Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional Bow

mk-

in every movement, including the bows, there shouldn't be waste and those moves should be applicable.

The salute of Shaolin for instance can indeed be used as a reach/hold and strike movement. when the arms circle from out to in the open hand is bracing, the fist is striking. (one app anyway)

point being, there shouldn't be any superfluous movement that does not have application in a form.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

2. some bows start with feet together then a step forward and the arms and hands might go to your right side...

there ARE martial applications in that as well as buddhist symbols...

think about it....
    it's really not that hard to figure it out

Chief108
    @ selini108 you can get a FREE copy of the 5 Leopards Fist form as taught in our Eagle Claw curriculum!!!

Well, if you want to get that esoteric, then sure, every single thing I do has martial applications. Typing on a keyboard all day long has trained my fingers for precision striking and toughened them as well to avoid breaking, and eating ice cream in the Oklahoma heat trains my reflexes as I have to eat the ice cream before it drips down the cone and gets my fingers sticky.

You will find what you are looking for in anything, if you look hard and long enough.

Sometimes, though, a flower is just a flower.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Shaolin bows

At Songshan Shaolin, the formal bow is like a half namaste (if I can borrow from yoga for a second.) It's like ringing your palms together in front of your heart, a typical Buddhist bow, but unique to Shaolin, it is only done with one hand. This is to honor Huike, Bodhidharma's first disciple and the second patriarch of Zen (Chan) since he was a one-armed man.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,
    One could argue that Shaolin uses one hand because they wanted to remain neutral (or at least appear neutral) to the Ching government at a time when other styles were using bows with signficant political underpennings.

What say you?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

salutation of Fist and Palm

I've never really thought of the salute as a martial move either.

To me it represents a martial understanding symbol. In otherwords, there is an inner meaning to the left palm covering the right fist salute.

In the left hand, each finger and the thumb represent something. The thumb: not being arrogent. The fingers each means: intetegrity of moral, intellectual, physical and aesthetic.

The right fist represents valour and vigor.

The saluation action: the left palm stops the right fist as to mean one is being brave but not wishing to make trouble.

The significance of Hui ke is also seen in saber sets or broadsword sets from Shaolin where the bow begins with the open and press but only with one hand.

There is a lot of legend attached to how Hui ke cut off his own arm to show Bodhidharma how willing he was to learn from him.

I suppose you could attach all sorts of symbolism to silent gestures such as hand signs, salutes, gang signs, etc etc.

I also think it's intersting that ultimately you can find martial application in such a gesture.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'd have to agree with MK on the whole bow issue as far as martial applications are concerned... Thanks NS I've never heard that reasoning to the fist and open hand...

That Hui Ke legend/story is a very interesting one from the Buddhist perspective, as far as gaining enlightenment, and the different schools of thought to that.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Fu-Pau
    ok … it's this term "female" stance that's confusing us? Does the stance involve the front foot being turned at a 90 degree angle (with the instep facing forwards) from the back foot? If so it is more commonly known as "ke lum po" or 'Unicorn Stance'
    Sort of like that.

I think you would want to have your foot towards your oppenent.

And you would want to get into his Triangle.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

10. most shaolin forms are build up the same way...
    first they don't mean to intend any harm, they start from a point of peace...
    then....
    they let you know they can harm you...
    after that you'll feel what they can do to you
    and they end with peace....

Chief108
    @ selini108 you can get a FREE copy of the 5 Leopards Fist form as taught in our Eagle Claw curriculum!!!

I learned a hung gar set (the first one can't remeber what it was called ) and the bow i that was the fist and tiger claw.
    (I'm a lau gar praticioner)

Originally posted by chief108
    question:
    has any of you ever learned the fighting applications that are within these traditional bows???
    Yup

Just learned a new opening where it represents the old long traditional robes (not the monk robes, the long ones like in the movies) getting tucked in the sash... kind of cool, never relised this one.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Reminds me of the Kwan Dao bow, where you symbolically toss General Kwan's beard out of the way before you start the form.

MK

The political underpinnings of Shaolin were more based on being a Buddhist monastary. I'm not sure how half of the Buddhist bow would be any less political then a full Buddhist bow. The Huike legend has always been the one that I have heard at Shaolin, and it make the most sense to me. FWIW, many will use the standard double hand Buddhist bow at Shaolin too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart