View Poll Results: What is a "Grandmaster?"

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • A master whose student(s) has become a master

8 44.44%
  • The holder(s) of a certain lineage/system

6 33.33%
  • A Grandmaster as recognized by Chinese govt.

1 5.56%
  • The head of a martial arts organization

0 0%
  • One who has reached x degree of mastery, and what is this degree?

2 11.11%
  • A martial arts legend

1 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do *you* define "Grandmaster?"

i guess maybe a technical basis for this would be a someone who not only knows the entire system, but has mastered the entire system -- to me, that's a technical gm. a normal master would be someone who has the majority of the system and has mastered what he or she knows. in wing chun, a master could be someone who has mastered all the empty hand stuff and perhaps the dummy and is working on the weapons. he or she doesn't know everything about the system, but knows a lot and knows it extremely well. a grandmaster could be someone who knows the whole style and whose learning has passed the practical side and exlores the more natural side of the art, or arts in general.

on the flip side, a master could just be a master when his master says he or she is. one should never argue with his or her master -- they'll beat you for it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

on the flip side, a master could just be a master when his master says he or she is
    You could look at it like that, or you could be called master by those who recognize it in you, or by virtue of deeds and skill.

Self actualization is personal mastery. It is something you are led to or work towards. It is not something that can be given like a book or an object.

Master does not mean "best" either. It means mastery of a given and specific set of studies.

anyway, just sayin

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I like Dark Knight's answer, actually. But we are talking personal definitions? I assume that's what you meant by "How do YOU define..."?

Oh, there are no living 10th degree masters, boys and girls. Ain't possible. I'm not even sure Lu Dong Bin could be considered 10th degree!

But I voted for Recognized by the Chinese Govt., seeing as how Sifu Totten holds a 9th Dan certificate from Beijing (sp?), celebrating that achievement. Oddly enough, Sifu T doesn't allow us to call him "Doctor" or "Sigung" or "Grandmaster", just Sifu.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

Another point for me is that the titles of sifu/master or sigung/grandmaster are not ones that you use to introduce yourself. They are titles that other people use to describe/honour you.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.