Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car-crash Kung Fu

Car-crash Kung Fu

Experienced how training comes in usefull all the time last night.

Was coming back from dinner with my new girl last night and some dope infront of me slows down and starts to turn left, I bare right a bit and contiue on my way. OUr of nowhere the guy decides to cut back right but I saw him but knew by his actions he didn't see me. Here's where training comes in:

1) was aware of his actions in relation to mine.

2) cut the wheel to absorb his entry into my space a smuch as possible.

3) left hand on wheel absorbed my body movement in Peach Palm type fashion.

4) right hand absorbed girlfriend's body movement in a similiar, try to collapse me and I'll move a bit and spring back fashion.

5) stayed calm in the face of all this, and actually saw it all in the throw-down slow motion associated with combat.

Immediately I thought of that article someone posted here about knife fighting, and studies about tunnel vission. I was in a tunnel vision state (heard less but focused visually) but the tunnel was broad, I wa spretty aware of everything.

Well, all that's left not if the insurance fight. I'm being pegged at passing on the right (true) because he can't "remember, it happened so fast" about turning left first. The kicker: poor man's $2,000 deductable. Good thing I don't rely on my car to get girls.

But I feel training helped this situation. I always train when stepping off curbs (hang time) and opening doors and what not and feel disapointed in times like when my teacher was able to lift my pocket knife from me without knowing. I felt kind of stupid when he handed it to me with the look of, "What type of martial artist are you that you lose your weapon."

One with lots more to learn....

Peace all
    Ray

It's amazing how quickly and clearly one's mind can make decisions when the situation demands it.

well that's good taht no one was seriously injured.

defensive driving will give you better awareness on the road than any martial arts system will in my opinion.

You should always have a 2 to 5 second gap between you and the car in fron of you. This allows for you to reacty to situations like this with 0 damage incurred.

Being a motorcyclist myself, I am in a hyper-aware state when I'm out riding. You have to be, people have a tendency to become duller witted when driving a car in comfort, listening to the radio, looking around, one hand on the wheel, cell phone, eating while driving etc etc. ON a bike, there's just you, the machine and the road. A much purer experience with the road. Plus you must take full responsibility for yourself on a bike. Even when you have the right of way you lose the battle against the cage driver.

You cannot win on a bike, so your best defense is awareness.
    Everyone is your enemy when you are on a motorcycle.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Poaching this thread

I have the sense that over time, there have been a lot of these coming up in the news feed - cars crashing into martial arts studios. I think I've posted one or two before, but I'm not sure where, and I've ignored many over the last few years. So I'm going to poach this thread to post these, just to see if it's a 'thing'.

Car crashes into martial arts building
    POSTED:APR 20 2016 09:33AM EDT
    UPDATED:APR 20 2016 09:33AM EDT
    ORANGE CO., Fla. -

A car slams into a martial arts building on Edgewater Drive in Orange County early Wednesday morning.

Florida Highway Patrol tells FOX 35 that the car was stolen and the suspect used a screwdriver to start it.

The suspect fled the scene and is still at large.

Thankfully no injuries were reported and there was only minor damage to the building.

Check back for updates to this developing story.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Still poaching this thread

2 people injured, Chicopee martial arts school damaged in car crash

By Jeanette DeForge | jdeforge@repub.com
    on September 16, 2016 at 10:32 AM

CHICOPEE – Two people were injured and a martial arts school was damaged in a Thursday night accident at the intersection of East and Carew streets.

The driver and a passenger of one car were brought to the hospital by ambulance with non-life threatening injuries. One driver was also cited for failing to stop for a red light, said Michael Wilk, public information officer for Chicopee Police.

The accident happened around 9:20 p.m. when the operator of a Chevrolet Trailblazer failed to stop at a red light and collided with a Toyota Corolla. The impact sent both vehicles careening into the Kung Fu Academy building, 551 East St., he said.

"The building did sustain some damage," he said.
    I knew there would be another eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another poach

This time, with chips.

Frito-Lay truck plows into Danielson martial arts studio
    Tuesday
    Posted Nov 22, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Updated Nov 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM

By John Penney
    jpenney@norwichbulletin.com, (860) 857-6965

DANIELSON - A box truck slammed into a Danielson martial arts studio early Tuesday morning causing major structural damage to the building.

At approximately 4:45 a.m. firefighters responded to the Danielson Martial Arts Academy at 30 Wauregan Road after a Frito-Lay truck slammed into the front of a garage attached to the structure, South Killingly Fire Department Capt. Joseph Lee said.

“The driver was able to get out and suffered minor injuries,” he said. “But it looks like there’s heavy damage to the building, which was unoccupied.”

According to a state police report, Jewett City resident Robert Morano was driving the Frito-Lay truck south on Wauregan Road when he crossed into the northbound lane, striking a parked Ford Ranger before hitting the building. Police said Morano was taken to The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich for evaluation.

Donald Laperle, who owns the building and the martial arts business, said he received a call at approximately 5 a.m. from his son, a local volunteer firefighter, about the crash.

"I used to have a welding business here and now use the bays to store a race car and a backhoe," he said. "By the time I got here, the driver had already been taken to the hospital."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This time, with chips.
    Hopefully Myagi had a lesson called "grout the block"

I never thought this thread would keep delivering

There's a news vid behind the link.

Girl Taken to Hospital After Car Crashes Into Suburban Martial Arts Center
    Three children were in the vehicle at the time of the crash and 12 children were inside the building, all between the ages of 5 and 12, officials said
    Published at 2:40 PM CDT on Jun 6, 2018 | Updated at 6:01 PM CDT on Jun 6, 2018

An SUV jumped a curb in front of a martial arts school and didn't stop until it was completely inside. NBC 5's Ash-har Quraishi has the very latest.

A young girl was taken to the hospital after a car plowed into a martial arts center in a northern Chicago suburb, the building’s owner and authorities said.

The crash happened around 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Ki Martial Arts Center in Mundelein.

The 37-year-old driver from Vernon Hills was dropping off one of three kids when the accident happened.

Police said one juvenile, who the owner said was believed to be 8 years old, was taken to Cordial Medical Center. The building’s owner said the child was released from the hospital and taken home following the crash.

Three children were in the vehicle at the time of the crash and 12 children were inside the building, all between the ages of 5 and 12, officials said.

There was no structural damage to the building, according to police.

The building’s owner said all parents were notified and the children were transferred to an adjacent building, with the exception of two who were taken home.

Details on what caused the crash weren’t immediately released. It was not clear if any charges would be filed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yet another. wth?!

Police/Fire
    UPDATED: Vehicle Drives Through Martial Arts Studio
    July 14, 2018 Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni 0 Comments Car Crash

Originally posted at 9:07 a.m. Updated at 6:47 p.m.

FRAMINGHAM – A vehicle drove through a martial arts studio today, July 14, as a result of a two-car crash at the intersection of Dennison Avenue and Concord Street.

Police and emergency workers responded to a 2-vehicle crash at the intersection just before 9 a.m.

Witnesses said a vehicle went through the red light and was struck by another vehicle.

One of the vehicles then smashed into the martial arts studio on Route 126.

There were no injuries.

Framingham Police are investigating.

Photos courtesy

Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni
    Susan Petroni Framingham Source Editor Email: editor@FraminghamSource.com Phone: 508-315-7176
    I guess strip mall martial arts schools are car crash magnets?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Car slides into Taichi Bubble Tea after crash
    February 24, 2019 09:56 AM

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) - A car struck a building in College Town Saturday night following a two-vehicle crash.

Police say a crash occurred just before 9:30 p.m. at the intersection of Mt. Hope Avenue and Celebration Drive, causing one of the vehicles to hit Taichi Bubble Tea on Mt. Hope Avenue.

The restaurant was open, but police say no customers were injured. One of the drivers was taken to URMC for treatment.

There was no structural damage to the building, but the front windows will need to be boarded up.

Police say no citations will be issued.

WHECTV

Updated: February 24, 2019 09:56 AM
    Created: February 23, 2019 10:46 PM
    THREADS
    Car-crash Kung Fu
    Kung Fu Restaurants & Bars
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wow

this thread delivers again. wth?

Car Hits Martial Arts Studio in Vernon
    A car hit a martial arts studio in Vernon Monday evening.
    By Chris Dehnel, Patch Staff
    Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am ET

Car Hits Martial Arts Studio in Vernon
    (Patti Doyle)

VERNON, CT — A car hit a martial arts studio in Vernon on Monday evening.

The crash took place at about 6:30 p.m. at a strip mall on Route 83 near the Merline Road intersection.

The car "bumped" into the front of the building and a window shattered, police said. The driver may have had a medical issue, police said.

A report had not been completed late Monday night.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yet another

I've given up pondering why there are so many of these.

I'm writing it off to...

...wait for it...

Car crashes into martial arts center in Rossville strip mall
    Updated Oct 30, 2019;Posted Oct 30, 2019

By Kyle Lawson | klawson@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The driver of a new BMW SUV crashed into a martial arts center at a strip mall in Rossville on Wednesday, sparking a large emergency response.

Emergency personnel responded at about 11:45 a.m. to Grand Master Kang’s Taekwondo Martial Arts Center at 655 Rossville Ave., in the Woodrow Shopping Plaza.

The female driver, described by a witness to be in her 60s, refused medical attention, according to an FDNY spokesman.

The car sustained front-end damage, after the driver was attempting to park in a handicapped space and lost control of the vehicle.

Master Hyun Kang, an instructor at the school, said he was feet from the front entrance when he heard a “loud bang," and then a “loud screeching sound," as the SUV smashed through a handicapped sign, garbage can, and glass door, also damaging a section of brick on the exterior of the building.

Family of the woman said she usually is a safe driver, but lost control of the gear-shift in the new car.
    ...carma.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2020

SUV crashes into West Hills martial arts studio

An SUV crashed into Dragons Martial Arts Studio at Roscoe Boulevard and Fallbrook Avenue in West Hills on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020. One person was treated at the scene. (Google Street View)
    By CITY NEWS SERVICE | news@socalnews.com |
    PUBLISHED: November 11, 2020 at 2:58 p.m. | UPDATED: November 11, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.

WEST HILLS — A man driving an SUV escaped injury along with nearby bystanders when his vehicle crashed into the front of a martial arts studio Wednesday in West Hills, officials said.

The crash took place about 1:30 p.m. on the 22800 block of Roscoe Boulevard at Fallbrook Avenue, according to spokesman Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

One person was treated at the scene, but there was no word on the person’s condition.

The crash was being investigated by Los Angeles police.
    I'm starting to really wonder about why this thread keeps delivering... Any theories?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm starting to really wonder about why this thread keeps delivering... Any theories?
    I don't know... How about you?

2nd for 2020

Driver crashes into Columbus martial arts academy
    NEWS
    by: Web Team

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 / 09:33 AM EST / Updated: Dec 14, 2020 / 09:34 AM EST

COLUMBUS, Ind. — A Columbus martial arts studio was left damaged after a driver crashed their car into the building.

Columbus police said the 24-year-old driver crashed into Ko’s Martial Arts at 2490 Taylor Road at around 3 a.m. Saturday.

She was not hurt and told officers she was trying to turn onto Taylor when she lost control of her car.

The driver passed field sobriety tests and refused medical attention at the scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by highlypotion View Post
    I don't know... How about you?
    No idea. That's why I'm asking. It's weird, huh?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips