Thread: Skipping

Question Skipping

Skipping/jumping rope...

as a pretty reasonable martial artist with several years of experience I was more than a bit ****ed off when I completely failed to be able to make it over a little piece of rope more than twice the other day...

Anyone any tips on how the hell you actually jump rope...?!

And if it's worth investing the time learning and doing it as part of a martial/cardio programme...?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

a must learn… just keep looking stupid doing it until u get the hang of it… it took me almost 2 months to get OK a it…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

essential work, makes your footwork smoother and increases your mobility. I did look pretty stupid at first. Try to make it up to 3 x3 minute rounds w/1min rest. Use a kitchen timer. If you keep missing, you may put both handles in one hand and just make circles while you continue to jump. I couldn't even do 1 3 minute round at first. Now I skip for up to 20 mins with a 1/2 pound in each handle. Good cardio, too. Try to relax, don't scrunch your neck, make little circles with your wrists so that you can train your huen sao, don't jump high, the rope should just pass under your feet. Practice smoothness, don't come down on your heels. The easiest variation is to jump from one foot to the other, but when you land, the toe of the foot you just jumped off of also lightly hits the ground to help absorb the force. A visual would help here. Other variations are jumping off of two feet, jumping off of two feet while sliding forward and back, these are the most important but there are others. Try the alternating foot thing first.

fa_jing is correct.
    For a great site on jumping rope check this website.

KG

Skippings a great thing o be able to do, i found it really helps with general 'quickness on my feet'

do you guys use a leather, plastic/rubber or nylon rope?
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

I have a leather one that I usually take with me when traveling. At home I usually use either a weighted rope (weights in the handles and a heavy cord as rope) or a lifeline rope.

Matt,

1) Legend for having Bruce Campbell as your avatar. Hail to the king.

2) Skippity wippity can be achieved using this acient chinese secret: practise. (not with a chainsaw tied to your hand though!)

those people who posted before me are mega fit. I skip for 2 minds straight at full speed and die of cardiac arrest.

Skipping best training. You can do it for both aerobic, and anaerobic training (as in duration and burst respectively). Also great for learning to keep on your toes, change speeds and patterns without a though etc etc

Plus, when you get attacked by a wild kangaroo, you can out skip him.