Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Dr John Painter PhD, ND, etc, etc

Yeah Golden, Ive seen the archives and read some other topics about him, and seen his site and those unique photos. Ok, so the dude has a questionable history, so freaking what? So do Wing Chun, Southern Mantis and Shuai Chiao practioners. Wing Chun probably top dog in lineage wars. I actually read a review for a Yip Chun book on Amazon.com, the stupid reviewer gave it 2 stars and said ALL all Yip Man students suck because it isn't true Wing Chun. WTF?

Geez, ok so lineage is questionable, so freaking what? If you can dish out the goods, get the forms, learn to fight and know what you are doing, who cares if your Sifu learned from Grandmaster Leung Ting or some guy named Billy Bob who was a 45 year old bag boy at a neighborhood supermarket who learned it from some guy, from another guy, from some other dude, then from another guy who had met Leung Ting.

Ok I managed to find it,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...218965-1272703

Scroll down the reviews, its the guy who gave it 2 stars, from Kennesaw, GA. He wrote

The technique demonstrated by Yip Chun is sloppy at best (like all students of the Yip Man branch of Wing Chun).
    Me, I'd go and meet Dr Painter with my friend, talk to him about Bagua, watch a class with my friend, etc and let him talk to my friend. I'm happy with Wing Chun, its where I am and I don't plan on quitting.

I've actually seen Dr Painter before, I was at the restaurant I (used to, I just quit like yesterday though they dont know it yet) work at and I was off, and was up there talking to my coworkers cause I had nothing better to do. Anyway, Im up there and I look over and who do I see but Dr Painter himself. I would put $$ it was him, he was sitting there with his wife eating chips and salsa, and I was incredibly tempted to run over and introduce myself, I wasn't in uniform, but I thought to myself "No, the guy is eating dinner and it would be rude to run up and pester him" so I walked off.
    I have a signature.

Wink

Sorry count, I'll stick to Wing Chun. When I left Wing Tsun, I was considering on taking up Bagua or Hsing-I from him, then I remembered there was a [well known] Sifu in my area who did Wing Chun so I went over to his school and started there. I've come too far in Wing Tsun to just quit and go on to something else. I don't like quitting something I like.
    I have a signature.

No lineage may not necessarily matter, but honesty usually does. (Generally though, lineage will give you some idea as to the quality)

Originally posted by count
    Philbert,
    sounds like your friend need my teacher LOL. But come on, "One Mile" I could sprint there and back after working out.

BlackJack, I have never heard John Painter say anything about empty force or moving people without touching them. That would be laughable. But don't believe everything you see on the web. Even if it were on his website, he has someone elso do that for him. Tell me where you saw that (link) and I will give him a call. I'm quite sure that won't be there long. LOL Painter is pretty practical with his stuff. That's why police agencies hire him to teach all the time. But hey, he's not even my teacher so I'm not going to defend him, but he is a friend and I'm sure he would take my advice about silly claims of moving people without touching them on his website.
    It's said that Advanced Hsing I practictioners can move people with out touching them. I think I've heard Dr. Painter is capable of doing the same (and I heard that from people who have trained with him or learned from him)
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Unless I was wasted on mexican beer I am almost 100% postive that I have seen two articles...one to be sure either in BB or ISKF....that shows him using empty force on his attackers.

I think I have the rag around my pad somewhere. It showed him in person doing his "empty force" where the attacker was being thrown down like a puppet on a string. He may be a nice gent and all but he has to make money like everybody else and nothing makes money better than the "man on the mountain secrets" if you know what I mean.

Kinda like that systema psyche energy nonsense.

Let me see if I can find the exact article. Cheers.
    Regards

Originally posted by Kymus
    It's said that Advanced Hsing I practictioners can move people with out touching them. I think I've heard Dr. Painter is capable of doing the same (and I heard that from people who have trained with him or learned from him)
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I can move people without touching them. Pretty much anyone with a rock and good aim can as well.

My dog can do it when he passes gas. Maybe I should do a article about him and his martial abilities for Inside Kung Fu.

I bet my great uncles third nut "wilber" that I could get people to purchase instructional tapes on the art form.
    Regards

He did have an article a while back on using fa-jing. It showed him posting and then pulsing his partner up and away from him.

Is this the article you are talking about?? It was in IKF.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Thumbs down take a look at his walking the circle vid

http://www.ninedragonbaguazhang.com/downloads.htm

from what i can see the "walking" that he is doing doesnt represent the type of bagua stepping i have seen,,been taught and practice(and not the sd bagua either). looks half a$$ed if you ask me.

what are your opinions on this vid? ill bet Black Taoist would have a thing or two to say about it.
    TWS
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 07-17-2003 at 10:54 AM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Yeah Dale that be the one.

Can we all say horse sh!t together. I wonder if Yoda taught him that trick. The amount of people who believe in mystical martial nonsense is staggering.
    Regards

Aye, but again, while honesty is nice and all that, I doubt every Wing Chun Grandmaster is the true inheritor of Wing Chun.

Now I am NOT questioning skills here, just saying...

We got Grandmaster Leung Ting of the Wing Tsun style, which is copyrighted. He says he is the inheritor of the one true Wing Tsun.

We got Grandmaster William Cheung of the Traditional Wing Chun style, he says he is the one true Wing Chun.

We got Grandmaster Yip Chun and Yip Cheng (is that right?) who are the sons of Yip Man. They claim to be the one true Ving Tsun.

Now we got 3 different spellings, 3 different guys (4 if you count the brothers), all who say the others are fake, and you see I do Wing Chun and wonder if I care about lineage wars? Not really. I do Wing Chun, I don't care what some idiot who trolls on the internet says, I do Wing Chun, I know it is Wing Chun and I know I can use Wing Chun. I am sure there are other people out there with as much experiance as me who do Wing Chun that would woop my butt, and I respect them for that. I however do not respect Internet Warriors who talk the talk and trash others.
    I have a signature.

My focus is on Hsing-I right now. And I'm not into these "bashing a name" post.

As one martial artist who has been tought a little Ba Gua noticing the walking of another martial artist, there was one thing I noticed: There seams to be a lot of heal-to toe walking, in that his weight is coming down on his heal.

Anyway though, seems like once you have a name everyone wants to come down on ya so I wish the guy the best. I read his bio and the guy claims to have been shot and stabbed a few times while doing some hardcore bodyguarding ... that certainly seems man enough to me.

Actually Willow, he is just adding different ba gua footwork and palm changes into his routine, which is common and not high level ba gua stuff. For example the guy used toe in-toe out stepping and half stepping as well as a little 4 corners to boot. I don't know the guy, and don't know his claims, but from that low quality vid, it looks like he was trained properly.

On the other hand, being a ba gua practitioner, how did you not know that?

Evolution-

No its not about having a "name". Its about trying to sell bullsh!t to the general public as fact. You can be the elite bodyguard to whoever but that does NOT take away the fact that you are telling people they can defend themselves from violent predators with your mind waves.

When you start with one lie when does it come to an end?
    Regards