Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Qi Gong Questions

Shaolin Qi Gong Questions

Ok, can anyone describe the core Shaolin Qi Gong sets?

Specifically

Sui Xue jing, Yi Jin Jing, 18 Louhan hands, and Wuxing Gong.

I have video of Yi Jin Jing and Sui Xue Jing, and I have video of the 18 Louhan hands, but to be honest, it confuses me as they are not consistant.

As far as the 18 Louhan hands goes, I have the Temple knights video from KFM, and it calls it both "18 Buddha's palm", AND "The original Five Animals Qi Gong". I also have a different version of it from a Choi Lay Fut lineage that just calls it the Louhan Kung (although the box itself says "Louhan 18 hands Qi Gong"). That one is a slightly different versoion, and it's played with a different flavor, but otherwise it's the same set as the Temple Knights video, and appears to be a series of holding postures.

Now, for the really confuser, I have two videos, called 18 Louhan hands that are both constructed much differently than the ones above. They are a series of 18 very small sets with 3 excercises in them. Two are moving. The 3rd is a holding posture usually, but it's not the same as the other Louhans I have. It does share a number of postures, but the rest of it is very different. The second appears to be constructed pretty much the same way, but the exercises look like a health nut with lots of modern Yoga re-worked it. I also have a version Taught to me by one of my tai tzu Sifus that is the same construction, but also different exercises (His was a Seven Star Mantis set).

In the past, someone mentioned to me there is an advanced Shaolin Qi gong called Wuxing Gong. It was derived from the original 3 of Ta Mo. Can anyone describe it? Is it like the Louhan Qi gongs that is a series of exercises like mentioned directly above? or is it like the first Louhan Qi gong from the Choi Lay Fut that I mentioned??? Is it something completely different maybe?

Maybe if we start with a verbal description of what each set is suposed to be constructed like?? (posture holding, calethenics, Seated meditation etc..)

Sui Xue jing

Yi Jin Jing

18 Louhan hands

Wuxing Gong

Thanx Guys, I have been confused about this for years now.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Xi Sui Jing Lyrics

1. Close fist in meditation
    2. Join palms and begin exercise
    3. Double hands push the gate
    4. A concentration of calm energy
    5. Stretch arms and open the meridians
    6. Raise arms and open the stomach
    7. Three peaks towering straight up
    8. Dragon searches with Right claw
    9. Dragon searches with Left claw
    10. Sit in the Lotus and hold upper arms level
    11. Hold arms level with palms facing downward
    12. Raise both arms upwards
    13. Calm the mind and sink the chi
    14. Raise both arms upward again
    15. Hold arms level with palms facing upwards
    16. Calm the mind and sink the chi
    17. Hold arms level with palms facing downward to ground the chi
    18. Calm the mind and sink the chi
    19. Cross hands downward and open the Elixir fields
    20. Hold arms level with palms facing downward
    21. Cross arms and grab shoulders (right)
    22. Hold arms level with palms facing upwards
    23. Cross arms and grab shoulders (left)
    24. Hold arms level with palms facing downward and ground the chi
    25.Hold arms level with clinched fists
    26. Bend arms and withdraw the fists (waist)
    27. Raise both arms upwards
    28. Close fist and ground the chi
    29. Closing movement
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hmm, interesting, but not really helpfull as I have no idea what all the poetry means. I'm looking more for general guidlines to help me identify the sets. I'm trying to graps the "Essence" of them, so I can identify the sets, or sets that came from them. Forinstance, I have 4 videos all claiming to be 18 Louhan Hands. The first Two are constructed very similar to each other, but the very different form the 3rd and 4th. The 3rd and 4th are very similar to each other, but very different than 1 and 2. So, which is the real thing? The one that is mostly posture holding (1&2)?, or the one thats mostly lots of calisthenic drills (3&4)?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

RD:

I only have trained in the CLF Luohan Qi Gong first form. I think they called the system Luohan Gong, as Luohan exercises.
    The first form is Sup Bak Luohan Kuen or 18 hands/fists of the luohan ans is intented to take your body to full tension and relax sincronized with the breath. I think this are the principles of Yi Jin Jing.
    CLF Luohan Qi Gong also have 4 more forms and other exercises.
    The forms are:
    Siu Luohan
    Dai Luohan
    Tai Gik
    Mo Gik ( Wu ji)

You can find more info in clfma.com and a description of the forms at http://www.luohan.com/html_uk/uk_luoform.html

Hi,
    THIS is what I know as the 18 Louhan Hands

http://www.luohan.com/html_uk/uk_luotechnical.html

The GREAT LUOHAN - TAI LUOHAN Is what I understand to be Sui Xue Jing

I don't recognise the others exept Wu Ji. That appears to be the Martial Louhan sets.

I'm wondering if the "18 Louhan hands" Is an umbrella name for the three Qi Gongs of Sui Xue jing, Yi jing Jing, and Wuiji?

For the Women:

+ = & a

as far as my limited understanding RD, there is also a sitting Luohan hands set... which seems to be posture based/yogic in nature. I have seen that version from some southern chinese/malaysian systems of kung fu.

I know its specifically called "18 Luohan Hands" but apart from that, dont know much about it... sorry

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

RD, that is very similar to the set that I know under the same name.

Immortal Raises Hands

Here is a scan from the 1st gung of our 18 Luohan.
    This is the same one in 7* mantis.

RD,
    Have you seen that 7* mantis version being like the versions from other schools?

Hmmmm, They all start with that one. I started doing the one sold through KFM by Temple knights a few years ago. Later, I got one from a Mantis lineage, and it was totally different. I'm trying to figure out which is the closest to the original. I suspect it's the Choi Lay Fut version, as it is simpiler, being only static holding postures. The Mantis one is completely different, and is 18 mini exercise forms consisting of 2 moving exercises, and the last is usually a holding posture.

For the Women:

+ = & a

ba duan jin

This thread is very interesting. I've noticed some similarities to some forms and concepts that I've seen and done. I can't quite put my finger on it yet, though...
    My question is what about baduanjin? I've heard it classified as Buddhist qigong and it seems to be very similar (in concept) to the ideas on this thread.
    In addition to baduanjin, I've been doing Zhan Zhuang qigong for a number of years with very good benefits. It also has similar concepts to some of the luohan qigong. The zhan zhuang is all static postures.
    Blah, blah, blah...

Bone marrow washing is a very advanced qigong excercise, correct?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Of course. Comes after muscle/tendon changing.

then why is there a seminar up hur teaching white belts bone marrow washing?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Qigong is fake.

So are ninjas.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.