Thread: will the basic Chewdan/Single Tiger Emerges from Cave block work vs. quick jabs?

jeoffrey04 Guest

will the basic Chewdan/Single Tiger Emerges from Cave block work vs. quick jabs?

ok im studying Karate right now, but i've looked into Kung Fu and Tai Chi and they have similar blocks vs. certain attacks

recently at lunch this big dude, about twice as tall as me, and twice as strong started messing with me at lunch...it wasnt too serious and it seemed like he wasnt punching with his knuckles so i just ignored him

however, i noticed that his punches were often unpatterned and quick...unlike a lunge punch i couldnt read when it was coming or when his other arm was coming in...
    my question is, how the heck am i supposed to defend against something like this in a street fight?

if i dunno when stuff is coming at me, how do i block it...do i just constantly keep moving? please help...also if you have similar experiences, please do tell about them and what you did

thanks for your time

-jeoffrey

jeoffrey04 Guest

will the basic Chewdan/Single Tiger Emerges from Cave block work vs. quick jabs?

oops forgot to mention another question:
    what excercises (if any) can i do to increase my speed in blocks and evading an attack? also is there anything i can do that will help me see attacks coming better?

my brother and i play this game (like dodgeball) but with many balls...well socks actually...in this big room with lots of obstacles..we basicall throw socks at each other..also to steal socks we spar

sounds stupid i know...just thought i'd mention it
    heh

rogue Guest
    Don't stand there and try to block. Learn to move off line. I like to use a two handed parry while moving off and in at a 45 degree angle. The two handed parry automatically turns my body while keeping both hands up. Then nail him from the side.

I used to be daga

Rolling Elbow Guest

I knew this would come up..

This is the problem with Karate and other styles..they teach from the perspective that you will face an opponent who will just lunge in with his punches. Think again..if your instructors are not teaching you your art from both the perspective of the lunge attack and the jabs and cross non committed attack, look for a new instructor because your simply is not teaching you realistic skills!

Learn to move on 45's as was said, parry with the hands,or similarly just get one hand up for example (aikido style) and deflect or jam punches..most effective are limb destruction techniques that can be found in phillipino systems and some kung fu systems..Again though, proper distancing and body shifting is essentials because you CANNOT block or parry all day long! I would also suggest getting out of the karate mentality of sticking in a low stance and trying to block when this guy is throwing fists at you. In short, learn to destroy the hands and arms..look up gunting or "defanging the sanke", there is probably an old post that was started on this a while back. Just remember, this is the west, we either grapple or fight throwing jabs and crosses, not overcommitted attacks. Those only happen when somebody is wasted

Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

JerryLove Guest

Hmmmm.

<< about twice as tall as me, and twice as strong >>

If your growth is really stunted and your 4', that still puts him near the top of the human scale at 8'. You're lucky he was only twice as strong as you.

<< it seemed like he wasnt punching with his knuckles so i just ignored him >>

Letmegetthisstraight. He's punching you, but you don't think it's with his knuckles, so you go on eating while getting hit?

<< however, i noticed that his punches were often unpatterned and quick...unlike a lunge punch >>

Stuntmen and Uke are the only people you'll ever see throw a lunge punch.

Considering his reach/strength advantage, you'd never have been able to reach anything but his arms anyway.

<< how the heck am i supposed to defend against something like this in a street fight? >>

Three basic approaches, a guard that covers exposed areas, mobility (keep moving), aggressiveness (ignore them and press your attack).

Leopard Guest

Quick Tip on how to defend against a big guys punches

As soon as he throws a punch move and strike back immediately, dont stay there blocking punches he throws one you evade or block which ever happens then you strike. If you let your opponent throw combinations while you sit there and think about what to do next your going to get popped! (dont matter how good you can block)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Leopard Guest

One more tip for the rookie

You probably cant see his punches because you dont have your eyes open and your mind is nervously out of control. I think you are squinting and looking away. Practice control of your mind and get some experience go to your karate/kung fu class and spar. As you spar learn to focus,relax, and look at your opponent at all times. The most important lesson in fighting is learning to not fight yourself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]