Thread: Anyone know the history of Wu Bu Chuan?

Anyone know the history of Wu Bu Chuan?

I saw the Lien Bu thread, and since that was one of my old Shaolin forms, I thought maybe I could ask about Wu Bu Chaun too, my very first Shaolin form.

So, does anyone know when, and who created it?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Yup, that's pretty much it. Mine has two extra postures, but otherwise it's the same set exactly.

For my own personal practice, I changed it up a bit, and added some postures to it that are good for my back as well.

When I first learned it, it was being called the "7" Stances or something like that. I began refering to it as Wu Bu Chuan when I started finding it in a number of manuals I was buying. The one manual even has the extra postures like my set has.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well it is wu bu chuan.. 5 step or 5 stance fist
    lol...
    I think I have some info on it somewhere... I'll find it. Unless someone beats me to the punch.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

We call that 5-stance.

What's the address for the main page of that site? I tried to go back a level, but all I get is this How do you navigate it?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 07-11-2003 at 11:50 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

No idea, I just happend upon that page in particular... maybe it just isn't done.
    practice wu de

We call that 5-stance.

What's the address for the main page of that site? I tried to go back a level, but all I get is this How do you navigate it
    hehe look what I found: http://www.geocities.com/wushugungfu/home
    wierd

I assume the site isn't finished

Anyway, yeah that wubuquan is identical to the one practiced by all us modern wushu peeps.

Funny, it's the first form in the Tagou manuals called "A course in Traditional forms". I know agood number of the sets in those manuals are traditional (I think), like the Shou Hong Chuan, but how many are modern Whu Shu?

Is it possible Wu Bu Chuan is a really old, ancient basic set that's been incorperated into modern Whu Shu? or is it a modern set often used or incorperated into Traditional curriculems in modern times?

It seems to be all over the place, I have it in 4 seperate manuals. Most are like the one in the link, but the Tagou version is more like the one I was actually taught with some minor exceptions. For example, the Kick and punch posture. In the books, on that one, the free hand is chambered by the hips, in mine it is "Draw the Bow", Kind of like doing 8 Peices of Brocade (Ba Duan?), mixed with the "Kick and punch" posture. The end of mine is a different "Cat" stance too. The hands are in a more standard martial guard. The very last motion, where the hand hooks back and stops in the books, is continued till it circles around back to the front on mine, instead of stopping in the back in a hook formation.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Never really thought about it before... when I first learned it it was the 5th out of 11 or 12 mini forms that we used to string together kind of like is done with tan tui.

Thumbs down Speaking of Tagou...

I was utterly disgusted by the inclusion of a form - namely Plough Mantis Form which in Chinese it stated 7 Stars Praying Mantis Fist.

I borrowed my student's copy of this set of 5 volumes manual just to satisify my curiosity. When I flipped to this section. I first thought it was funny. Then I started to realize this complete farce is going to be very costly for the Praying Mantis styles in the future. This would lend the support to the arguement that mantis was originated in Henan Shaolin which might not be true at all. So the material within should not be taken lightly. What I see is a bar stardized version of the Yantai version of Bengbu (crash and fill) form. Not only the names of the moves are FUBAR , beside the fact that the moves are alterned, they even have the gall to include Washi-Geri (a Karate kicking technique term) as move #36. WTF! I am sorry, NO... I am furious, that such misuse of terminology is even allowed. That tells you the sad state of Wushu. If this can be done to Tanglangquan what of other styles? I seriously question the integrity of this series of instructional manuals.

This so call manual is worth ... well, nevermind.

Two Thumbs way down!

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

On the Washi-Geri, your saying that's Japanese for Side kick? Was the Chinese bad?? Or just the English?

The Tai Tzu Chang Chuan was pretty much right on from what I could see. At first I thought it had a few extra moves, but later I aquired a version of the set that had them. One posture was mis drawn, but otherwise it was pretty good.

I'd love to see a form by form, move by move review of those books though. I'd like to know what common lineages each form most closely represents, and how closely each form matches the actual forms taught in Tagou as well. Also, is there a difference betwen the comercially avaliabe manuals with the English in them, and the actual student manuals given to students at Tagou itself (Other than the inclusion of English translations)?

For the Women:

+ = & a

When I did a couple of seminars with Shi Yanzi (Shaolin Temple's UK representative) we started off with Wu Bu Quan. He definitely said that the Wu Bu Quan was a modern form and not a traditional Shaolin form. He explained that it was used to train the basic stances and transitions prior to any "real" training.

Hope this helps.

PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Yeah, that's kind'a what I gathered. Any info on who specifically created it, and when?

For the Women:

+ = & a