Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Sword Collecting

Question Question: Sword Collecting

I am having trouble filling my collection. I started collecting swords after a college course on medieval weaponry (had to fill a elective) bout 5 years ago. The class focused on the tech of weaponry used in different societies... so I was fascinated with each major society’s theory of swordsmanship. Currently I have 2 Japanese based swords, 2 Thai based, 2 Chinese based, and 2 Scottish based. I want to expand my collection, so I am turning to KFO for ideas... what do you think, any ideas on some different cultures of anyone’s interest?

Thanks

Kali uses lots of bladed weapons. You might try doing a search.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

You could also try some of the Spanish type Raipiers. And the French had some good Sabers from the mid1400s - 1800s. Or you could try some movie replicas. My dad just bought a replica of the Lord of the Rings sword. It's beutifull- as big as his Scottish Claymore with a combat cutting edge. An uncle of mine also has a replica of Excaliber, though the jewels on it are not real.

What's the minimum length you figure defines a sword? I used to have a real nice site bookmarked that sold kukris of different styles and sizes. Let me see if I can find it...

edit - here it is, himalayan imports

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/
    They also have some other south asian blades, a Tibetan double edger called a Kre Ti and a single edger (provenance unspecified) called a Tarwar. I have it on good authority from a choppy-stuff nut friend of mine that their goods are top-choice.

double edit - from their store:

Sirupati - 30 inch
    The Sirupati, traditional khukuri of the Rai and Limbu people of Eastern Nepal, is quick and agile which makes it a favorite of martial artists. Excellently balanced. Light but still strong enough to do a heavy day's work. Scrollwork and brass inlay along back of blade add to the beauty of this already magnificent blade. This knife is going to come in at 1/2 + inch thick and will weigh around 3.5 pounds. Don't get it unless you are physically fit and strong.

Looks pretty sweet to me!
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 07-06-2003 at 06:51 AM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I have an excellent site for you to look into:

http://swordforum.com/

Looks like you have to joinup though to reap the benefits, good luck.
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 07-06-2003 at 06:47 AM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Go to

http://www.claudiospage.com/

click on Historical Arms and Armour

then click on Arms, Armour, My Swords, My Armour

i almost have orgazmz lookin this shyte
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

The vast Martial Arts wasteland of central US
    SwordForum is one of the best sights for weapons enthusiasts I've even visitied. It is well worth the registration.

There's an excellent book named, "Dictionary of The Construction, Use and Decoratin of Arms and Armor in All Cultures in All Times" published first in 1934. It is avaialabe at most good book stores and while much of the information has become out dated, it is still a fascinating and valueable reference with many pictures.

Somebody once wrote on sword forum that weapons collecting is an obssesion filled with desire for things that can't be afforded.

Thumbs up

All very good sites

THANKS

Gotta plug the sponsors, boys...

Got lots of weapons here at www.MartialArtsMart.com (You didn't specify modern or antique.)

I can't beleive you took a college course on medieval weaponry. What college? What department? Man, I would have been all over that if it was offered when I was in college....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

HEH, good old local community college.. only way to fill all the basics ane electives at a fraction of the price.

Hi GGL,

Do you collect ornamental swords, or functional swords?

P.S.-- Check out swords-n-stuff.com

Not to PURCHASE weapons, but to get an idea of some of the cool weapons out there. When it comes time to buy, I'll assume you have your own place that you go to.

Re: uhhh Gene

Some of the swords offered at MAM are quality swords and not the "sword like objects" that you described. Specifically the Hanwei forge swords are good quality swords that you don't have to drop a grand or two to purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

judge pen

i will take a look at it. i mean we dont fight with swords anymore so this is a collectors thing.. and to my knowledge collectors do not settle for hum drum stuff. angel swords are works of art and are the real thing, not mass produced. its well worth the grand or however much some of those pieces are.

when you work with a sword, especially the drop cast ones and the ones you speak of that are of better quality but still not balanced right, you tend to be a bit more lackadazicle when you weild it. i mean a real blade that is sharp and well balanced you tend to respect more its power.
    i mean i have a kris cutlery blade and it is okay for what it is. but i have weilded a true blade and it is a different animal all together. if i had the disposable income to get one i would.

MRTWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Re: judge pen

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    i will take a look at it. i mean we dont fight with swords anymore so this is a collectors thing.. and to my knowledge collectors do not settle for hum drum stuff. angel swords are works of art and are the real thing, not mass produced. its well worth the grand or however much some of those pieces are.

when you work with a sword, especially the drop cast ones and the ones you speak of that are of better quality but still not balanced right, you tend to be a bit more lackadazicle when you weild it. i mean a real blade that is sharp and well balanced you tend to respect more its power.
    i mean i have a kris cutlery blade and it is okay for what it is. but i have weilded a true blade and it is a different animal all together. if i had the disposable income to get one i would.

MRTWS
    Most of the angel swords on the site were stunning and, as you say, a work of art. My question is that many o them seemed to be too heavy to be functional. A good blade is strong and well made, but not necessarily heavy. When people's lives depended on swords in battle, they wanted them to be light enough to weild effectively without becoming worn down too easily. But, then again, we are talking about collectors now so it's a moot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.