Thread: My new plan...

My new plan...

I have 2 working weeks until Kuoshu… I would like to add 5 QUALITY lbs to my skiny little frame before hand… posible? I don't know… but will try…

MON-WED-FRI - Lunch>>>
    *Arms… rotational strength on the pulleys… hyper(reverse?) for lowerback… to work on my structural weaknesses…

TU-TH - Home>>>
    *DL's 5x5… not sure about other movements yet…

WED-FRI-SAT - Evening>>>
    *San Shou

TU-TH - early morning>>>
    *San Shou

that' the beginings of my plan so far… trying to figure out were I can fit my hi-rep work in…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I hear the abslide is pretty good.

Weren't you just trying to lose weight a couple weeks ago?

yeah… and I made out OK… not what I wanted to make… but it's all good… I want a little more 'padding' for the kuoshu… and next month I'll be crying again about loosing weight again…

p.s. DL's grease the groove style on the other days…

edit - i don't know about the abslide but the thick chick from The Firm might get me to spend $$$ ...

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Just starting my routine as well. I'll post it, not to brag that i'm getting results from it, but maybe to give you some ideas of what I'm doin and why.

I'm lazy.
    I also know that I overtrain real easy; especially when it comes to weights, plus I'm working out a good 5 to 6 days a week of martial arts as it is.

As a result, I went with 2 half-body workouts; so I only hit the weights twice a week. I also like keepin my total # of sets under 20; and my reps around 10 per set.

Upper Body
    Dips & Pullups
    - 3 supersets on the assist machines (cuz I'm weak)
    Dumbell Flat Bench - 1 to 2 sets
    Bent Dumbbell Row - 1 to 2 sets
    Dumbell Flies - 1 set
    Dumbell Reverse Flies - 1 set
    Dumbell Military Press - 1 to 2 sets
    Upright Rows- 1 to 2 sets
    Dumbell Kickbacks - 1 to 2 sets
    Seated Rows - 1 to 2 sets
    Tricep extensions- 1 set apiece
    Dumbell curls - 1 set apiece

Lower Body
    Squat - 3 sets (I do a calf raise at the high point)
    Deadlift - 3 sets (do a shrug at the high point)
    Quad Kick Outs - 2 sets
    Hamstring curls - 2 sets
    Abductor - 1 to 2 sets
    Adductor - 1 to 2 sets
    Lunges - finish up with a lap or 2 with one of them wussy aerobic bars.

I know the single set thing makes this workout look real haphazard; but overtraining has always been my biggest enemy. It usually kills me before i really even get started into a workout.

Plus, I read somewhere (tmag.com I think) that there's not a huge difference between 1 set versus 3 (but that 3 was better of course).

The 10 reps with few sets vs a smaller number of reps (like 5) and more sets might be a mistake. I just figured hypertrophy (best for size vs pure strength) would help me keep the muscle that my calorie restrictive diet will want to take away.

If we're gonna be doing the T-TH morning things again; this may become my Wed-Fri routine or somethin. So are Wed nights still on? Did they change the time? Weekday evenings might be a problem for me until our tournament's done.

I'd appreciate any comments from anybody reading.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

E - the battle of the lazies begin...
    one thing you might want to consider is lowering the # of exercises to... lets say... you favorite 3... and try 3x10... or whatever...
    another idea would be... break them up into an A and B group... u know the 1st on is A... the 2nd exercise is B... the next one is A... and on down the line... than on your upperbody day do the A group... than on the next... do the B group... etc...
    just some thots to waste time...

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

SunTzu, is this for the Baltimore Lei Tai Tournament at like the end of July? We are not flying out there this year I think, although I am still debating on coming out there to fight. What weight class you doing? You see that lightweight guy last year pop his elbow the wrong way, stand up and then pass out?
    -Golden Arms-

yah basically the whole upper body workout is just detailed variations on 6 exercises:
    dip
    pull/chinup
    dumbell press
    bent/seated rows
    arms (curls and extensions)
    (maybe some shoulders in there too)

I just hit it from different angles, as separate exercises, instead of makin it one big exercise.

Another version had me doin decline, flat, incline, and military for the press; while doing seated, bent, upright rows, and pulldowns for the pull.

I'm still playin with it though and I'll keep that in mind when i'm doin it.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

The main reason I prefer more sets with less reps is because (for me) it's easier to maintain good form...which reduces the risk of injury due to bad form. Plus I can lift more weight doing 10 sets of 5 than 5 sets of 10 reps.

One thing I've really been trying to focus on is timing during my ROM. It's much more difficult to complete 15 sets of 5 reps on the BP using a 401 (4 seconds down, 0 second pause, 1 second up) pattern than a 201. It also makes my titties and tri's shake more afterwards.

yep...I'm trying to tip the scales at 155… that would be my heaviest ever in a fight… I missed the elbow thing… thankfully… last year i was at Born to Fight in Ca....

ew... i never really paid much attention to my pacing of the reps... might give it some thot...
    Last edited by Suntzu; 07-02-2003 at 12:28 PM.

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

anything that makes ewallace's titties shake has to be a good thing.

as far as i know, the logic behind a 401 is that it uses the different types of muscle fibers (quick fire, slow fire, etc.) a bit better.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA