Thread: Schools in Chicago and Northshore

Schools in Chicago and Northshore

Hey. Anyone know of any good schools in Chicago or the Northshore (Evanston, Wilmette, Skokie, etc)? I'm not really picky, style wise.

I already know about Wai Lun Choi but, due to schedule conflicts, he's out of the question. >.<

So... Anyone? Thanks a lot.

Too bad you can't go see Choi. Try this link. http://www.taichitaocenter.com/
    I know it's not the north shore, but it's quality, and it's near the El.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I know of a bad ass street savate club in the city. Plus their is a good JKD/Kali school in Libertyville and a good Arnis club in Oakland Park.

I think Chicago U. has a 7 Star Mantis Group. Also Northwestern has a combato/jujitsu club. Their is also a Sambo group in the city as well.

Plus the Green Dragon Society.
    Regards

Naperville has an excellent Longfist school. Easy 30 minute ride from union station.

is Wai Lun Choi the guy that teaches Waterboxing there in chicago? If not do a search for waterboxing in Chicago, the guy there somewhere teaches it is supposed to be one of the best.

Just FYI Choi's website.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

thanks count, choi was the guy I was thinking of.

I can point you to good Northern Mantis, Wingchun, JKD, and Tai Chi, all on the North side. What are you looking for?

All those sound great but I think I'd be most interested in the Northern Mantis or Tai Chi.

Kung Fu Academy of Chicago - on Sheridan and Pratt near Loyola U. 7-star Praying Mantis, Master Kwan grew up training in Hong Kong and Taiwan and was in some Kung Fu movies. The kwoon is pretty strict and serious, just to let you know.

Tai Chi - Chen, Yang, Sun, Wu styles - Kang Ti TaiJi center - Dr. Wu Shih Cun, 5413 N. Broadway - he has authored 8 books in English and Chinese on Tai-Chi, teaches alot of different forms, kick-ass Chinese MD too. It wouldn't surprise me if he emphasized the health/development aspects rather than, say, street-fighting.

Cool. Thanks. I'll check out both of those. Do you think you could give me some info on the Wing Chun and JKD around here? I'd like to check out both of those too, if I can.

Thanks again.

I know a guy in Chic who's been doing Chen Tai Chi for about two years. They've only recently completed learning the long form, and are starting to learn push hands. Dunno if that sounds like what you want, but if it is I could ask him for more detail.

Also, I think Dr. Brian Wu of the American Combat Shuai Chiao Assn is in Chicago, and if he's not taking new students, I'll bet he's got old students who are.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Easy. My teacher Sifu Nikita Johnson teaches out of the Kung Fu academy, but he only teaches on a semi-private basis, Wing Chun and JKD. He is a Cook County sheriff and has lots of ring experience too, as well as 28 years in WC. You can observe training. Contact me via PM or at fajingk@yahoo.com, I'll pass you his number.

I also should mention this school www.mantisfist.com - this guy studied under Master Kwan, as well as others. Coincidentally, there is also a good Wing Chun guy from Brazil teaching out of this school. Coming from the Northern burbs, however, the school on Sheridan would probably be easier to access.

It is my understanding that Dr. Wu is no longer teaching. However, the Groin Ripper Shuai Chiao Academy has recently reopened if you're interested in learning Shuai Chiao at a fighting school. We may be going into San Shou soon as well.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I think it's a different Dr. Wu. The gentleman I am referring to is strictly a TaiJi guy.

Are you with me Doctor Wu
    Are you really just a shadow
    Of the man that I once knew
    Are you crazy are you high
    Or just an ordinary guy
    Have you done all you can do
    Are you with me Doctor

Where is the Shuai Chiao school? do you guys have a spot now? I recommend these guys if you are close.