Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to deal with someone who has a knife pointed real close to your neck?

DATING AGENCIES ARE FUN

Jerry, go to a dating agency, I'm sure they cater for guys like you. So does the mental asylum but that's another story.

Who are you self-righteous existentialist people? Let's see what you people have said over the course of the last page :" I've done knife-fighting for a god**** million years, I can **** fire and do a triple back flip while jerking myself off...".

Sure you interject snippets of theory, but I don't
    think that they are of any more use than you confessing that you performed cunnilingus on your sister last night. Face it, you guys don't know Jack and use this facade of "I am the ultimate warrior, I can kick your arse" is just to cover yourself...total and utter nonsense.

JERRY, YOU FRICKIN' MORON, YOU WERE THE ONE WHO SAID HALF A DECADE. What's wrong with just talking straight?

Knifefighter, stop beating about the god**** bush and say something useful besides " Yeah, Jerry you're close, try harder"...that's almost as bad as Obiwan's METHODS ON HOW TO COMMIT NON CONSENSUAL SUICIDE....I'm getting sick of your pretentiousness also..quarter of a century...yeah, so you're an eighty year old with a butter knife...I can see you running down the halls of the nursing home screaming "I KILL YOOOOUUUU MAN! I KILLLLLL YOOOOUUUU!" GO TO THE NURSING HOME AND CHOKE ON THE VENTILATOR.

Tao boxer, get out that meat cleaver and try it on your neck...save us from hearing your rubbish...I'm sure theres a nice place for people like you in hell.

No wonder martial arts are so ****ed up with people like all of you about...I started here because I WANT to think that there were people doing CMA; but it doesn't seem so, it seems that too many wankers who think they know everything about everything take it up to boast their ***** size and ego. You people preach that you should cross train and from what I've seen people saying that they do EPEE and know everything about a method of fighting and another guy who think Rob Roy is the holy scripture of blade work. I'm first to admit I don't know anything about anything but what I try to contribute is brushed off as garbage then FINE...I rather cast pearls before SWINE. I'm sure if you look in the mirror, you'll see who all of you are...a cross between a pitbull and down syndromed version of Rupaul.

One final thing, this thread should be titled :What is the best way to deal with someone who has a ten foot ******** pointed real close to your neck?

My solution is to suck on it....I'm sure most of you already do.
    My solution is to SUCK ON IT!

I'm off to harrass other people now. I will be back, so hopefully then some of you will grow some brains.

JerryLove Guest

I hear this faint buzzing

Knife, I think you are on the money there. Kinda makes one wish for a killfile eh?

Knifefighter Guest
    Tsk...Tsk...Tsk...Methinks Mr. Larball may have more than a few emotional problems.

Despite Mr. Lardball’s rudeness (and apt name I may add), I’m going to give the answer to part of the puzzle. The answer is that, yes, you can hold the blade without getting cut. This is something that is counter-intuitive to most people, even those who have much experience with cutting weapons. You actually don’t need to go into the physics of how a knife cuts to prove the point. All you need to see is that you can hold a sharp blade in a tight grip in your hand without getting cut. This is easily accomplished. Go find the sharpest knife you can find. Hold the knife by the handle in one hand. Then, wrap your other hand gently around the blade, keeping the tip extended outwards from your grip (you don’t want the tip pushing into your hand). Once you are comfortable with this, begin to tighten your grip down onto the blade. What you will find is that, even with a very tight hold on a sharp blade, you don’t get cut. About the only thing that will happen is that you will get an indentation in your hand.

Remember, however, that this is only part of the solution to the problem. The other dilemmas include how to grab the knife without getting cut and, most importantly, keeping the opponent from pulling the knife from your grip once you have it.

JerryLove Guest
    I think it more likely there are some psycosomatic issues going on. If you want to test your theory, put a kitchen knife in your hand and then punch something with force (a heavy bag for example) and see if that cuts your hand. I am unwilling to lacerate my hand to prove this point, but if you firmly believe that such force will not injure you, you might be willing.

I've pushed a knife through too many other things to not believe it. And been cut too many times to try this experiment. You might want to try some light hits before building up to hitting the bag as hard as you normally would, I'd hate for you to severly wound yourself and I really have no idea what kind of wound is likely.

Knifefighter Guest
    Jerry:
    My point isn’t that you can punch something with the knife, but rather that you can grip the knife securely enough to peel it from your opponent’s grasp and/or keep the blade from cutting you. There obviously is some point where enough pressure will cause the edge to break through the skin, but normally you can’t apply that amount of pressure by just holding around the blade. Ultimately, it is hard for a knife blade, when held securely and unmoving in your hand, to break through the skin. Not to mention the fact that in our scenario of disarming the knife, you’re not going to be punching something, but, rather, gripping the blade.

That being said, and being somewhat of a crazy myself, I decided to take it to the next level and try your experiment. I was just hanging around with nothing to do tonight and figured it wouldn’t be my first (or last) trip to the emergency room with a knife wound. I used three knives- a moderately sharp kitchen carving knife; a pretty sharp Spyderco that I use as a utility knife; an extremely sharp Gerber that has never before been used to cut anything. Here is what I found out. The location of the cutting edge inside my grip determined how hard I could punch. If the cutting edge was resting against the calluses below my fingers I could get off some pretty hard punches with all the knives. If the cutting edge was facing into me and resting on my palm at the base of my thumb I could punch hard with all except the Gerber without breaking the skin, but even that just barely broke through and caused a small incision. The most precarious position was with the cutting edge resting against the bend of the inside of my fingers. Punches caused the blades to push into my fingers and I limited my punching power in this position, but I still could get in some solid punches with the kitchen knife and the Spyderco.

