Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grappling: Ah Ha!

Grappling: Ah Ha!

OK, now I see why you guys are so into this grappling. I have to say it's highly addictive. I mean, you can roll around and apply locks and counters at full power without beating the bejuses out of each other. It's really technical too, so it keeps your intrest.

One thing I've seen though playing with BJJ and Judo guys the past month and a half: they are VERY open to strikes and to being controlled when they try single/double leg take downs.

Two years ago they would have dropped me, because my Wing Chun and Southern Mantis was not at the level (at least for me) to deal with that intense, low intention. But with Hsing-I now I'm having good sucess in utilizing a long arm to control them at their shoulder, bicep, ride it out, and maintain a back hand to strike with. Not having as much success with a lead leg kick. Could be because I'm holding the strike though. But at the same time, if they can take it, or it slips off, they have good position.

Either way, it's too early to tell. Still have much to learn and test but am intersted ... a whole new dimension of fun. Who would have though putting a gi back on would be so invigerating. Viva La China still, though! Down with the Japanse!
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 07-21-2003 at 08:27 AM.

But with Hsing-I now I'm having good sucess in utilizing a long arm to control them at their shoulder, bicep, ride it out, and maintain a back hand to strike with.
    Do you think it would have been possible for you to pull that off in a real life situation had you not actually tested it out and gotten comfortable with it?

It is quite an eye-opener eh?

One thing I've seen though playing with BJJ and Judo guys the past month and a half: they are VERY open to strikes and to being controlled when they try single/double leg take downs.
    You should try takedowns with wrestlers

Sounds like some good experience

I had one huge advantage -- actually two -- in my favor. Each time I played with these grapplers I KNEW they were going to be shooting. That's big. The other, except for two of the guys, I out weighted them.

If I faced these men blind (not knowing their style before hand), it's hard to tell. My technique is developing in such a way as that I am reacting to the other less and less and just doing my own thing. But I am aware of the difference between training and full out fighting a stranger (that goes both ways however).

Still much to learn. I'm just thankful that I have a teacher that is capable of opening up this world to me and training partners that are skilled but kind. We work hard but no real injuries.

This stuff is fun though ... maybe too much so.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 07-21-2003 at 09:30 AM.

Sounds cool. Good luck to you.

Cross training is fun
    Its good to see what other styles offer and how they stack up against you and your style.
    Havent been rolling for a month or so now... f*Cked up shoulder, bout to start again tho.
    All the people I know who grapple outweigh me by atleast 20+ lbs... hehehe

Everyone should know grappling, but there are two VERY distinct problems with it that I see, and have encountered.

1) When you drop on pavement...it hurts. When you roll on pavement...it hurts.

2) Fending off more than one person, and you are in a bit of a bind.

The thing that has become extremely apparent to me is that NO one system is perfect, and you'll probably get your ass kicked if you rely on only ONE system, if you come up against a formidable opponent. Like Bruce Lee said, be water. If you can adapt to each situation you are put in, you have better chances of coming out alive.
    e-matt.org

Do you think your wutang sword can defeat me?

Not too many people need submitting after a good takedown

for example www.badbreed.tv/webvideos/slam-1.wmv

Close clinch underhook sink dump
    Good reason to learn plan old wresting for moves off the clinch.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Jesus. That looked nasty. Looked like the guy landed badly enough to possibly break his neck.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

You can hit them with your Body
    I will hit them with the Earth

I love takedowns
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Ooohhh...that was nasty. Do you have any info on who those fighters were?

there was a thread about the clip at MMA.tv a while back. The KOed fighter was fine.

I'm more interested in the guy who chucked him.

he was fine too

Takedowns are awesome. But I seem to remember reading a couple years ago in a KFQG mag with master Tao on the cover that the Chinese military police openly discourage taking it to the ground. I think they cited reasons like debris, the factor that weight plays into it, and losing a sidearm easily. Although they learn groudfighting, they don't go there if they don't have to.