Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Sword Collecting

judge pen

angel sword goes to the renaissance festivals to sell thier works.
    the texas ren fests happen every october and half of september.

and battle swords were heavy,,they had to be in order to pierce armour. i picked up a claymore of theirs and was like "holy shiite"
    but when they took it up to a piece of inch thick metal and slashed right through it without even a scratch on the blade. i was sold,,,,in impression anyway.

Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

TWS

The stuff from Hanwei forge is solid. So is the stuff from Dragon Well forge and Shaolin. And none of our pieces are cast in pot metal - actually I take that back, the retractable and samurai guards might be, but the blades are all real steel. If you're referring to something like a wushu sword the guards are made of light steel, not pot metal, and are chromed. The Chinese haven't really discovered pot metal for their swords yet, not even the wushu ones. Next time, konw your sword terms before you start throwing around terms like pot metal.

FWIW, you all might check out my former company too - The Armoury of American Fencers. The swords aren't pretty unless you ask us to polish them up, and they're built to last. Ask for the Maestro and tell him Gene sent you.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ask for the Maestro and tell him Gene sent you.
    Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.....

What do you guys think of the Paul Chen swords?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner

Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.....

What do you guys think of the Paul Chen swords?
    that's the Hanwei Forge swords. I have the practical tai chi sword that MAM carries and it has an excellent balance and weight. It's still flexible, but stiff enough to actually penetrate somthing if stabbed. It's not chromed or plated, so it requires regular maintenance, but its a bargain for the price.

Gene, can I have a 'got qi' shirt now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Gene

Actually i DO know my sword terms. Temple forge weapons have good "cut" steel. (as in the metal is cut and then a grinder is put to it to shape it, then polished) but you see the tang does not go all the way to the pommel. rather a long metal bolt is tig welded to the metal blade(a MAJOR weakness). i have clashed a temple forge blade and it broke off at the hilt(where the bolt was tig welded on)

i havent been able to look at the hanweiforge,,for some reason the MAM site is not loading up.

the Kris cutlery feng blade that i have is Full tang but still the metal is "soft" with only minimal tempering to it. Kris used to take spring shocks from old Jeeps and hammer them that way,,but now with mass production they have gone to the grinder and cutting metal pieces. just like temple forge does.

the art of actually hand forging a sword is almost gone,,there are some traditional forges in japan and a few here in the USA(www.angelsword.com) but to a "Collector" these are what they go for and thats what i assumed GGL is doing.
    sorry if i offended you with my pot metal comment but i know what i know, Gene, and mass produced weaponry uses recycled metal compressed in big sheets 1/4 inch to 2inch thick. its hardness is from 440(display quality and useless for practice and clashing) and occasionally you will find some hardness levels at 320c which is good(sort of).

Many Respects,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Having handled most of the brnads listed here...I can say that the Angel sowrds are definitely pricey...but if I were going to spend the money on a sword, that is the one I would buy.

They are perfectly balanced, I have shaved a business card with one, they are stong and durable...and just plain beautiful.

But, it is not like my wife would let me spend $1000 - $2000 or so on a sword... In fact, I USED THAT LOGIC to finally talk her into my motorcycle...you just have to make some hard choices at times....

Thumbs up GLW

LOL

BTW take a look at this Animal.
    http://www.angelsword.com/Bright%20K...s/bk-jian.html

MRTWS
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 07-09-2003 at 08:28 AM.

That's the one...Although the one I played with had a 34 inch blade...just right for me...

He also had a Taiji Dao...beautiful.

I have three friends that have bought the Jian. One passed away and it was one of his possessions that was stipulated to go to a family member as an inheritance.

You sure don't see that kind of passing on of swords on any others.