This exercise reinforced my belief in the validity of being able to hold a blade without taking much, if any, damage.

[This message was edited by Knifefighter on 12-17-00 at 12:11 AM.]

JerryLove Guest
    Kifefighter, you're a braver man than I.

This I guess leads into the next issue. Can you retain the knife by holding the blade when your opponent has his grip on the handle?

JWTAYLOR Guest
    KF, you need to sharpen your knives.

I just cut my hand squeezing my pocket knife. I gripped it with he edge facing my palm, back of the knife on my fingers. It cut me at the meat above the meat of my thumb and just below my pinky. I didn't have to grip too hard.
    Also, last week, I let a friend borrow my knife to cut cheese (that didn't sound right). The pocket knife I usually carry has a false back edge. He mistook it for the real edge, placing his thumb on the real edge and pressing down on it thinking it was the false edge to cut cheese. He did indeed cut the sh!t out of his thumb. I did, indeed, make fun on him.

Given, I apprenticed at a forge (Kelly forge in Wimberly, TX) for a couple of years, so my knives are friggin razon sharp, much sharper than most "out of the box" edges. But assume your opponent's blade will be as well.

Oh, and by the way, I have yet to figgure out a solution for the knife at your throat, guy at your back problem yet. Now, if he's in front of you, I think you've got allot more options, like stepping back and tucking your chin.

Lard@ss. You are one funny, fu(ked up dude. But funny none the less.

JW

8stepsifu Guest

Perhaps some technical expertise is needed.

First off I sure as hell wouldn't try to sit there and side block the **** thing. I would shift my body and turn my waist as I grabbed his wrist (we do this allot in mantis) and grab his throat using "Hawk Hands" and rip his throat out with primal/ berzerker fury and continue to punch him in the throat, elbow, eye gouge etc, until his nerves stop twitching.

Or As I am ripping his throat out, get some leverage for a joint lock, break a few joints, and continue beating him in the same places as before so in court I can say that I only hit him until I was safe ;)

For you 8 Stepers out there
    1. Inside mantis grab and hawk hands
    2. Lumberjack Carries the Wood and break it convert the movement into the Swaw throw. If he doesn't let go of the knife, wiggle the broken joints and he soon will

8Step Sifu

obiwan Guest

WOW!

Knife fighter:

Dont know whether your a nut or whether just know knives that intimately......

Although you did prove my point, please do post a "Dont try this at home" somewhere lest some less experienced person tries that and......

Anyway, I used math to back me up. You used real life. Both of them say the same message. It is possible.....

:eek:

I applaud you none the less.

Jerry: I assume our discussion on the use of my technqiues being impossible are over.

However, you are right, if the guy really knew how to use a knife, he could get the knife out of your hands and back into you.

But as we said, if a guy really knew how to use a knife, you're dead anyway. And if you're dead anyway, you might as well give it a go.

Here's hoping to all of us, that we never end up in this situation.

Cheers

The Force will be with you...always

Knifefighter Guest
    JWT:
    That really surprises me. I have squeezed razor blades in my hands without getting cut. Are you sure the blade didn’t move and get drawn across your skin?

8 step:
    Rip his throat out? You don’t mean that literally, do you? Please don’t tell me you really think you could rip someone’s throat out.
    r

JerryLove Guest

Obi

I though our discussion was not on weather you would get cut, but weather you could maintain control of the knife by grabbing it's blade.

But I'm happy enough to drop it (see, I didn't even try to put in a last word on the subject :) )

ATENG Guest

gripping knives

sheesh kf, youre crazy heheh. now granted you can grip a knife and not have it cut, but the instant you grab a knife, wouldn't the wielder's instinct be to free it, thus drawing the blade across your palm or fingers? i can see that maybe if the blade remained static that its possible to grip it (though i'm too chicken to try that), but if you move, i would think that the knife wielder would move too. does this blade gripping apply to a moving blade?

abe

---------------------
    Its all fun and games til someone loses an
    eye. Then its just fun.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Well, to be honest, I was a little surprised myself.
    I have repeated the exercise with another couple of blades, without getting cut. I think the difference is in the blade shape. My pocket knife goes from wide to narrow. So, I think in gripping the blade hard I actualy rocked it slightly in my hand. The other two knives I tried this with were longer, without much difference in the width of the blade in my hand, so no rocking.
    Given, any rocking motion must have been pretty small, but the knife is pretty d@mn sharp.

JW

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

origenx Guest
    Ateng - tru, knives only cut primarily when they're pushed or pulled - so yes you can probably grab one still without cutting yourself too much.
    My old TKD/hapjido teacher taught us this. HOWEVER, if your attacker pulls the knife or your hand slips off somehow, it'll get cut open like a tomato... And frankly, I don't have the confidence that this couldn't easily happen if I did grab the blade. Just sounds pretty f*cking risky to me!

I'd like to hear an actual account of someone who actually tried this and if it worked or not..

Knifefighter Guest
    Ateng:
    No, it does not apply to a moving blade. Remember what I stated above? Grabbing the blade is only part of what you have to do. If you just grab the blade, it will get ripped out of your hand and will slice it wide open. The key is keeping the blade from being drawn out of your grip.