Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TKD Instructor as Expert Witness versus MMA Lawyer

TKD Instructor as Expert Witness versus MMA Lawyer

I thought you all might find ths entertaining.

http://mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListM...12&FID=2&pc=18

...I joined this case late. Don't even ask how it got this far. I swear to God it isn't my fault.

...I am involved in a nasty divorce case. It involves domestic violence. The husband(I represent the wife) is a brown belt in TKD. He is trying to call as an expert in martial arts his instructor. The instructor's testimony would be that if he had hit his wife, he would have killed her with his "deadly training." I got a chance to deposition the "expert" today. One part went something like this:

Q: You said that you are a 5 time world champion correct?

A: Yes.

Q: I've never heard of you. 5 time world champion in what?

A: I am a five time Master's Division Champion in TKD. 2 time advanced forms champion and 3 time advanced weapons forms champion.

Q: So you never fought anybody for those championships?

A: No, however I have trained for over twenty years.

Q: Sounds like you were training for a dance competition. Describe how being a 2 time forms champion makes you an expert in fighting?

A: We fight against imaginary opponents, kind of like boxers shadow box.

Q: So you fight against imaginary opponents that don't hit back and day dream about how bad you could hurt somebody if you really hit them?

(Objection, misstating and manipulating testimony. Has to answer anyway.)

A: No, it is for focus. Don't doubt for a minute the power that I possess.

It was a riot. This **** went on for 2 hours. I am objecting to him as an expert. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL so if the judge allows him, I will use Charles McCarthy as my expert. "Your Honor, the only way to decide who the true expert is is to let them fight. The expert who wins can testify."
    Last edited by truewrestler; 06-13-2005 at 07:47 AM.

That's a riot!!! And the husband is a dumba$$ for arguing that his techniques are too deadly for domestic abuse!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I can see the humor in that!!!

I hate to show my dumba$$ness, but who's Charles McCarthy?

I'm guessing a MMA guy, but I don't follow the fight circuit much.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Charles McCarthy was in this past weekend's UFC. He got nailed with a viscious spinning back kick from David Loiseau.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=37075

http://www.wirelesslanparty.com/mma/...20McCarthy.WMV

I enjoyed this response just as much:

Here's a little bit of serious advice.
    Q. You are claiming that if Mr. Smith hit Mrs. Smith that he would seriously injure Ms. Smith, correct?

Q. Does martial arts training give you the ability to regulate the intensity of your punches?

Q. Can you hit both hard and soft

Q. How hard can you hit?

Q. How soft can you hit?

Q. Can you hit harder than a non-trained person?

Q. Can you hit softer than a non-trained person?

Q. I am not a trained martial artist. Can you hit softer than me?

Q. Let's have a demonstration. You hit me as soft as you can, and then I'll hit you as soft as I can. We'll see whether the trained martial artist can regulate his punches better than the non-trained person.

[Martial arts master hits you very softly, thus demonstrating his awesome control. Then, and here come the good part, you knock him out and stipulate that he is qualified as an expert.]
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'm sorry; I missed something. Was this lawyer Charles McCarthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    I'm sorry; I missed something. Was this lawyer Charles McCarthy?
    No, read the last paragraph again

Boy does that sound like a fun day at work. This guy has no idea what he's in for.

Quote Originally Posted by truewrestler
    No, read the last paragraph again
    Ok, I breeze these forums fairly quickly when at work. Good stuff.

It's funny, but at the same time, there is some serious MMA nut-riding going on there.

Sounds like you were training for a dance competition. Describe how being a 2 time forms champion makes you an expert in fighting?
    I mean, C'mon already.

He never asks the guy if he ever spars. He jumps from forms = dancing to how do forms make you a killer in 1 sentence.

Well, it's kind of his job to make the guy look bad. Plus you can figure out that he doesn't spar since his hands are "too deadly".

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    It's funny, but at the same time, there is some serious MMA nut-riding going on there.

I mean, C'mon already.

He never asks the guy if he ever spars. He jumps from forms = dancing to how do forms make you a killer in 1 sentence.
    he's merely discrediting the guy's argument. He's saying that being a world champ in forms will in no way equate to the guy being as deadly as his teacher claims.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Try re reading the guys answeres, with out the questions. It's pretty funny.

A: I am a five time Master's Division Champion in TKD. 2 time advanced forms champion and 3 time advanced weapons forms champion.

A: We fight against imaginary opponents, kind of like boxers shadow box.

A: No, it is for focus. Don't doubt for a minute the power that I possess.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Tae Kwon Do sucks ...... there, I said it

yeah cause we all know forms are dances

just another mma person who only understands the basics. brute force and strength = everything to them. and unfortunetly in this modern world its what works. oh wait. let me get my gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.