Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Original 5 animal quan

Question Original 5 animal quan

Does anyone know where to get info on the original 5 animal quan? Supposedly each of the 5 only had 6 postures originaly, just curious to see what todays have evolved from! Thanks for any replies.
    Bless you

You can start with Robert Smith's book: Secrets of Shaolin Temple Boxing-printed in 1964. Out of print now but it is a starting point.

we talking about masta dahma and the 18 ahmed methods and the 5 animals play; bear, tiger, ape crane, deer??

i got that from a national geographic documentary on shaolin.

Shaolinleub
    no, the origingal 5 qian are Tiger, Dragon, Snake, Crane, and Leapord. I think the animal play you are speaking of comes from a system called wu chin tse, however I may be wrong but I'm sure the above animals are the first 5 shaolin.
    Bless you

Post What you seek

Dear friend

the system what you seek is named Wu Fang Sheng Quan and means 5 Animals Immitating Boxing. This kind of Shaolin Knowledge is not something that you can learn or see if you are not a monk; and i mean a real Monk.

Some techniques of this style are common in Wu Xing Quan but its is only a small part of the 5 animals.

Hu (Tiger), Long (Dragon), She (snake), Pao (Leopard) and Ho (Crane) are the basic animals of this style. For history Monk Shi Jue Yuan created arround 1240.

I hope i 've been helpfull.
    Shaolin is not Wu Shu.......

The ultimate Truth is beyond words. Doctrines are words. They're not the Way. The Way is wordless. Words are illusions... Don't cling to appearances, and you'll break through all barriers...

I'm currently learning a version of WuXingBaFa, which I think is "Five Elements, Eight Ways".

It has five animals, Eagle, Tiger, Leopard, Crane and Dragon, but it seems strange to me that it's called "5 elements" instead of "5 animals". Makes me think of the Taoist thing where there are 5 elements to Buddisms four. But everyone is adament that this is a Shaolin form and doesn't have a Taoist background.

I'm told that this form (and other forms that are combinations of animals) were developed after the individual animal forms.

Anyone shed more light on this? How's it related to the five animal form that replaces Eagle with Snake?

Thanks for your time,

Originally posted by bodhitree
    Shaolinleub
    no, the origingal 5 qian are Tiger, Dragon, Snake, Crane, and Leapord. I think the animal play you are speaking of comes from a system called wu chin tse, however I may be wrong but I'm sure the above animals are the first 5 shaolin.

thats what I thought but i saw that program and it confused me. thanks man.

For johngreenhow

Bodhidharma is the founding patriarch of shaolin temple. Some of his accomplishments were the development of yi jin jing and si sui jing for the practitioners of Chan Buddhism.

From this base, shaolin Wu Gong ( not Wu Shu ) blossomed into a multitude of styles. The early styles were involved in a basic routine (hard style) called Wuxingbafa (five animal 8 methods) Wu Gong ( not Wu Shu ). The Tiger form was for developing muscular strength, Crane developed the qi, Dragon was for the spirit, Snake form developed the jing, and the leopard created tendon agility.

The eight methods included hand techniques, leg techniques, grappling, qigong, meditation, sound, secret techniques).

Wuxingbafa Quan. (Five Elements/Animals, Eight Directions Boxing) this is the most accurate translation for your style.

As for the Eagle instaed Snake there is a story for this.

Master Da Mo while meditating he saw a fight between a snake and an eagle. Some said that the snake wins some said that the eagle wins but in fact both animals stoped fighting. After a while Damo creat some kind of fighting techniques. This little story made some teachers usually from South Shaolin to use Eagle Techniques instead of Snake. Usually in North Shaolin they use Snake or both.

I hope this helps.....

The ultimate Truth is beyond words. Doctrines are words. They're not the Way. The Way is wordless. Words are illusions... Don't cling to appearances, and you'll break through all barriers...

Jue Yuan

"For history Monk Shi Jue Yuan created arround 1240."

Lao Long, I noticed that you say 'history' so what is the source of this date?

r.

Lao Long,

Thanks!

For r.(shaolin)

When you seek you can find anything. Extracted from the book “Records of Shaolin Temple” in Shaolin Temple, with the help of a friend.
    Last edited by Lao Long; 07-27-2003 at 01:27 AM.

Lao Long,
    Is "Records of Shaolin Temple" a book not available to the general public?

Would be historically significant to read. And I would like to get a hold of it.

As it is, Yijin Jing was first published in 1827.
    Before this time there is no mention of Damo having taught anything at Shaolin temple.

That includes MA manuals as well as Buddhist scriptures.

The oldest known book from Shaolin, "Elucidation on Shaolin Stick, Spear an Saber" from 1616 credits their incredible stick fighting ability to the diety Jinnaluo.

Actually that was a mistake.
    An older 1517 stele inscription credits Shaolin's stick fighting ability to Naluoyan.

The inscription as well as the book both tell the same story.
    How the Red Turbans came to Shaolin and were chased away by an unknown kitchen worker.

The truth is that the Red Turbans chased away all the monks around 1356.

Surviving epitaphs from 1373 tell how the bandits destroyed the temple and smashed the statues looking for gold.

After the governments Northern offensive, led by Chaghan Temur, in 1359 were they able to return.

The oldest known book on empty hand fighting from Shaolin, "Chuen Jing-Chuen Fa Bei Yao" also makes no mention of animals fighting, Damo, Yijin Jing etc.

Although it goes into extensive details on Shaolin fighting(another thread a few months back)

Most of the above info comes from Meir Shahar and his book
    "Ming-Period Evidence of Shaolin Martial Practice"

Most of his references are the original books themselves as well as Tang Hao's well known research on Shaolin and MA in general.

Venerable Jue Yuan and Bai Yufeng

The the Shaolin wushu I practice
    traces its lineage of martial arts back to Venerable Jue Yuan of Shaolin Monastery and Bai Yufeng. We place them in the late Yuan Dynasty and after Abbot Fuyu. There is no hard historical records of either Jue Yuan or Bai Yufeng. The version in the so called "Records of Shaolin Temple" comes from a verbal tradition and is in some details at odds and less detailed than the version of the story in my tradition. There are many things in the "Records of Shaolin Temple" that are clearly historically incorrect. Most of the actual historical information about Shaolin comes to us from the Ming and Qing Dynasties. With only the smallest of bits from the Tang, Song, Jin and Yuan.

All in all I would take "Records of Shaolin Temple" with a grain of salt.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 07-27-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Master Tainan Mantis

As it is, Yijin Jing was first published in 1827. Before this time there is no mention of Damo having taught anything at Shaolin temple. That includes MA manuals as well as Buddhist scriptures.

The practice of combining wushu and qigong continued down through the centuries, and by the time of the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1911) dynasties a number of theoretical works were written about it. One of them was Yijinjing a widely - read book of the Ming Dynasty which expounded the theory of incorporating internal work (qigong) into (wushu) exercises of the Shaolin school.

From Martial Arts of China Vol. 1, No. 2 , Page 87
    Courtesy of Shaolin Brand

Some said that Zongheng, a Taoist priest of Tiantai Mountain, wrote 'Yijinjing' in 1624, but to add mystery to it, he made up a story saying 'Yijinjing' was originally written by Damo.

An older 1517 stele inscription credits Shaolin's stick fighting ability to Naluoyan.

Nan Chao Bodhidharma Bei, stele. There were recorded by emperor Liang Wu Di, everything about Bodhidharma. This stele can be found in Kong Xian Si.

The Abbot Ji An Fa Shi, built the Bodhidharma pagoda at the Yuan Xiang era, during the reign of emperor Xiao Jing Di, [534-550 AD], of the Dong Wei Dynasty (Eastern Wei). It was situated south of the temple’s middle line, and was constructed after Bodhidharma’s death and had a lot of historic evidences about Bodhidharma's teachings.

This stele can be found in Kong Xian Si.

Ba Long Jing Du, was built at 1064, during the Song dynasty. It was built of limestone and at each side of its octagonal shape was written sutras and histories about Bodhidharma.

This stele can be found in Kong Xian Si.

Most of the above info comes from Meir Shahar and his book
    "Ming-Period Evidence of Shaolin Martial Practice"

Dr. Meir Shahar Department of East Asian Studies in Tel Aviv University, Israel is a well-known scientist.

Is "Records of Shaolin Temple" a book not available to the general public?

No, it is property of Shaolin temple and Deng Feng Goverment office of Henan province, China. As far as i know.

The teachings in The Chan Teaching of Bodhidharma
    were delivered by Bodhidharma in person. The oldest known manuscripts of these sermons are dated from the seventh century copies among the hundreds of Tang dynasty Buddhist manuscripts found in China's Pingling Temple and
    Tunhuang in present-day Kansu Province.
    Last edited by Lao Long; 07-28-2003 at 04:04 AM.

Jue Yuan

Lao Long have you had a chance to check for the source of the info on Jue Yuan that "Records of Shaolin Temple" used?

r.