Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shaolin Qi Gong Questions

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Gigi Oh, our publisher, sat in on part of one of these, was rather excited about being able to pop the bottom of a wine bottle out by slapping the top until I told her we used to do that while drunk in college with Lucky Lager beer bottles. this being said, I maintain my position that understanding the qigong stunts is very important to the practice of martial arts. You need to know what is real and what is physics. It's also good to show off at ****tail parties
    I gotta try that trick with one of these double-size beer bottles I have lying around sometime. Never have...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

The secret to breaking

The real secret to breaking lies in what you are breaking. For boards, a little oven-dried soft wood is best. Or you can just get some Paulownia . For bottles, it's all about the bottle. Some are much easier than others. Lucky Lager is really cheap, so the bottles are really cheap. Also, the bottle should be half full, not only to make the break more spectacular, but also to help the *ahem* physics of it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

I can't believe you talk down on chinese kung fu and say that its like physics. It's NOT physics - this is a western art. Eastern art is different.

Slightly OT

This is becoming my weird Shaolin qigong thread. There's a vid if you follow the link.

Kung Fu believe it? Stomach-churning film shows two boys from a Shaolin Monastery contort their bodies during grotesque dance routines
    Footage shows two boys from the Shaolin Monastery doing hypnotic dances
    One moves is belly like a crashing wave and then incredibly clenches it in
    The camera then pans to another boy moving his shoulder blades out of place
    The Shaolin Monastery is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago
    By Simon Holmes For Mailonline
    PUBLISHED: 14:31 EDT, 4 August 2017 | UPDATED: 20:01 EDT, 4 August 2017

Footage has emerged of two boys from the Shaolin Monastery in China performing a hypnotic belly and scapula 'dance'.

The short clip shows one moving his belly like a wave and then clenching his stomach in.

The camera then pans to another boy moving his scapula or shoulder blades out of place in a bizarre movement.

One moves his belly like a crashing wave and then clenching his stomach in

The camera then pans to another boy moving his scapula or shoulder blades out of place in a bizarre movement

The world famous Shaolin Monastery in Zhengzhou, Henan Province is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago. It is still considered the world's main school of Buddhism.

Students can also learn Kung Fu, a Chinese marital art that combines Zen Buddhism, where they can study how to gain such control over their bodies.

The footage was taken on July 12 but emerged online this week.

The world famous Shaolin Monastery in Zhengzhou, Henan Province is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez View Post
    I can't believe you talk down on chinese kung fu and say that its like physics. It's NOT physics - this is a western art. Eastern art is different.
    Physics is physics, Vasquez. Acknowledging that is not 'talking down', it's being realistic. I do 'talk down' deception based on physics tricks. That's fakery, plain and simple. That being said, I have witnessed several qigong feats that transcend our understanding of physics, but bottle (and some board) breaks ain't one of them. Neither is the contortion in the article above - but that's interesting nonetheless.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My teacher loved to put on weird demonstrations for crowds. Bottom block breaks, bed of nail concrete breaks, etc., but he never pretended it was anything other than a physics trick.