Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the obssession with guns?

Why the obssession with guns?

Some martial artists feel that it is so necessary to learn how to use a gun. Some martial arts discussion forums show pictures of people pointing guns. Well, what is up with this? A gun can go off without you wanting it to, it is hard to control the amount of damage you can do with it, and you can accidently shoot someone that you did not intend to. So why the obssession with it? Yes, I know they have saved people's lives, but I do not see why people feel that everyone needs one. It actually really saddens and scares me. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by phantom; 07-16-2003 at 08:21 AM.

phantom, pictures don't tell the whole picture. Are these real guns? Are they loaded? In hollywood they have a great way to make it look like you are pointing a gun at someone when you are not.
    Besides I think like everything else, there are some people that like them and some who don't. I don't own one, don't feel the need to but I don't mind that my freinds do.

Your post seems baised from the get-go but I will put in my 2 yen.

A firearm is a critical self defense tool. As a tool it has a time and a place to be used. To be properly used like any martial science it needs training and practice. If a person is really claiming to be teaching practical self defense skills then sidearm/longgun training should be a facet of his teaching either in techincal skill or base philiosophy.

If not he is lying to his students and to himself.

Best advice for those which are "afriad" or "confused" about firearms is to get into the training hands on. Go take some courses at a local NRA training club or a tactical school such as Thunder Ranch.

Come out with first hand knowledge and not media pushed bullsh!t.
    Regards

Black Jack, I agree iwth everything but this :" firearm is a critical self defense tool."

How so?

The hoodlum does not have the patience to become proficient at Kung Fu. He prefers to buy a weapon that he will not always have rather than develop one that will never leave.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The hoodlum does not have the patience to become proficient at Kung Fu. He prefers to buy a weapon that he will not always have rather than develop one that will never leave.
    there are plenty of law abiding citizens that own guns. firearms training can be pretty involved there is a lot more to it than just pulling the trigger.

sorry phantom, but you sound totally uneducated and ignorant about firearms and I don't feel like educating you.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Besides, this thread is about 350 years too late.

Masterkiller is just afraid of guns. Most people who live in Oklahoma are people who really wanted to live in Texas, but were afraid of the guns.

I live in Texas and haven't handled a gun since summer camp between seventh and eighth grade. That was just about twenty years ago, popping haybales with a 22 rifle. Never held a small arm.

Target shooting looks like it could be fun, though. I think archery might be even more fun (and certainly better excercise.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Two reasons,

Number one is that we do not live in the Ming Dynasty no matter how hard some would want for that to be so and the second is that most martial arts material should be used as a last resort because of its low chance of success in terms of attributes for the everyday citizen and often just because of sheer bs.

A housewife is not going to be able to aikido throw a determined attacker with murder on his mind but with some training she can send tactical lead down his way.

It gives equal and realistic stopping ability to those of all attributes, sexes, ages, and creeds.

Fred- I second that. Firearms training like martial arts can be very indepth. As indepth as a person wants to take it.

Chang- To second that as well. Their is also more to firearms than home/self protection. A lot of people target shoot or benchrest.

Just as people take martial arts for fun, which I hope we all do, shooters shoot because they enjoy the skill, same as archers.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 07-16-2003 at 08:51 AM.
    Regards

Besides all that, Guns are really cool!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

So is Randomly capitalizing Words!
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

And if you can dive while shooting two guns at the same time you are fully qualified for the next John Woo-directed film.

Unless you're allergic to dove feathers, that is.
    Crippled Avenger

Masterkiller is just afraid of guns. Most people who live in Oklahoma are people who really wanted to live in Texas, but were afraid of the guns.
    That's partially true. People in Oklahoma do want to live in Texas, but we stay here so we can root for a football team that actually wins championships.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.