Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Qi Gong Questions

then why is there a seminar up hur teaching white belts bone marrow washing?
    Who? Where? At the not at the SD school is it?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

not SD, but affiliated w/ SD.
    Chinese Shao-lin Center.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Thats SD enough for me... I don't like that school all too much.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Thats SD enough for me... I don't like that school all too much.
    The Soards don't call it SD, but there are students of Sin The' and it is the same style, more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I went into the kwoon because in the phone book it had it listed under MA supplies, and I love a good sword as much as the next man. Much to my dismay, when I entered I had to sit through a 30min group sales pitch.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

qi gong... why?

i'm wondering why all the excercises of breaking things,or the things with the spear,or the bowl......why they call this qi gong,extreme qi gong?
    son of the light

You call in the spirits like san da in extreme qi gong. quite dangerous if you can't get them to leave.

those are parlour tricks. only a small amount of adeptness is required. but to the uneducated eye they are impressive and drive people into schools or to make donations for getting to see the tricks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've seen the shaolins break metal slabs with their heads. easy for you to say its a parlor trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    I've seen the shaolins break metal slabs with their heads. easy for you to say its a parlor trick.

there's a difference between iron, steel and the slag that runs off in the making of them.

The metal used in teh head breaking tricks is slag, it is brittle, it will break across your knee or head or pretty much anywhere with no damage incurred.

again, a parlour trick.

Real qigong has nothing to do with that sort of nonsense, but to open the door for the unenlightened, a little theatre is a viable way of doing so.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    there's a difference between iron, steel and the slag that runs off in the making of them.

The metal used in teh head breaking tricks is slag, it is brittle, it will break across your knee or head or pretty much anywhere with no damage incurred.

again, a parlour trick.

Real qigong has nothing to do with that sort of nonsense, but to open the door for the unenlightened, a little theatre is a viable way of doing so.
    qi qong or not..i stil give them props for having the balls to break something or having spears pointed at their throats
    im pretty sure it is a simple trick(after many pratice)....but they do still need to practice it
    cant just take any original man out..and tell them to stick 2-3 spears on the throat...and lean on it..and put a big concrete brick on their back and smash it open with a sledge hammer and expect the guy to be perfectly fine..even if you did tell him all the physics and tricks to it...
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Well its a good trick to have if you can be stabbed in the throat by spears and not get hurt. You can also stop cuts from swords and if you train hard enough you can stop a bullet

tricks vs. genuine

If you have a good eye, you can tell the tricks from the non-tricks. Surely there are many tricks. But there are also many genuine hard qigong demonstrations. I don't think you can just dismiss the whole field because the bulk of it is trickery. Using that same argument, you might as well dismiss the bulk of kung fu. The real trick is konwing enough about basic physics to be able to determine what is really hard and what is really easy. Even better, if you try some of these stunts (under the watchful eye of qualified master) you'll know exactly how hard or easy some of them are.

Note: I've seen a few qigong 'tricks' go wrong too - live on stage, no less. As with anything in the martial arts, you can only speak poorly of it if you've done it. Denigrating it from an armchair perspective is demonstrates low wude.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I agree. I have seen hard qigong feats that are quite impressive.

They involved taking tremendous strikes with hard objects.

I don't dismiss hard qigongs it all, just the obvious stuff and the known tricks.
    Most will not see or get to see the real deal in a stage show, although, now and then someone opens the box'o'goodness.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

All kung fu is qi gong. Hard qi gong is fighting, application or rigerous drilling of fighting skills. Soft qi gong is restorative and promotes a healthy body and mind. You can have one without the other, but you shouldn't. Yin/Yang baby.
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.