View Poll Results: What is a "Grandmaster?"

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • A master whose student(s) has become a master

8 44.44%
  • The holder(s) of a certain lineage/system

6 33.33%
  • A Grandmaster as recognized by Chinese govt.

1 5.56%
  • The head of a martial arts organization

0 0%
  • One who has reached x degree of mastery, and what is this degree?

2 11.11%
  • A martial arts legend

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do *you* define "Grandmaster?"

How do *you* define "Grandmaster?"

In as commercial a society as today's, titles such as "master" and "grandmaster" and "super-honorable-master-of-the-ways-of-kicking-your-a$$-while-being-humble-at-the-same-time" are thrown around like confetti. But what do you really think a "Grandmaster" is/should be? I've been given several answers and some of these are above.

If you have another idea, please share.

It's a western ideal, usually used by people with an ego that greatly outweighs their ability.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

In the most literal sense - someone whose student has become a master. Which leads to the equally sticky question "How do you define a master?"
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

A teacher who's student has become a teacher is no better than he/she was before the student became a teacher. But they were not Grandmasters prior, so they should not become one for this reason alone.

However, CMA has a long tradition of only passing the secrits of any given style to the elite of the teacher's pupils. A Grandmaster might have 40 Sifus but only pass on the full style to one or two. Those that hold the full style, and therefore become part of the liniage, are the only ones with enough distinction to be placed higher than his/her peers.

Originally posted by Becca
    A teacher who's student has become a teacher is no better than he/she was before the student became a teacher. But they were not Grandmasters prior, so they should not become one for this reason alone.

However, CMA has a long tradition of only passing the secrits of any given style to the elite of the teacher's pupils. A Grandmaster might have 40 Sifus but only pass on the full style to one or two. Those that hold the full style, and therefore become part of the liniage, are the only ones with enough distinction to be placed higher than his/her peers.
    I guess that is what I was getting at with the question "How do you define a Master?"
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    A student could actually be better than their sifu.

Maybe that's it: If you can teach people to be better than you are at something you know than maybe, just maybe, you really do know what the hell you are talking about.

???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Has to be at least 100 years old, with a long beard and knows everything, and when you ask a question they give answers in riddles, or proverbs
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Grandmaster is a relatively new term in Kungfu circles.

It has been used to replace "Sigung".

It doesn't really have the same meaning though.

I am one who is not in favour of using the term because it is misrepresentative on a few levels.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mixed feelings, really. Grandmaster Canete uses the term. And I respect him a great deal. But my respect has sod all to do with the term and everything to do with the man. So while I think the term is completely inconsequential, I'm not going to assert that he shouldn't use it.

Better to just ignore the title and look at the individual. After all, if you went to a new doctor's office for the first time and he turned out to be a cross-eyed drunk, you wouldn't shrug that off because he had the title 'doctor', right? You'd presumably find another one.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

for me, i sometimes say grandmaster, but i generally mean Tai Sigung... that is my teachers, teachers, teacher. Yip Chun for ME for example, which does not mean for neccessarily anyone else outside my lineage.

Usually i use Sifu, Sigung or Tai Sigung, but the last two only for MY teachers teacher etc. For anyone elses treacher i would use Sifu.

make sense?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Originally posted by Surferdude
    Has to be at least 100 years old, with a long beard and knows everything, and when you ask a question they give answers in riddles, or proverbs
    you forgot they can hear how many people there are in the room by their breathing.

No they can smell 'em!!!
    Or just sense them
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

: If you can teach people to be better than you are at something you know than maybe, just maybe, you really do know what the hell you are talking about.
    hel| yeah...

I like the whole individual thing, not the title... although I'll give some respect towards all grand masters... 'cause even though they deserve it, some of there people are decieving others a whole nother generation away.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Today everyone wants to be a "Grand Master". There are a couple "Sokeship Council"'s out there that will sell you the title.

Go to Phil Porters site and he will sell you the rank and title.

Don't be imnpressed by people with the title, most of it is ego, I have met 35 year old Grand Masters. Even one 19 year old 10th Degree.

Buyer beware.

none of the above

I like Serpents defn the best.

Joedoe is close but misses an important aspect.

As Kung Lek says, in TCMA terms, Grandmaster is the english translation for Si-Gung. Si-Gung only means MY teacher's teacher. So calling someone Si-Gung Wong is like calling him Grand-Daddy Wong. You would only call people in YOUR direct line that title. Tai-Si_Gung, BTW, is MY teacher's, teacher's teacher.

Now people have co-opted the term in english. They have taken it to mean an Uber-master. It can also get complicated because while Sifu can means teacher, it can be used as master when refering to people outside of your line. In english, a parallel would be father vs. Mr. for the two Sifus. Joe Smith wouldn't call his dad, father Smith or his father's friend Father Green.

This gets us back to Serpents definition.