Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Bow

Traditional Bow

In one of our forms for Green sash. (I take Kun Tao/Silat) We have one called Shaolin Form.

And we bow in and out differently then with our other forms.

What we do is we circle our hands outward and then bring them up to chest level. Then go into a female stance and bow with a fist like inside a tiger claw.

Is this how they really do it in Shaolin?

Sorry for the stupid question.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

The right fist with a left tiger's claw is the traditional Hung Gar bow, I believe.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

That is actually a pretty common bow in cma in general... some use the empty stance, some don't. Some just cover the fist with the left hand, some use a palm, some use a tiger claw....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

If the hand is merely covering the closed fist, I would say it is a general CMA bow; if it is definitely in a tiger claw, I would say it's probably Hung Gar.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

The tiger claw(left) enclosing the fist(right) is a Shaolin salute. It is seen in the Hung Fist styles for sure.

Bows can also be from the school specifically.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    If the hand is merely covering the closed fist, I would say it is a general CMA bow; if it is definitely in a tiger claw, I would say it's probably Hung Gar.
    Oh now that you metion it. I remember them talking about Hung Gar in my school.

I think that maybe it. Thanks!
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Re: Traditional Bow

Originally posted by Odin of Wei
    Then go into a female stance and bow with a fist like inside a tiger claw.

A female stance?

Oooooookay

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Jeff

I think he means 'tiu ma' (cat stance)

In Chow Gar we greet with the left palm open (fingers straight) covering the right fist in 'tiu ma'

Hey Fu-Pau ,

What's going on bro?

I had a feeling that's what he meant.

Never heard it called that before.lol

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

right hand in a fist, left hand in a palm. or the one handed bow if your holding a weapon.

Originally posted by jmd161
    Hey Fu-Pau ,

What's going on bro?

I had a feeling that's what he meant.

Never heard it called that before.lol

jeff
    ummm....whao there, chill.
    no. That's not what I ment.

Like most of your weight on one leg as you have one foot sort of in the air? No not that.

I ment like you put one leg in front of the other and you can go really low if you got strong leg muscles.

The stance is used mostly for up close and you just keep hitting them while in that stance.

Have to be careful not to be too tight with it so you can't spin out.

A good exerice is to go into Female then to twist out into Horse stance. That is really good for the legs, you feel the burn after a couple of seconds depending on how low you go.

-CPD hostage negotiator

ok … it's this term "female" stance that's confusing us? Does the stance involve the front foot being turned at a 90 degree angle (with the instep facing forwards) from the back foot? If so it is more commonly known as "ke lum po" or 'Unicorn Stance'

13. question:
    has any of you ever learned the fighting applications that are within these traditional bows???

Chief108
    @ selini108 you can get a FREE copy of the 5 Leopards Fist form as taught in our Eagle Claw curriculum!!!

Kao Ma is often called "girl stance" (cow ma)

Or "scissor step" or "twist horse", etc etc.
    I wonder what the orgina; names for stance were?

Ever style has a different way of calling the same thing.
    I have heard the term female or gilr stance used before by some schools because it (the stance) looks vaguely like a curtsy of agirls bow.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

question:has any of you ever learned the fighting applications that are within these traditional bows???
    Bows show political affiliation. I wasn't aware there is any martial application in covering your fist with a palm.