Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hip hop renaissance?

hip hop renaissance?

with joints like eminem's "mosh", jada's "why?" tallib kwelli and dialated peoples gaining more exposure, do you think maybe hip hop is going to be taking a turn for the better? I almost wanna put fabolous' "breathe" up there - it's one of the better tracks I've heard from him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs up

I dig "Breathe"
    I appreciate what eminem is coming with in "mosh" but I think he fell off. I guess being rich and successful can do that to an angry discontented rapper.
    I hope there's a hip hop renaissance, I hope also that we can be a crital part of it

I was really surprised when I heard Breathe. It's very different from what he usually does. I think most 'big' rappers wants to sound more 'street' now. Jadas 'why' is a step in the right direction but he doesn't really say anything innit. It just feels he wanted to sound like this political rapper with an agenda when his track doesn't really go all the way. So hopefully he'll make more of the same but with a real message.
    I hope for a hip hop renaissance too. But then again, we've never been stopped from listenin to great artists just coz there's alot of bullsh1t on the radios. So in that sense a hip hop ren might be bad. Coz then mtv and radio will spin the good artists video/song 24-7, and making everyone sick of it.
    So Idunno. But it's good if people like Eminem who seems to release **** after **** starts focusing on more of Mosh type of music.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Jada has a new song/video with maria carey , it starts off with a clip from another song which is on the same lines as why, but then the new track is more r&b and all about loving his girl...
    at least it's not about ice and how better his car is than mine.

Color me a "hater"...
    Call me an "*******"

But the only Hip Hop that was mentioned in the title was Talib Kweli and DP. Everything else is just Rap dressed up as Hip Hop...Like Holloween.

I'd like to take the time to explain the evils of Rappers professin' about Hip Hop...something they nothing of. I saw a shirt the other day entitled, "The Five Elements of Hip Hop:
    1. Money
    2. Blunts
    3. Women
    4. Guns
    5. 40's"

This is an outrage and mistaking Gangsta Rap for Hip Hop. Which although they come from the same roots, they have about as much in common as Trip Hop and Gabber. Anyone truely infactuated or at least giving two drops of monkey **** about Hip Hop would find this to be a slap in the face. A complete distortion of the real 5 elements of Hip Hop ( The 5 Element being the Soul). When you adopt rap as you medium for getting 'messages' accross you inherently adopt aspects of Pop or at least gain a sort of Pop appeal. This is where rappers can do irreperable damage to Hip Hop. You know as well as I do that Pop Culture knows absolutely nothing except for what an VJ on MTV tells them. When these Gangasta Rappers or Vain Wanna be Thugs come on here claimin' what they do represents Hip Hop, all it does is distort peoples views to what true Hip Hop is. Void of vanity, the absence of greed, and devotion to gettting your message across. Hip Hop sort of has a code of Bushido...When you step across that line, you lose clout.

So I ask you, please get your definition Hip Hop right. Jada(kis?) is not Hip Hop. Fabolous is not Hip Hop. They are Hip Pop/Gangsta Rap.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I dunno if it's so Black and White
    Take for example Ice Cube's work specifically the earlier stuff,
    Amerikkkas Most, Death Certificate, Predator
    that was gangster rap, and that was Definately Definately hip hop. I think Pac's stuff was hip hop too especialy the stuff prior to death row.

I'm currently listening to Gang Starrs "moment of truth album"

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    I dunno if it's so Black and White
    Take for example Ice Cube's work specifically the earlier stuff,
    Amerikkkas Most, Death Certificate, Predator
    that was gangster rap, and that was Definately Definately hip hop. I think Pac's stuff was hip hop too especialy the stuff prior to death row.
    agreed.

As for jada, I mentioned him for a reason. I've heard rumors the he is leaving his gangsta rap beginnings. Maybe "why?" was the start of this.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Jamaican misinterpretations of hip hop

Even with all the recent exposure, with the spotlight focusing on hip-hop as a culture. There seems to still be a general misconception especially out here as to what hip hop is.
    The misconception being: Anything that has a commercial beat that can appeal to a wide audience is hip-hop. Case in point some people in my gym were saying there’s no more rap music on TV, TV doesn’t play rap it’s just hip hop,( Most of us wish this were the case), they believe that Mase and that type of music is hip hop. I tried explaining to them,
    But the mindset of many here as I might have said before is very insular.

How about emcees over there? Some guy I talked to said that when he'd been over there he got the feeling they 'looked down' on people on the island who didn't rap with the jamaican accent. So, is hip hop in the shadow of dancehall over there?

(A little OT I know)
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

yeah definately,
    there's definately a bias
    the m.c.s here call themselves deejays and they don't rap they deejay... there are a handful of rappers here though, and some deejays started out rapping but decided that dancehall was more lucrative...good for them.
    hip hop has always been in the shadow of dancehall, we have this complex that rap originated from dancehall.

Rap, generic
    Gangsta Rap
    Pop Hop
    R&Bish crap
    Glam Hop
    etc.

These are all different parts of hip hop. I agree with y'all in the most part. I'm a hip hop snob in some ways myself. Mos Def, Heiro, Aesop, etc, etc... thats what MCin is to me.. but Fabulous can flow, I don't always like what he flows about, but ****. Some of this other stuff, like Chingy and Nelly, that is Pop Hop to me. Glam is like Mase and that (which I like in the right mood). But in an essence, it is all a faction of hip hop, like it or not. Now, Hip Hop has its other elements too, its like seeing all that crappy tagging everywhere. Someone who seems to have barely and hand eye writin' crump all over the dam place and sayin' they tag, then you see these other dudes, who's shiz is like picasso to the scene, and then shake your head.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

CSN, ya know... I've n'ver thanked you for the intro to Ugly Duckling...

Funny shix

I'll have to find it here.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

You should really thank Meat Shake - he's the one that convinced me to give them a second chance. (I thought their debut ep was just 'k.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

np, good post.
    and like the real writers might do great pieces but they all have their ugly tags too. And that's probably what they started doing too. So saying that the tags suck might be naive when it's so intergrated in the whole culture. Kinda like 'hip hop' is today. Things change. And today there's alot of stuff like you listed. Hip Pop and Gangsta Rap isn't the same thing but that's what most ppl seem to think is hip hop. Like it or not, that's just how the genre is today.

The more I think about it I don't want any renaissance. There's no stopping us from listening to true talents just coz the radios spin all the ****