Thread: Chinese kung fu puppet movie?

Chinese kung fu puppet movie?

When I saw Versus (another thread below), the theater I was at showed part of another movie before it. It was some wuxia fantasy all done by puppets, kind of like a kungfu Thunderbirds. It was all in mandarin, sounded like one guy doing all the voices. The only characters I can recall are an old man, who appeared to be a wizard or something, a lady, whose voice sounded like a man's, and swordsman. Seeing the puppets fly around was kind of freaky.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

nah man i don't know. but now I want to see it. it sounds cool.

Sure. I believe its name was Bulletproof Monk.

Legend of the Sacred Stone

I've been chasing after this movie for 3 years.

Legend of the Sacred Stone was made in 2000 by Chris Huang, a Taiwanese puppet master who comes from a long family lineage of puppet masters. This art form goes back some 300 years, invented by Liang Bin-lin in the Ming Dynasty for political commentary. In traditinal form, all the voices are done by one person too, Chris' brother Vincent. These two founded PILI a tv station that specilized in traditional puppetry and Taiwanese opera. Apparently it was a big hit in Taiwan among the youth.

Still searching for it. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2302

How's that, Gene? There were six other auctions for the same item when I just now looked. I just linked to the one ending soonest.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

impressive csn

...although my boss is headed to Taiwan again soon, so I'll probably skip ebay and go straight to the source. Thanks!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now that we have a title....

Anyone try Google?

Here's the official site:
    http://www.pilimovie.com.tw/en/index.htm

I didn't know it was that popular.
    "Legend of the Sacred Stone" CD-Rs anyone?

edit: holy crap! I just saw the trailer and realized I need friends in Taiwan.

reminds me of a show that came on PBS many years ago, called 'Long Ago and Far Away', it was a fantasy show, done all with stop-motion puppets.
    Last edited by cho; 07-18-2003 at 12:44 AM.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Thunderbolt Fantasy

Here's a new one someone just passed along.

BTW, I did see Legend of the Sacred Stone eventually. I even owned it on DVD. I can't remember where I found it - some con or something. But I lent it out and it never came back. It was really good, amazingly good actually, considering the medium.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

When I lived in Taiwan, I remember occasionally seeing a Taiwanese-language puppet wuxia-type show on TV. Usually when I sat down to eat in one of the ubiquitous cafeteria-style restaurants that had a TV up on the wall. That was earlier in my time over there. I barely watched TV at all when I lived there. They were kinda neat, IMO. I got the impression they were aimed more at an older audience(?). They seemed to take it fairly seriously.