Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to deal with someone who has a knife pointed real close to your neck?

phantom Guest

What is the best way to deal with someone who has a knife pointed real close to your neck?

I cannot imagine what would be the best reponse for this situation. What would any of you do?

Three_Eyed_Kronos Guest

Be cool

If someone is holding a knife across your neck, then don't make any quick movements and attempt to get out of it, in most situations the knife is there to scare u, they don't want to use it. Try and talk them out of it or give them what they're threatening for(wallet). I know many will disagree but I don't think u should do anything apart from follow orders

MASTERMAN Guest

KNIFE TO THE NECK?!

Beg for mercy or give the guy what he wants. Seriously if the guy isn't actually touching you with the point or blade you have a chance. Also his body position to you (prox)Use a distraction and kick the closest body to you then run...

JerryLove Guest
    Assuming you've already handed over your wallet?

It all depends on how he has the knife on you. If he is in front of you, back up. But I presume you are asking about the more oft though of "Guy behind you with knife to the front/side of your throat".

If his arm is coming over the same shoulder so his wrist is in front of your larnyx and his knife is on the side of your throat, you can push his elbow to slide his arm across your throat and with the other hand push back on the knife. This effectively puts you in a rear-naked choke and put the knife in his face.

If he hasn't croseed that far and the knife is at the fron of your throat, good news, no major arteries there. Grab the knife hand with both hands and bend forward.

There are more, some easier, some harder. What position are you trying to counter?

Karl Hungus Guest
    Our Sifu tells us that a very important thing to remember is that if you do decide to make some sort of aggressive action or counter to a knife wielder in this situation that absolutely do nothing until they tell you to move. The reason behind this is that if the knife is to your throat their mind is likely set to respond to any sudden unexpected movement such as you grabbing or striking, the response possibly being to use the knife. By them telling you to move, this may be as indirect as get your hands up or as to the point as hand over your wallet you now have some room to maneuver. Once they have said this the wielder has stated that he expects some movement on your part and this would be the time to try something if you decide to. Personally though I would hand over the wallet if this is the scenario, the consequences of making a mistake far outweigh the benefits of saving your wallet and it's contents.
    Aside from that, I'm new to the Forum and just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and offer a warm hello. If anyone is wondering I just began studying Yuchia(Northern Shaolin Style) approximately 4 months ago and it is my first time studying a martial art.

Karl Hungus Guest
    Our Sifu tells us that a very important thing to remember is that if you do decide to make some sort of aggressive action or counter to a knife wielder in this situation that absolutely do nothing until they tell you to move. The reason behind this is that if the knife is to your throat their mind is likely set to respond to any sudden unexpected movement such as you grabbing or striking, the response possibly being to use the knife. By them telling you to move, this may be as indirect as get your hands up or as to the point as hand over your wallet you now have some room to maneuver. Once they have said this the wielder has stated that he expects some movement on your part and this would be the time to try something if you decide to. Personally though I would hand over the wallet if this is the scenario, the consequences of making a mistake far outweigh the benefits of saving your wallet and it's contents.
    Aside from that, I'm new to the Forum and just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and offer a warm hello. If anyone is wondering I just began studying Yuchia(Northern Shaolin Style) approximately 4 months ago and it is my first time studying a martial art. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Black Jack Guest
    If you have to fight the perp make sure you understand that with a knife situation you will get cut at some point so you might as well understand that some of your blood will be shed.

The question is how much blood?

Regards

ATENG Guest

hmmm slit throat or losing 5 bucks that i usually have in my wallet...hmmm...

[nt]

---------------------
    Its all fun and games til someone loses an
    eye. Then its just fun.

phantom Guest
    Jerry, I was originally thinking of him poitning the knife at your neck while standing in front of you. I sure am glad that you thought that I was taliking about him standing behind me, as I would find that to be even more frightening. But, going back to the situation where he is standing in front of you, what if he has you trapped up against a wall, which would prevent you from backing up?

JerryLove Guest
    While there could be specific situations/positions of signifigance, a person in front of you with a knife pointed at your neck is substansially similar to a person in front of you with a knife pointed anywhere else.

I recommend for any knifework you seek out a competent instructor, rather than take text to heart. That said.

Mostly, you want to move inside the knife and control the limb. With the knife pointed at a body part, you will have to reposition either the bodypart, the knife, or both, to close. Don't worry too much about the other limbs until you have the knife (except for where the other limbs can prevent you from getting control of the knife).

A common tactic is to move the knife, pass it, grab the wrist, sweep or puter-kapala, break the knife-arm. But of course, every situation is a little different. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Kymus Guest

Interesting

Interesting topic, it's a position not too many really practice. Well, obviosly the first thing you do is give them your wallet and your nice watch and anything else the happy person says. If someone were that close to me, I would first try to disarm the knife by grabing the joint of the thumand twistsing it, then the knife should come out alot easier. Depending upon the distance of me from the knife I would try to twist their arm into some kind of join lock and take the knife. If I was thinking straight maybe I would try to get some pressure points to take out the arm. From there, hopfully I'd be able to either get him to run away, and if the knife is pretty it may be mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Crosstraining is the key"
    ~Sifu Rick Tucci~

JerryLove Guest
    "the joint of the thumb"? Would you care to explain how you would get control of a joint 3 inches from a moving blade?

8stepsifu Guest

Knife to neck

Pee

8Step Sifu

phantom Guest
    Thanks guys, peace, live long, and prosper.

T Guest
    KYMUS - YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING TOO MANY MOVIES - 3 INCHES FROM THE THUMB? I DON'T THINK SO. THAT'S A GREAT WAY TO SLASH YOUR OWN WRIST. STOP PRACTICING WITH RUBBER KNIVE AND USE THE REAL THING - THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION ON TACTICS THAT WORK IN REAL LIFE