the balance and flexibility of the body, have been showcased in the video.
    The vid is embedded so you have to follow the link to view it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

of course it looks grueling yet I make the same face stretching so I dont think its because they are children lol
    I've always admired the Shaolin kids, and really their wisdom, adaptability, courage and endurance.
    Having a 3 year old and a 5 year old myself, and watching them try training and how fast they learn, things they find difficult, or easy,
    it makes me respect the "baby monks" and their teachers tremendously!

Amituofo!
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator