Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee

Wow red5angel, I take it COMPLETELY differently. I always thought that the fight between Bruce and Wong Jack Man was a fvcking mess but that Bruce came out on top.

I compare it to the early Ultimate Fighting Championships where you had guys with blackbelts and up to dozens of years in martial arts look completely incompetent and wild because they had just trained in traditional ways without actually ever fighting....as opposed to maybe a boxer, kickboxer, grappler, wrestler etc who compete all out in their respective sports/styles.

This may have been the time he became interested in combat sports as a tool to get that timing and experience in fighting.

Quick quick!!! Check the size of Bruce Lee's d1ck! Is it bigger than mine??? That fukin bast@rd!!

You people need help.

Seriously....

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Interesting article on the fight

"We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

Well according to all involved both men, but especially WJM had plenty of fighting experience. I think BL's interest in combatitive sports probably was an extension of his interest in the martial arts in general. He wanted to make the ultimate "style".

It's just too many things for me point to BL getting beat. His reaction was extreme to a fight he "won" no matter how long it took him to win it. He claims up until that time that he fought many rooftop battles in hong kong but it has been disclosed that for the most part he just watched the majority of those rooftop fights. My guess is he probably fought in a few and won atleast the majority of them, or hadn't lost at all, and so expected to be unbeatable. Then the unthinkable happens, he gets beat. Couldn't him, he is the best fighter he knows. Has to be the system or the way of training.

ok, I am bored again, so I will put blood i the water

I think most of what you guys said about BL is correct. Arrogence, lack of knowledge in alot of MA styles, c0ckiness, ripping off old texts etc etc.
    To be honest, BL was a main reason why I started MA. Ironically, he is now someone I constantly remind myself to not become.

Anyway, now you know my private ( shhhh, don't tell anyone ) thoughts about BL let me say something that my stir the pot a little

As much faults as BL has, lets not forget that he has made more contribution to the promotion of CMA as well as Chinese pride than anyone in his days. CMA was barely known back then. When people talk about "Kung Fu", people may think it is some kind of exotic drink in some alien tropical island. The name KF wasn't even registered in people's mind. But BL was able change that completely.

Before BL, chinese were seen as those short, line-eye, two long whiskers cowards. The chinese community living in the western worlds suffered a great deal of sterotyping ( ok, so every non-white were, but lets stick to chinese for now ) But after BL, the concept of what a "Chinese" is changed dramatically in the western world. Having a more.......... bruce lee-like image . It was then that alot of chinese children were able to stand up and say "I am Chinese" with pride. Many people who live in BL's time will say that the smashing of that "no chinese or dogs allowed" sign in fist of fury was a very symbolic event to alot of asian countries. Not only asians, but alot of places around the world where people were ashamed of their own identities because of their lack of strength in comparison to their neigbours.

thirdly, look at the people he inspired ? Look at the generations of MA stars that came after him ? What they were able to achieve. Sure, the final winners is hollywood. but hey, we, the audience wins too.

Now, we must ask ourselves this. If it wasn't for BL's character flaws, was all this possible ? A common CMAist would be less willing to flaunt their skill and achievements. Always being able to keep their ego in checked. But really, how many of these people really were able to change the world for the chinese people as BL has ?

Ryu, nice man, glad to see your open to some discussion....thats what's really lame.

chinwoo, absolutely man, like I said, I enjoy his movies as much as the next and I can appreciate what he did for the asian community at large and for martial arts.

Discussion about Bruce again?? Even I'm getting tired of talking about him.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

obviously not since you felt the need to make a post like that. Imagine someone else out there wants to talk about something you don't. But I guess that makes it wrong right? I don't mind the occasional BL discussion from time to time, I also don't mind talking about martial arts from time to time either, I do mind someone blasting into a conversation with nothing useful to say, just because they don't like the subject matter. If you have an opinion about the subject feel free but my recommendation to you is that if you don't have anything useful or freindly to say don't bother, it serves no purpose but to make you look like an ass.

Ryu, just because your ha****en can't scratch BL doesn't mean you have to get bitter..............

you know what ****es me off the most Ryu? The fact that from time to time you have some pretty good and pretty intelligent things to say. It really disappoints me that you felt the need to come in like that and post something needlessly offensive. Not that it should matter to you I guess but really, what purpose did that serve? did it make you feel better?

http://www.kungfu.net/brucelee.html

I have read a little of this before. Regardless of who is right or wrong...what Wong Jack Man says just sounds like a lot of BS.

That, says Wong, is why he failed to deliver a devastating right-hand blow on any of the three occasions he had Lee’s head locked under his left arm. Instead, he says, he released his opponent each time, only to have an even more enraged Bruce Lee press on with his furious attack. "He would never say he lost until you killed him," says Wong. And despite his concern with the legal consequences, Wong says that killing Lee is something he began to consider. "I remember thinking, ‘If he injures me, if he really hurts me, I’ll have to kill him.
    That is what we called the 3rd Grade Headlock in MMA

Why is it that he thinks he has to kill Bruce to defeat him? Has he never heard of a choke? Did he never understand that you can choke someone unconscious without killing them?

I still believe that the fight was probably a big mess.

red5angel, take it easy !!!
    You are going burst a blood vessal.

You CAN see that ryu is just joking right ?
    I mean, bitter about his d!ck size and all, but it isn't really malicious.

Oh come on you guys!

I have to be "Mr. Cool and collected" ALL the time?? As Merryprankster would say, "don't get your panties in a wad"

Fine, I apologize for my demoralizing statement. One thing is right though, I'm not in the mood to discuss Bruce, so you guys go on ahead, and I'll bow out. How's that?

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....

yeah, I find all these "worried about legal consequences" excuses to be highly suspect. Did they worry about legal consequences back in the day when they used to fight to the death? EVEN if those stories are FALSE, still they are a part of most Kung Fu histories so anyone taking up a challenge fight would have to have at least been willing to hurt the other guy.

And Red, if it offended you that bad, I do apologize for real. I was mostly just joking because the poor guy isn't here to defend himself you know?

But no, my statement was just to make fun and offend. So sorry if it bugged you more than I intended. Didn't mean it THAT maliciously.

I will bow out now. I have some things to finish up anyway.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....