Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is the best way to deal with someone who has a knife pointed real close to your neck?

JerryLove Guest
    Which is not too difficult a prospect of both hands are free (except that my counter under those circumstances doesn't require grabbing the knife and may stab your attacker). Under Obi's "one hand in a wing lock or something similar" I don't see how you plan a one-armed immobilization.

8stepsifu Guest

KF...Yes I do..

Ever hear of eagle claw kung fu? It's incorporated into 8Step. We do lots and lots of srengthaning excersices for finger strength and grip. Hawk hands is a combinations strike and throat rip. Combined with addrenaline, I don't see why not. Besides drowning people have clawed at car interiors and bent metal with their clawing. Thats adrenaline. I know I'm fast enough and if nothing else it would provide me with a distraction to work on a disarm. And don't tell me it's impossible to keep a wrist grab, because thats what our style does best. I could move, grab and strike the throat before you could blink...its waist movement. If someone had a knife to my throat I would kill them or perminantly injure them. No question. Thats a deadly weapon and I've heard that skin holds up like a rotten apple to a sharp knife so I wouldn't take any chances

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

Knifefighter Guest
    Jerry:
    I have found that it is generally pretty impractical for the guy with knife to immobilize one of your arms. The most likely scenarios I have found in practicing this situation are the following: 1-Knife guy wraps non-knife arm around your neck and holds knife into your face. 2-Knife guy shoves you and holds you against a wall while bringing the knife into your neck. 3-Knife guy takes you down to your stomach, puts knee in your back and brings knife into your neck. 4- (worst case scenario- done by BJJ training partner) Knife guy wraps your neck with free hand, pulls you back and wraps hooks around your legs, ends up in back mount with knife in your face.

I have found for the guy to immobilize my arm, I pretty much have to give it to him to start with and, even then, it is hard for him to keep me from escaping. However, I have played around with giving him my arm and letting him get the knife all the way to my throat (I think you would have to be a spaz to let him get to this point in real life). In this case, I don’t go for the blade, but, rather, go for hand/wrist control with my free hand and then work to free the immobilized arm. Then I go for blade control.

8 step:
    Umm…OK.

JerryLove Guest
    I agree that escaping most, if not all, upright grapples is fairly simple. It does take enough time for your opponent to utilize the knife if that is not what you control first. And cutting your throat should be his first instinct when you struggle (unless he is not serious, in which case, he's an idiot to pull a knife).

Many, many variables

Since this thread is so long I probably missed a few things, so you'll have to forgive me.

First I think grabbing the blade is a bad choice. It "could" work, but most people including myself would NOT do that. Especially without first seeing if we could actually pull it off ourselves.

Not to mention other variables. What if you had just eaten something greasy, its raining, or they have an oily knife thus making your hands extra slippery? What if they're one of those nuts that obsessively sharpens their knives 'til they're sharper than a razor? I know from experience that a razor can cut through flesh simply by pressing on it. It doesn't have to slide.

Plus what if its not technically a knife, but instead a razor? Or a Ginsu knife? Or one of those freaky big ass knives with spikes sticking out. :D Or even one with a small blade that's barely 'grabable' and might even break off.

I realize I'm throwing out lots of questions, but I wanted to remind everyone of some of the variables that are possible. You can count on them holding it in their hand, whatever the weapon is, so I'd skip the blade idea and work from the hand in.

One suggestion is to start wearing a turtle neck laced with chainmail. :rolleyes:

If they're standing in front of you with their arm bent and to their side, as someone would start off naturally, you can block their bicep area and keep their arm from moving foward. I haven't tried this with a real knife, but it works wonders on psychos letting loose with rubber knives. It also works well vs. punches. I have found with blocking the bicep (thus stopping the whole arm) sometimes people don't realize how you're blocking their attack, so they keep on trying. I wouldn't expect that with an expert though.

Anyway my main reason for the post was to throw in some variables.

------------
    I'll suffer your orcish wit no longer!

phantom Guest
    Thanks for your insight on this topic, guys. I really apprecite it. Peace.

8step,
    you have the face of a bulldog licking p1ss off a nettle

I'd pretend to have a seizure.

Scott Guest

Hmm

I'd grab his arm, and do a complete back flip over him, then use the arm I had grabbed to throw him over my shoulder into a wall. Then I'd bicycle kick into him, and knock him through the wall.

-Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

DragonzRage Guest

Here's my take on this...

If you are careless and stupid enough to let someone get close behind you and hold a knife to your throat then I highly doubt that you're good enough to pull off some kind of miracle technique to beat him in that disadvantaged position. The only technique I'd suggest is Movement #7: "Hungry dragon surrenders his money pouch"

SokeHargraves Guest

answer:

>>>What is the best way to deal with someone who has a knife pointed real close to your neck?

Bend over and pull your pants down.

-Neal

"As we live a life of ease,
    Everyone of us has all we need.
    Sky of blue, and sea of green,
    In our yellow submarine."
    -the beatles

RFM Guest
    8stepsifu has it, humiliate yourself and it takes the wind out of the assailants sails as far as intimidation is concerned, most likely the assailant will take pity on you after he/she takes your money - but atleast you'll live to earn more money (especially to replace those pants you've just ruined!).

Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Mojo Guest
    Neal
    You must have learned that move in prison !

or should I call you kneel ?