Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Mandarin and Chinese Characters?

It's a good thing we have people like you around to follow me around like a fan club.

So got anything specific to say yet? Or are you going to stick with snide backhanded personal insults devoid of any actualy specific content?

edit:

If you must be formal then it should be Mr. Belove. That's my name. Omar Belove. I wouldn't mind except that my "regular" board is emptyflower and we have an actual "Mr. Fish" over there, Kenneth Fish. So each time you call me "Mr. Fish" I keep thinking you are adressing him.

"Mr. Belove" works fine. That's what my students call me. "Omar" is fine too. "Mr. Fish" is confusing.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 05-05-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Hey thanks omar!!

Actually its not for the movie. This Kid I know is just like a little invincible monkey. We called him iron monkey. Wondered how to say in mandarin.

Thanks again.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Already you have interpreted things in your own self-absorbed fashion. There is no need to follow you, when your asshattery is so ubiquitous. Its sort of like stepping in shiyt. You see these kind of things happen when you go "slumming it" instead of sticking to your "usual" boards. Maybe that makes sense to you, or should I dumb it down to a third grade level for you? Bottom line is... your a real pr1ck and that makes you open season.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

A nickname! Cool.

I got some better suggestions then. Go with whatever you like but you probably want to at least add a "xiao" to the front. (shee ow - one syllable) Xiao Tie Hou. It means "little" and it's a typicall convention to call kids "little (insert noun or adjective here)"

Xiao Houzi - Just plain "little monkey" and always makes kids laugh. Chinese kids laugh at being called monkeys as if it was bred into them. . . at least all of "mine" do.

I kind of like "Qi Tian Da Sheng" if you could remember it. (chee tyen da sheng) That was the Monkey King Sun Wu Kong's rather preposterous self appointed title, something like "Great Sage Equalizer of Heavan". Not a good nickname but "Da Sheng" works. It's the same as "Tai Sheng" as in "Tai Sheng Pek Kuar". (the Monkey style of gong fu.)

Lost Track:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=36624
    Last edited by omarthefish; 05-05-2005 at 05:19 PM.

My nickname? So you have sensed a weakness and begun an attack?

Lol. I didn't give that to myself. It was the name chosen for me after my style of teaching was observed. You see, my wife's family doesn't speak any English and don't really care to... so they needed something to call me. Its considered an "strong name" by most who have heard it. I understand that you cannot tell the tone by reading how it is written but the "Xiao" doesn't mean little... And Zhuang would be my surname... Anyways, I never particularly cared for it.

- William G. McAdoo

As far as whatever rules of engagement there are, everything must have consequences... and I will accept whatever I get for whatever I say.... and so must you.

- William G. McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by Losttrak
    My nickname? So you have sensed a weakness and begun an attack?
    Oh the irony....

Quote Originally Posted by Losttrak
    Already you have interpreted things in your own self-absorbed fashion.
    Who's interpreting in a self absorbed fasion now buddy? I was talking to PangQuan. lol. He said that he wanted to know how to say "iron monkey" because there was this really precocious little kid that deserved the moniker.

On your name....if the xiao isn't "little" then which xiao is it? This board supports Chinese. Can you type it? My comment on "xiao", like I said, was directed at PangQuan as a reccomendation for creating nicknames. Calling a kid "Tie Hou" doesn't sound as good as "Xiao Tie Hou". My GF calls me "Xiao Chong" (please .. . it's not what you think. REALLY!)

Looking at the pinyin I would have guessed your name "小山“ which is kind of funny as it's a bit of an oxymoron. But it beats the hell out of "小虫". The name MY loved one's famliy uses for be is the handle I use at Emptyflower, Bailewen (白乐文 ) Not a "strong name" like yours. In fact, it means that my elders will call me "Xiao Bai" which sounds like a name for a pet puppy dog, most famously the one that ALL local Chinese know and love the pet of "La Bi Xiao Xin" (蜡笔小新 ), a popular Japanese cartoon.

Before you call me your buddy, first do a spelling and reality check.

....and I don't give a fook who you're talking to...

I am only here to assault you. See I am very cut-and-dried like that. And if your slamming of this board and its members was taken "out of context", then maybe you should enlighten me with your vast contextual puissance.
    Last edited by Losttrak; 05-05-2005 at 06:12 PM.

- William G. McAdoo

I am only here to assault you.
    At least your honest.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=36624

Yes, I am. So are you going to explain why you would disparage this board and its members, and yet still deign to post your lofty ideals on a board so unworthy of your brilliance? I wait for your reply with bated breath...

- William G. McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    I kind of like "Qi Tian Da Sheng" if you could remember it. (chee tyen da sheng) That was the Monkey King Sun Wu Kong's rather preposterous self appointed title,
    I've only read Journey into the West in translation (since I can only read ANY Chinese thanks to my Sifu and Kung Fu Magazine you can imagine that my repitoire of characters is rather humoursly one dimensional) but they referred to the Monkey King as "Great Sage Equal to Heaven" in the translation I read and it was supposed to be a good one.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Whether it was your philosophy studies or Tai chi, you have learned well! When facing a stronger force, it IS better to succumb. Smarter than I thought.

- William G. McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    I've only read Journey into the West in translation (since I can only read ANY Chinese thanks to my Sifu and Kung Fu Magazine you can imagine that my repitoire of characters is rather humoursly one dimensional) but they referred to the Monkey King as "Great Sage Equal to Heaven" in the translation I read and it was supposed to be a good one.
    I probably read the translation you did. I've only ever seen one translation that was small, manageable and in paperback. Nicknames and pet names I didn't really get in school either. I get that stuff from having a Chinese GF. that and spending half of every workday in a room full of 13 year olds.

lost trak:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ote=1&p=606481

Was your translation called Monkey: or A Journey Into the West and focus primarily on the beginning and end chapters of Journey Into the West while leaving the intermediate chapters in a state where there were complete episodes but not all of the episodes?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.