Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What? No Bruce Thread TODAY??

What? No Bruce Thread TODAY??

We lost Bruce Lee 30 years ago today. While I was only 4 years old at the time, as an actor/stuntman/martial artist, I still look to his powerful image for inspiration.

So I'll ask the forum what was asked at the Bruce Lee convention in Burbank last week - those of you who weren't there missed a great show.

What impact if any (there are a lot of Bruce-hata's on this forum) did Bruce Lee have on your Martial Arts life?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

Impact on life...EVERYTHING! Without him we wouldn't have a clue about real cma or martial arts in any form. Bruce was truly a modern 'master' he did things that we hear about in the old stories and pass off as 'parlor tricks.'

"Be flexible like water. You put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot."

nope, did not influence me.

"Without him we wouldn't have a clue about real cma or martial arts in any form"

Uhmm.. I wouldn't go so far as that. CMA was starting to spread to different countrys before him.
    But he was surly one of the 'first'. Didn't impact my life that much though. I'm to young I guess. I grew up with the Jackie Chan stuff
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by neit
    nope, did not influence me.
    Might not influenced you, but he probably influenced someone in your system (though you don't have a style listed) close to you and stuff. Chances are without him, CMA wouldnt be anywhere near as popular today. Am I saying he is a great man? No, the guy had alot of problems just like anyone else. I am just saying he did impact CMA alot.
    I have a signature.

Originally posted by PHILBERT

Might not influenced you, but he probably influenced someone in your system (though you don't have a style listed) close to you and stuff. Chances are without him, CMA wouldnt be anywhere near as popular today. Am I saying he is a great man? No, the guy had alot of problems just like anyone else. I am just saying he did impact CMA alot.
    Yep - he did a lot to bring CMA to the wider western public through his movies.

How did he influence me? Not much - I liked his movies (and who didn't want to learn the nunchuku after watching Enter the Dragon?). But I do not believe he influenced my decision to train in MA, and I do not believe he has affected the art I learn in any way that I can see.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by MonkeyKing
    "Be flexible like water. You put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot."
    WRONG.

"The water neither becomes the teapot not the teapot the water".

Cheers.

P.S.: "Be flexible like water" is an old TJQ saying.

Laughing cow, you have mad cow's disease!!! Have you not seen the old black and white interview with Bruce where he says that quote?

or are you trolling? surely you don't take such remarks literally? Or does the concept do a fly by over your sloped brow?

nice two headed humping cow avatar btw

Yeah he hasn't influenced me either all that much. I didn't choose to train martial arts because of him, and in fact, I started training in martial arts before I even saw my first Bruce Lee movie. Even though I do Wing Chun, I didn't choose Wing Chun because of him, nor have I read alot of stuff he has written. Read Chinese Gung Fu: Philosophical Art of Self Defense, some of Tao JKD and Tao of Gung Fu.
    I have a signature.

Laughing cow, you have mad cow's disease!!! Have you not seen the old black and white interview with Bruce where he says that quote?
    Yeah, I have seen it and it is pure propaganda to sell his art, as was his famous one-inch punch.

Sorry, but BL didn't come up with anything new nor revolutionary.

I got more from the one of the early shaw Brothers, jackie Chan and similar movies than I got from ALL the BL movies combined.

surely you don't take such remarks literally?
    I don't but too many do.

Too many people read way too much into what BL said and see him as as a grand master.

Maybe when you have trained for 20+ yrs like many here you will see it too.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 07-20-2003 at 10:43 PM.

quote - "Yeah, I have seen it and it is pure propaganda to sell his art, as was his famous one-inch punch.

Sorry, but BL didn't come up with anything new nor revolutionary."

Last time I checked BL never claimed to come up the example. What you call propaganda is also called marketing. And that propaganda helped all of us in our established arts. Sorry but I wasn't trying to portray that as revolutionary, just fond remembrance of some **** good propaganda. He does a good job teaching that concept in the interview.

quote - "I got more from the one of the early shaw Brothers, jackie Chan and similar movies than I got from ALL the BL movies combined."

Jackie Chan is awesome, but is not a martial artist, nice to know you picked up some good stuff from him. Also, without BL, Jackie Chan may not have been as successful as he is today. I'm not a Bruce junkie or anything, but I do acknowledge his accomplishments and what he represents for aspiring martial artists.

quote - "I don't but too many do.

Too many people read way too much into what BL said and see him as as a grand master.

Maybe when you have trained for 20+ yrs like many here you will see it too."

Maybe when your dead for 30 years, let's see if anyone will have anything to say in remembrance of your achievements pro or con. Highly unlikely.

btw I have trained for 20+ years you assumptive know-it-all....

Maybe when your dead for 30 years, let's see if anyone will have anything to say in remembrance of your achievements pro or con. Highly unlikely.
    Nice one. Sorry, to say that you BIG idol and worhsip ain't worth as much as you think.

I still stick to people like Ueshiba, Kano, Funakoshi and all the other great masters in CMA when I want to look up to peoples achievements.

btw I have trained for 20+ years you assumptive know-it-all....
    Your profile states your birthday
    as: March 6, 1980

So 20+ yrs in your case you trained MA from WHEN?

PLus, if you trained for 20+yrs why does your profile state the following:
    How long have you trained? 6 years

Also what styls is : CMA??

does this mean 1 style or multiples for a few years each.

Come on it is getting better everytime you post.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 07-20-2003 at 11:16 PM.

oh the profile thing, well my son decided he wanted to post on this forum, and they sent me a permission form in an email, I sent it back denying my son access to the posts. He diligently filled it out as though he was 23 or so and figured that would pass but for whatever reason things played out such as they are, thank you for pointing out the error though, I shall correct it for your viewing pleasure. Trolls like to look at profiles and find little things to pick on, hence the reason yours is basically blank...leaving you no proof of your credibility either.

And as I said, I don't idolize BL, but I do respect him.

quote - "I still stick to people like Ueshiba, Kano, Funakoshi and all the other great masters in CMA when I want to look up to peoples achievements.

Also what styls is : CMA??"

I thought CMA was short for Chinese Martial Arts? So what style is CMA? Perhaps I'm mistaken...

Monkey King.

Very neat and tidy way of squirming out of it.

Not that we know that the current values are as real as the old ones.

Still 41yrs old and 37 yrs experience looks that much more impressive and believable.
    ;D

Again what style did yoy study.

As for my profile being blank, maybe if you ask nicely I will pm you my details.

Seeya round.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 07-21-2003 at 12:22 AM.

reading the art of expressing the human body was what really got me training seriously. i had already been training for years, but reading about how fanatical he was in his martial progress inspired me to start taking working out and training a lot more seriously.

i owe my progress over the past couple years to my teacher and the motivation to really listen to him to that book.
    where's my beer?