Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious discussion thread

Hey, everybody! It's WIM DELVOYE!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

And nobody is belittling themeecer's religious beliefs. We are belittling his scientific beliefs.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

So how bout them crusades??
    They still goin on??
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

because only christians ever did that....I sense another idiotic religious discussion coming on.

Isn;t there a religon where you have to chop your testicles off and put um in a jar??? Serious. I saw somthin on it. on the internet
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

Originally posted by Surferdude
    Isn;t there a religon where you have to chop your testicles off and put um in a jar??? Serious. I saw somthin on it. on the internet
    Is it some kind of militant lesbian religion?
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

All right. I was trying not to get sucked in to this, but anyway. . .

I'm not going to weigh in on the whole evolution vs. creationism argument because it's ultimately meaningless. Both sides, however, rely upon faith to support their beliefs. Faith in the Bible of faith in scientific methods to explain something that can't be proven. No one really knows what happened when the world was created. We can only provide our best "educated" guesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

No one really knows what happened when the world was created
    You betray yourself their, JP. Created implies a creator.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by quiet man

Is it some kind of militant lesbian religion?
    I think it might be... Somewhere in Indonesia or latvia or somethin like that
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

10. Thumbs up

"I'm not going to weigh in on the whole evolution vs. creationism argument because it's ultimately meaningless. Both sides, however, rely upon faith to support their beliefs. Faith in the Bible of faith in scientific methods to explain something that can't be proven. No one really knows what happened when the world was created. We can only provide our best "educated" guesses."

I´m suspecting this thread may get big and I try to keep this as my first/last post but I´d just like to correct this one a bit.
    You say both sides rely on faith,I do not know how broad a consideration this is but that´s not entirely so.
    There are 500 creation stories,then there is scientific method and assuming we´re talking evolutionary biology here (not all there is to it) the theory and fact of evolution which has stood the test of time and remains dominant,there´s no controversy over that.When someone comes up with a better theory and becomes world famous (notice that "just a theory" can´t exist.Theories don´t become laws.Theories are proven beyond reasonable doubt by definition) gets a Nobel prize etc. I´ll be there to shake a hand,I doubt that will happen anytime soon at least,considering that we´ve have been building on the foundation of modern biology for so long.
    Anyway,what you say about nobody being there,that´s true while it does not mean it can´t and would not have been worked on.Since biological (not cosmic that astroscientists study) evolution is the case,it has little to say about the "creation" itself,what that ever means to one.To assume it is concerned with that is a common fallacy,if you´re concerned with that,cosmology would be a better pick of interest.Many,many people are still very ignorant of basic science (not actually referring to anyone in particular)

edit:
    "My point is that the appearence of life, and the evolution of different species from a single cell formed in a primordial soup is only a best educated guess "

This is a very complex subject and being worked on,there are some good books around if you´re interested.
    Besides this,the theory is pretty reasonable in the light of current models and experiments.Exact mechanisms are always the hardest thing to track down and "educated guess" refers to a hypothesis to be tested,with a reason for it´s being.
    Last edited by Former castleva; 07-08-2003 at 08:22 AM.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by MasterKiller

You betray yourself their, JP. Created implies a creator.

I do believe it was created, but the manner it was created, a literal 6 days or by divine power to set certain forces in motion that ultimately ended up where we are now is, in my humble estimation, mostly irrelevant.

In the interest of my point being more "objective" let's say "no one was around when the universe came into being." How's that?
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-08-2003 at 08:08 AM.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Former castleva
    [B
    Anyway,what you say about nobody being there,that´s true while it does not mean it can´t and would not have been worked on.Since biological (not cosmic that astroscientists study) evolution is the case,it has little to say about the "creation" itself,what that ever means to one.To assume it is concerned with that is a common fallacy,if you´re concerned with that,cosmology would be a better pick of interest.Many,many people are still very ignorant of basic science (not actually referring to anyone in particular) [/B]
    Sure evolution exists. No doubt about it. Adaptions occur in biological systems that either help or hurt the species. The ones that help advance themselves and live on. That's easy.

My point is that the appearence of life, and the evolution of different species from a single cell formed in a primordial soup is only a best educated guess (Irregardess if one believes that it was divinly inspired or a random biological occurance). All the evidence that science has to support its theories still rely, to some degree, on extrapolation. Whenever one connects two "dots" they have to assume that there is not another point between the two that won't change the plot of the line. That, in essence, is faith.

Evolution of man...
    Anyone kept up with National Geographic lately?
    You know that we were missing 2 skulls in the evolution "series" if you will?
    We are only missing one now, that when placed in order will fully show evolution from ****erectus to ****sapien. h o m o. Stupid censor.
    So... I dunno. This is a thread Ill get into to much trouble in so Im leaving.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    i dont believe in any religion, not a single one, none at all
    years and years... and where is my prize after years of religious belief? nowhere
    all i got is grief from reality

i dont want to change my view of things (wich is what religions do), i want to change my reality itself (wich is what religions dont do)
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Well, you'd be good at saving yourself for marraige Xebs.