Thread: Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi - how do they compare and which should I learn?

Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi - how do they compare and which should I learn?

Does anyone know the difference between Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi? There is a teacher near my place (master Li Tai Liang) who teaches Dai Xinyi. He is supposed to be the best teacher in the New York area. But I'm not sure if Dai Xinyi is a complete xingyi style and if it contains development of fa jing, etc.

Should I keep looking for someone who teaches Shanxi Xingyi instead? I've read that this is the most fluid and complex xingyi style. And it contains a lot of fa jing emphasis.

One more thing - is the learning of ALL 12 animal forms necessary for great xingyi fighting?

I'd appreciate any input from the xingyi people out there.

Li Tai Liang also teaches Shanxi. Check out his website:

http://www.homestead.com/litailiang/1.html

Li Tailiang teaches Shanxi Style. And exercises from Dai Xinyi. He's very good.

Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi are very different. Huge differences. Go to www.chinafrominside.com and have fun reading about its history, characteristics, etc.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Re: Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi - how do they compare and which should I learn?

Originally posted by ascan
    Does anyone know the difference between Dai Xinyi and Shanxi Xingyi? There is a teacher near my place (master Li Tai Liang) who teaches Dai Xinyi. He is supposed to be the best teacher in the New York area. But I'm not sure if Dai Xinyi is a complete xingyi style and if it contains development of fa jing, etc.
    Does the Dai family style generate internal power? Yep. In fact, you could argue it's more focused on this than its Che brethren. Is it a complete system? Yep.

Should I keep looking for someone who teaches Shanxi Xingyi instead? I've read that this is the most fluid and complex xingyi style. And it contains a lot of fa jing emphasis.
    Umm, LTL's family style is the Che style--a Shanxi style.

One more thing - is the learning of ALL 12 animal forms necessary for great xingyi fighting?
    *chuckle*

While we might argue what "great xingyi fighting" means, you could make an entire repertoire out of pi *or* zhuan.

I'd appreciate any input from the xingyi people out there.
    For numerous reasons, LTL is an extraordinary man.
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich

Go study with Master Li

As my old fencing coach used to always say "He who hesitates is lost." So many people here are frustrated because they can't find a decent Xingyi teacher. You are in range of Master Li, and you're hesitating?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just a sidenote: LTL does teach the basics of the Dai family Hsin Yi, but mainly to complement the Che style Hsing I, which is what he primarily teaches.

Believe it or not, LTL is contractually obligated NOT to teach the whole of Dai style Hsin Yi without permission from the family.

So basically, as far as Dai style is concerned, nothing past the basic exercises and the five elements (along with some applications).

If you're ever downtown on a Tues. or Fri. night you can stop by my master's Hsing-I class on Bowery Street. You can check the web site below for the adress. Come on your own, or give me a shout out and I'll meet ya before hand.

Peace
    Ray