Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shots to the armpits?

Shots to the armpits?

Other then possibly being pressure point type shots, has anyone found these strikes to the armpits to be effective?

i know if you can land them, they can hurt real bad. i wouldn't concentrate on them in a fight, they are too hard to aim for. if it was open or something and i could get to it without fighting i would hit it. other than that i wouldn't worry about it.

Energetically (Heart 1 meridian point), it does have a strong effect on the organs of the body and dis balance it certainly. Anatomically speaking, the effect can be leading to the end of the game. Because, besides the primary blood vessels, nerves and lymphatic damage we will fracture the shoulder, collar bone or even the a cervical vertebrae. I like to meet the first fighter able to fight after one of the above mentioned damages.

Please open Gray’s anatomy book and look at the pictures. Still doubts? Ask someone to facilitate your armpit region, and enjoy.

EV
    ----------------
    Scott Adams: "Never argue with an idiot. He just drags you down to his level and beats you with experience".

You will also deaden the arm which you strike in the armpit. It will give you time to work the side that has the deadened arm.

It's a very effective target.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Its a effective secondary target IMO if you have a opening. the problem is getting the opening. A typical boxer guard keeps the elbows tucked in.

But for a blade it gathers a whole new level of medical trauma with a better degree of making the line to target.
    Regards

Thumbs up to BJ for the blade mention.

Silat and Kali have alot to offer in armpit strikes. The armpit is not far from a persons bicep, and is pretty easy to get to once you start getting into real guntings and "mouseing." The only reason not to goto the armpit from any sort of destruction on the arm or chest is because you can get the guys neck/head and break or throw.

If your deep enough on someone to take the armpit you probably have alot of other options, mainly throws and other takedowns that would be higher on my list then 'wasting' a beat on the armpit.

The Blade changes sthings dramatically.

strike!

Re:Armpit strikes

Armpit strikes are very effective because of the large bundle of nerves in that area(and under the bottom of the arm)also an inward strike to the ribs located under the arm.To be the most effective you should strike with a piercing hand(phoenix eye fist,bil jee,leopard fist,cranes beak,spear hand etc.)Also as others have mentioned you should not chase the target, when it is opened or offered to you use it.

it works

I do security at a bar with no pat downs and I'm a body guard. I've used this technique quite a few times. The most effective result was a direct right hook at body level (swung horizontaly) directly to the armpit (while twisting the waist). The dude just got all pale and collapsed right there. More like, crumpled. Another time I kneed a guy in the armpit while I had his arms tangled up. He just collapsed and dry heaved. I rarely use this technique. It is totally uneccessary to use that amount of force unless it is an absolute total force situation (multiple attackers, weapons etc). That was when I was younger (not that I'm old or anything, 25), now I'd rather take a bash in the mouth and restrain than take it to that level. Armlocks are much more fun.

Sam Tripp
    Last edited by Diu Sao; 07-22-2003 at 08:53 AM.

The Malay silat system I practice, silat seni gayong, has a method called seelege-?- (leopard palm) dedicated to attack the vital points (seni in malay) and one of the combinations is a uppercut under the pit with a overhand hook to the temple.

Just backing up what Jook Lum put down.
    Regards

In the Bak Sil Lum I practice, the armpit is a common target. The technique we use for it - which appears in nearly every BSL form - is a small inside palm block followed by a grab and a twist to pull the attacking limb out of the way (this could also simply be an up-block) followed by a rising finger jab to the armpit. Gene denotes this move in his "BSL Lyrics" series (check the archives) as "'yin' striking palm." This strike is very common in our style and is very effective for all the reasons pointed out above.

so if I am getting this right, there is a nerve bundle that is fairly sensitive if it is an open target? Where exactly is that located in the armpit?

Blog Entries
    You can also hit a bundly of nerves in the crease between the shoulder and the torso. In CLF we would use a leopard fist strike to do this. It would have the effect of deadening the arm.

Re:Armpit strikes

Hello to Red5Angel and everyone else on this thread!The best spot to strike the armpit is in the center,but with so many nerves in that area anywhere directly around the the center will cause pain.Also as Diu Sao stated a good strike to the area under the arm(side ribs at chest level)will cause the opponents lungs to sharply contract causing the person to not be able to catch their breath,the person will usually drop to the ground or a bent over position.The length of time and the severity of breath loss along with if they will drop or bend depends on how hard and penetrating the strike was.It causes loss of energy to the legs and other parts of the body which is why the person usually drops or bends over.Fu Pow i agree that is another good point, it works well for haymakers.Black Jack, good follow up with the temple shot.

sounds cool. Who here has experienced or seen a an armpit shot work as they describe it or expected it to work?

I have nailed the armpit in sparring a few times and at least twice in competition that I can remember. Its a legal target in nearly all venues I would assume.

Plus some bouncer said he hooked someone's armpit a couple posts up.

I saw it on alien nation a bunch of times too.

strike!