Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water retention, FP

water retention, FP

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Not really. The more water you drink, the less you'll retain. While I agree that it is counter productive to drink a lot of water or any other fluid at a meal, I think that good amounts of water daily will not only aid in health but in appearence as well. Without the excess layer of water retained under the skin, you will have better definition and a harder look. You will also never be dehydrated which is also a good thing as well.

Could you elaborate on this? Are you saying that by drinking more water you will lose weight, ceteris paribus?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

How much is a quart?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

1 quart = 1/4 gallon = 2 pints ~ 1 litre

Becca

I may be wrong but I think i spotted a few flaws with the link you posted.

1/ they say that coffie is a dieretic and will make you lose water. Now this is true if you are new to coffie but if you are a regular coffie drinker then your body will use it like water with no ill effects (hell i know people who litteraly JUST drink coffie and nothing else and they are still going strong).

2/ The article said that when you increase the amount of water you drink you will need to urinate more frequently, this is to flush your system but you will retern to a more normal level (or frequency) of urination after your body has adjusted?

So what happend does your bladder grow to twice its size? Do you sweat more? Water in must = water out (plus a bit more as you are looking to lose storred water to lose weight).

Am i missing somthing here?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I think many people feel the urge to use the bathroom well before their bladder is full. This is supposedly a symptom of chronic dehydration. I drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day and can attest that my experience is consistent with that article.

No. You just nitpicking. I am a regular coffee drinker. I switched to decaf two years ago. I noticed that it became easier to control my warter "leveles" if you will. I don't wake up borderline dehydrated anymore. By the way, one way I can tell when I'm starting to get dehydrated is my hands feel stiff and swolen but I didn't do any hand training the day before. Also, my ankles will feel stiff for no good reason.

Feel free to troll away.
    This seems to be happening alot lately...
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I drink between 5 and 6 quarts of water and decaf coffee or tea per day. I don't urinate anymore frequently than I did before. I don't get urinary tract infetions anymore, though. You need to reread the part that explains that not all of your water-loss is to urination. You also loose water sweating and some is even lost to just breathing, espesially in hot weather and in dry climates. Try the Auquasana hydration test that the autor recomended.
    Last edited by Becca; 07-15-2003 at 06:14 AM.

Becca

The thing about coffie is a fact not just my opinion. I read a paper on it a feww weeks age so gelive me unless u are a non regular coffie drinker then it wont dehidrate u.

And on the second point, unless you sweat or breath a hell of a lot more if you up your water intake levels then that water has to be going somewhere!! or am i wrong there?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I feel that I should at this point in theis thread point out that it can be very dangerouse to drink to much water. One of the most dangerouse aspects of drinking to much water is that the symptoms are similar to heat stroke ..... and if anyone thinks you have had to much sun or exersized in the sun then they are likely to get you to drink more water!!!

Your bodys thirst response is not a good way of judging weather you need water or not and haveing become thirsty your body may well ask for more water than it needs as it can take a long time for the thirst demand to switch off.

Drugs also have a major impact on your ability to balance the level of water in your body, as many people in this country get into trouble over doseing on drinking to much water while on extasy due to as over dose.

Hey Abobo,

You'll retain less water under your skin. You will obviously loose some weight, but not an amazing amount of weight. You may be thinking about how fighters cut "water weight" in order to make a weight class, which isn't the same thing. They have to severely dehydrate themselves to do this.

Yeah, my exercise science and nutrition classes were full of bunk too.

Cutting your hydration levels pre fight is a rewal bad thing to be doing.

One of the first areas to lose water(or fluid) is the protective buffer around the brain.

Liokaukt- I'm not saying your body can't adjust to the caffine; I'm saying it would do a better job with out it in the first place. Your argument is like that of a long-time smoker who also run marithons. He may think he is doing just fine. He may even be right. But that don't chang the fact the the smoking is bad for him or that he would do better if he quit.

As far as water being bad for you in excess; I've heared that, too. I have never found anything to suport this, though. Well, beyond drowning, of course.

The thing that Likault refers to is when people party and take ecstasy. It seriously raises their core temp and then they dance like idiots and sweat heaps and get even hotter so they continually drink. The body's signals get confused and they end up imbibing way too much water and "oversoak" brain tissue and organs.

I can't remember the exact details and can't be bothered looking it up. However, this is artifically induced due to the drug. In regular life, you'd be hard pressed to drink enough water to give you a problem. Ideally you want two or three litres per day.

I usually drink one or two coffees (cos I love the stuff!) and one or two cups of green tea a day. Otherwise I drink water pretty much continuously - usually at least 2 or 3 litres a day. I feel great for it. Sure, I tend to pee a lot, but it's worth it. I train hard too, so I sweat an awful lot. Takes a lot to replace that.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching