Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Captain Dr John Painter PhD, ND, etc, etc

Wuz There when Crap Hit The Flap

Greetings Group,

This is Chaz Wodhard here. I just found this thread and Wow some of you guys have been really freaking over this John Painter thing. Glad to see if it calming down some. I have known Mr. Painter for well over ten years now and find him to be a most interesting sincere and polite person and an extremely good teacher of his methods.

Yeah, I am one of his students. At first for some years in his Kung Fu school, then I moved to Colorado and now I am a personal exercise trainer but I still train the Nine Dragon Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan privately with him. I was involved with law enforcement for some time in the Tarrant County Texas area before becoming a personal trainer and I know that Mr. Painter’s stuff is real at least in how it functions on the street, cause before I ever met him as a teacher he saved my worthless ass one night when an arrest went south with a group of pumped up, drunked roided out football dudes tried to whup my ass and I had no backup. At the time I didn’t care if the dude was a Ph.D or Captain or what when the crap hit the flap and I needed help the dude stepped up and lowered the boom. I published this deal as a whole story before on another group if anyone wants to know.

It appears some of you guys don’t know much about him and his involvement in helping Chinese internal arts in the USA in the early years or about his very long and sometimes checkered background is show business and as a bodyguard. Well I got more on Mr. Painter from a front row seat, been in his school, home and office, seen the scrap books and certificates and I know the man as a real person who is passionate about his art, Family, friends and students. I just called him and found out He is preparing to be off to New York this week to teach in Manhattan this weekend so I doubt if he will be back on this forum anytime soon. I an’t gonna spew any dirt or betray any confidences so don’t ask me what he has chosen not to answer. His reasons are his own but I think he wants you to come see for yourself. I can shed some light on his promotion methods possibly as he taught them to be and **** I am making a living once again.

If you wanna know any more or I can help let me know although I think the best idea is to talk to the guy in person. He will probably be in a town near you some time soon. So go visit him and find out for yourself what he is really like. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Chaz Wodhard
    www.chazwodhard@yahoo.com
    Going in circles can take ya straight through life.

This isn't actually a love in but...

I was a rather big Painter detractor. My questions pertained
    to lineage and authenticity. I am now rather convined that he knows what he knows. This guy Frank Li taught him the arts. Maybe at the time he learned them, all the **** (lineage, branch, etc.) was not so important.

Maybe these individuals were just looking to carve out a life here in the US.

The fact remains is that many people are happy and fulfilled studying with Mr. Painter. He charges nominal fees and has done a lot for the arts in general. If you don't like his stuff? Don't study with him. It's that easy.

As far as his gun stuff and ranger stuff? I can't judge. I live in a "Blue" state.
    The guy has been polite and has mantained what he knows about Mr. Li. He's been open in the past to letting people come to his seminars for free to see what he's about.

Again, I'll vouch for what I've seen. A pretty good guy who takes a lot of **** and just does his best to promote his arts.
    It's time to give this **** a rest or at least go meet the man and see what he has to offer. Videos and Magazine articles are a good reference, but not criteria to judge.

I see people praise my Grand Teacher Luo Dexiu's tapes (THEY DO RAWK), to me they are gold and may be the best available, but to see, work with and meet him in person?
    A whole different dimension. Truly.

I don't think anyone was critisizing his Pa Kua. It was his non-martial credentials that are suspiscious, and only since he isn't all that up front about them. It's a shame, really, because it means that people like me who think credentials are important are going to question him about it, instead of recognize him for his talent.
    Bodhi Richards

Re: .

Originally posted by BAI HE

The fact remains is that many people are happy and fulfilled studying with Mr. Painter. He charges nominal fees and has done a lot for the arts in general. If you don't like his stuff? Don't study with him. It's that easy.

Truly.
    Originally posted by BAI HE

I am now rather convined that he knows what he knows. This guy Frank Li taught him the arts. Maybe at the time he learned them, all the **** (lineage, branch, etc.) was not so important.
    Maybe these individuals were just looking to carve out a life here in the US.The fact remains is that many people are happy and fulfilled studying with Mr. Painter. He charges nominal fees and has done a lot for the arts in general. If you don't like his stuff? Don't study with him. It's that easy.
    Hey Bai He,
    That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I was fricking hard to convince about anything but when a dude comes outta the dark like that takes on three guys puts em down and helps me cuff a forth then freaking disappears into the dark again well I gotta know who this dude is. No he does’t prowl the streets, least I don’t think so, looking for guys to whip up on, the incident happened on a side street near his home at about 0100 hrs. He said he was doing his meditation exercise and heard the rukus and came down the alley saw me getting the stuffin beat outta me by four guys and just chipped in to help. It took me two weeks to find him again, he was training at 0001 in a park cross from his house with a huge ass Ba Gua sabre and so I got with him and I ain’t been sorry since.

I don’t care if smoke the bear taught him. I have seen lots of other styles and systems and this one does it for me. To each his own and that I think is his attitude also. One thing that is certain about training in Nine Dragon Bagua Zhang the way Shifu Painter has structured it. It is practical, it is clearly laid out and while it contains countless layers of nuance it is simple to follow. I used it summ in my law enforcement work although I never was part of his American Rangers group because the really got into it national like and I got out of law enforcement before 9-11 but I have used what I learned and am learning in civilian life in dealing with both mental and physical conflicts and it has served me extremely well. The qi gong part of the system is really cool and you get a great feeling from it right away plus I almost never get sick anymore.

One of the things Mr. Painter insists on in the martial art training of Nine Dragon is that in terms of it being a fighting method you gotta be able to test the structure and power of every single posture and movement that is be able to make it generate power from structure and the mind together or it ain’t worth a hill a beans. His art is structured so it leads you through things from one step to the next. For example in the student manual they publish is says that in Nine Dragon Bagua Zhang we first sit then stand then shift then walk and then circle and finally apply the methods. Applications come in stages starting with simple up to complex and there is lots of training of both internal and external energies using the body and also equipment. It is a really well designed method. I think if you meet him and talk to him you will understand a lot more than just typin in the dark. I gotta thank you for sayin it straight and being upfront .

Chaz W.

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    I don't think anyone was critisizing his Pa Kua. It was his non-martial credentials that are suspiscious, and only since he isn't all that up front about them. It's a shame, really, because it means that people like me who think credentials are important are going to question him about it, instead of recognize him for his talent.
    \

Hi Jack,
    You don't have to recognize him for his talent. Your idea seems to be that if someone doen't answer your questions or seems like they are avoiding your questions that this in some way disqualifies a guy from being recognized for his talent, yeah well that is your idea and that is the way it is for you. It ain't exactly the idea of most of those who know him as students or are close to him in person so like the other guys on here have said, We said enough about it and I hope you are not starting it all up again cause you are missing out on some really good stuff from a really good guy who has a bunch to offer this forum.

As I said I have know him for some time and have no problems with his credentials, which by the way I do know about and have checked out and it is all fine with me and I guess I am sorry it is not square with Hoyle with you cause he won't answer you for his own reasons. Meet the guy in person and make a call in your heart after that, But hey let's not go there again.

Chaz W

Originally posted by Chaz W
    \
    Meet the guy in person and make a call in your heart after that, But hey let's not go there again.

Chaz W
    Agreed.
    Bodhi Richards

Where will Mr. Painter demonstrate this weekend? Is it open to the public?

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    Hi Evolution Fist,

My teacher is in New York training one of his study groups in Manhattan area. If you write to thegompa@aol.com I am sure Mr. Leach the office Mgr will send you the info. Shifu mentioned to me that he had heard of you as being involved with practical sword training and I am sure he would really want to meet you and talk about that and your ideas. He and Mr. Adam Hsu in San Francisco worked with each other long time ago on Chinese sport fencing ideas and I know he also has fenced Chinese methods with real blades with Mr. George Xu and the late Brendain Lai who fenced both Chinese and European style. He is really into promoting realistic Chinese fencing to help as he puts it "restore the lost skills of sword work that modern Wushu has ignored or forgotten."
    So give them an e mail and I am sure Shifu Painter would be thrilled to meet with you sir.

Chaz W

Meeting Dr. Painter

Hey Evolution Fist,

I talked to Mr. Leach at The Gompa office. He said that the workshop is open for students of Ba Gua , however Dr. Painter told him that as you were an instructor he would be glad to allow you to attend or visit with you before the program on friday perhaps at lunch or during the program or anytime during a break. The Host is Joshua Craig and if you email to the link I put up in the other post he will contact them to expect you. I also went to your website and also sent them your email address and phone number.

Mr. Leach said that Dr. Painter has sent you several personal emails in the past to that address about meeting with him but that you never responded?
    So sir with all respect the ball is in your court if you wanna visit with him I know you will be warmly recieved as are any internal art teachers as a fellow instructor.
    Chaz W

OOPS Re: Meeting Dr. Painter

Originally posted by Chaz W
    Hey Evolution Fist,

I talked to Mr. Leach at The Gompa office. He said that the workshop is open for students of Ba Gua , however Dr. Painter told him that as you were an instructor he would be glad to allow you to attend or visit with you before the program on friday perhaps at lunch or during the program or anytime during a break. The Host is Joshua Craig and if you email to the link I put up in the other post he will contact them to expect you. I also went to your website and also sent them your email address and phone number.

Mr. Leach said that Dr. Painter has sent you several personal emails in the past to that address about meeting with him but that you never responded?
    So sir with all respect the ball is in your court if you wanna visit with him I know you will be warmly recieved as are any internal art teachers as a fellow instructor.
    Chaz W
    Dear Mr. Pina,
    I screwed up in my last post. Dr. Painter called me all stern like and informed me that a friend who read this group saw my post and it was your teacer Shifu David Bon Chan that he had invited with a private e mail to attend or visit with him.
    So I am gulty of reading too fast on the forum and since your profile has no name on and I did not see the earlie one where you signed a name plus there is a link to your teachers site, well you may see where I made them mistake in thinking you were him. I apologize to you and your teacher for any misunderstanding and to my teacher for not checking the facts before I shot off my mouth. So if you Mr. Pina live in NY then why not go yourself and visit with my Shifu this weekend if you like. I am sure he would like to meet you also.
    Sorry for the screwup.
    Chaz W

Hi Chaz,

Sorry for such a late reply, I just got back from a biz. trip to Atlanta.

I am a retard when it comes to the sword. My master and many of my training partners are huge sword fanatics, seems like almost every class someone is bringing in a new sword that they think was made well then everyone runs out and buys their own version .... these guys are with swords the way I am with surfboards.

Anyway, I am not an instructor (unless you count teaching my landlords son) but I wouldn't mind joining up with some IMA before or after the seminar. On one hand I don't want to disturb the seminar for folks who have paid and I'm sure have been looking forward to this opportunity. And on the other, and I'm sure some will label me as closed minded, but I also don't want to appear to be seaking instruction. I plan on going out someday, and I want to be able to leave the credit 100% at my master's door.

Of course, this does not mean that I walk with blinders on my head. If I met an old man that could teach me some amazing things ... wait, I already did.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind hosting any of you genetlemen if you need a place to stay, or even treating Mr. Painter to a meal after his seminar. Like I said, I have no ill will towards this man. Just curiosity.

PS

MR Chaz W.,

No harm no foul. These mistakes can happen and its so very easy to be misunderstood on the web because sometimes we read into things with the wrong tone, seeing negativity when none is intended.

My master doesn't visit these types of sites so I doubt he's seen any of this and I'm quite sure it is his daughter that checks the Web site and e-mails but not sure how often she does that. I called over there this morning but I know their is a taiji class going on and then they all go out for lunch.

I'll be in the city tomorrow night to train (class runs from 7:30 till 10:30) but would love to get a chance to meet you gentleman and especially your master if that's at all possible.

I just found out I have a family obligation (engagement party) on Sat. 12-4. So Fri. after work is best and I can even get into Manhattan by 5:00 p.m.

If not, I'm quite sure students like yourself are trainingf hard, as am I, and I know Mr. Novel Bell and his students are training hard ... is it unavoidable that we'll all have to see each others stuff sooner or later? Personally, I think I need about another 3 years, though I have gained a thing or two these past 3.

Hope all is well and good luck with your seminar.
    Ray Pina

Visit With Dr. Painter

Hi Chaz,

Sorry for such a late reply, I just got back from a biz. trip to Atlanta.

treating Mr. Painter to a meal after his seminar. Like I said, I have no ill will towards this man. Just curiosity.
    Mr. Pina,
    I fond out that You can contact Joshua Craig at
    Joshua Craig
    Manhattan, New York
    info@artemis-seminars.com
    www.artemis-seminars.com

He sponsors Dr. Painter, Dr Yang Jwing Ming and others.

Chaz W

PS I know that Dr. Painter would love to meet your Shifu as his passion is sword work also.