Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Leong?

John Leong?

I saw this name mentioned in this forum.

Who is his teacher and how long did he learn?

His sifu was Wong Lei. He has been teaching hung gar in the US for a long time. I believe since the 1960s.

Peace.

John Leongs school has been open for 40 years this year...so a long time. His Sifu was Master Wong Lei, but he did not learn from Lam Jo, he learned from Lam Sai Wing...He was a praying mantis Sifu, and one day he got off of a boat (cant recall where right now..canton maybe?) and some guys tried to grab his bags and carry them for $$$. He told them no and they got angry, and started to theaten him a bit (he was a shorter man) and he promptly showed them a bit of Kung fu, knocking them into the water or to the ground without putting down his bags...one of the students in Lam Sai Wings school saw this happen, and told Lam Sai Wing, who eventually got to know Wong Lei. Wong Lei was eventually invited to study with Lam Sai Wing, and took up Hung Gar, which is actually fairly similar to the mantis style that he practiced. As far as I know he practiced both until the day he died. Who told you he studied under Lam Jo?
    -Golden Arms-

Golden Arms,

Who told you Wong Lee learned from Lam Sai Wing?

I have learned from two students of Wong Lee, and met several other students.
    They all use the lineage Lam Cho, because this is what Wong Lee told them.
    So I wonder where you got this different story.

One more thing.
    Wong Lee didn't learn praying mantis, but Sam Chin style in China before he came to Hong Kong.

Wong Lee taught the Sam Chin style as beginner forms (two forms) in his curriculum.

Regards,
    Jan Seung

I am not trying to get in an argument on this, you may well be right on some of what you say. But let me ask then..if he didnt do mantis, why would he have taught a person I know a couple mantis forms when he went out and studied under him before his death? Either way..we has a pretty awesome guy from what I have heard about him And if Lam Sai Wing was around sometimes..then wouldnt you say He learned under him instead of Lam Jo even if he was not taught always by LSW? LSW would be considered the sifu until his death, correct?
    -Golden Arms-

Golden Arms,

Which praying mantis forms?

Lam Cho included a praying mantis form.
    So Wong Lee taught a praying mantis form indeed.

Are you from Wong Lee lineage?
    If so, is your teacher a senior student of Wong Lee?

I know several senior students of Wong Lee, who all say Wong Lee said his sifu was Lam Cho.
    So I really wonder where your information comes from.
    Are you ever in Hong Kong?

I am not saying he didnt learn from Lam Jo, I was more curious why he would not be considered a student of Lam Sai Wing if it was Lam Sai Wings school, and Lam Sai Wing was still alive? Actually, it was cool to get some new info on Wong Lei, do his senior students have any schools in Hong Kong or abroad?
    -Golden Arms-

Anyway,
    Lam Sai Wing was first Hung Ga Master interested to promote his style, many Branch School, many manager he promote to "Sifu", not just "Si Hing-Si Hing", everywhere!
    Lam Jo is there first, so senior to everybody. 18-years-old is now "Sifu" also, nobody can believe it! Lam Sai Wing continue to support the Sifu who all run Branch School for him, Lam Jo manage everything. Wong Lee learns everything from Lum Jo directly.
    You can see he play Lau Ga Boxing also, This one from Lum Jo, only. Different sword, everything. Wong Lee the very good follower, very respect his Sifu.

Perhaps his friend teach him the Pray Mantis Style?

Cool, that makes sense. I just talked to a couple People that trained under Wong Lee, and I had all my questions answered. If I am ever over in those parts, I will see what any of his students over there have to say too. I wish he was still alive Thank you all for the info.
    -Golden Arms-

Golden Arms,

Do you know anything about Sam Chin?
    If not, maybe I can tell you a little bit.

Question

Golden Arms, out of curiosity, who did you find that studied with Wong Lee. To the best on my knowledge there is only one person in Seattle. So I'm assuming you mean that you corresponded via. the Internet, if so I'm curious who the couple of people are.

Jan Seung, please check your private messages.

CJ

How do I check private messages?
    Is that email? I didn't receive any emails from you.

Jan Seung,

Click on the "User Control Panel" in the upper left under the Kung Fu Magazine logo. Your profile does not allow for e-mail to be sent to you from this board.

CJ

CJ,

I met and learned from old students too. They are sihing of John Leong. They also use only lineage Lam Cho.
    So far Leong is first time I hear a different story.
    Some differences in what I heard are:

Wong Lee didn't learn from Lam Sai Wing and then later went to Lam Cho as you mention.
    He went to Lam Cho directly. The name was first branch school of Lam Sei Wing Organisation. So then Lam Sai Wing supported his students that wanted to teach.
    Lam Sai Wing only taught in his own school at HK island (later also run by other students), not in the branch schools.
    Because Lam Sai Wing support his students, he occasionally visit their school. Then he sat there watching, not teaching.
    Sometimes if he didn't like what he saw, he would take the instructor outside and complain to him.

Break away from Lam Cho -
    there was a time that there was some frictions, yes.
    But it had a different reason - several students of Wong Lee asked if Lam Cho could teach them and opened a school for Lam Cho.
    So Wong Lee didn't like this. Then there was some problems, but later everything was okay again.
    At that time Wong Lee sometimes said to young students "I learn at first branch school of Lam Sai Wing Organisation".
    Because he only used that name, some beginner students didn't know Lam Cho taught there. But all the senior students know Wong Lee further always said his sifu is Lam Cho.

Ok, enough for now.
    I hope this different information helps.