Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: kungfu training

Yes. Barefisted fighting. When i fought shaolin tiger there was a lot of blood becuase of cuts. The police were even called and a bicycle police man came. We had stopped fighting by the time the bicycle police man came and he just rode right by us.

I punched shaolin tiger in the mouth and cut my hand on his tooth.

Anyone who thinks that fight really took place is insane in the membrane.

Anyone who thinks Ralek isn't the secret identity of someone else on this board is insane in the membrane.

Anyone who takes anything he says seriously is insane in the membrane.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I didn't say I believed him. I just thought it was a good read.

Besides, things are a bit slow today. Trying to find some way to entertain myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Ralek
    The police were even called and a bicycle police man came. We had stopped fighting by the time the bicycle police man came and he just rode right by us.

Well hello Josh how you been did the bicycle of a squeaky wheel

"Trying to find some way to entertain myself"

You do work in an office building, yes?
    Theres a whole lot to do in those... hehehe
    *evil grin*

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Anyone who thinks that fight really took place is insane in the membrane.

Anyone who thinks Ralek isn't the secret identity of someone else on this board is insane in the membrane.

Anyone who takes anything he says seriously is insane in the membrane.
    Well then, chalk me up in the 'insane' category. I've talked with Shaolintiger about this at great length in person. I have no doubt that it happened.

However, I'm not suggesting that's any reason to take Ralek seriously.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Yes. The fight did happen. Ask shaolin Tiger.

If memory serves, he said he just toyed with you and didn't get really serious. You, on the other hand, made it sound like you made him gush buckets.

It may have happened but the facts of the encounter are sketchy at best.

no. didnt' exagerate. there really was cuts and blood.

Bruce Lee Was The Best Of His Time
    by Gene LeBell
    Both Bruce Lee and Gene LeBell incurred the wrath of traditionalists because they attempted to modify the arts they learned to create a more functional way of fighting.

I met Bruce Lee for the first time during the filming of the television show The Green Hornet, on which he played a butler. He was a nice fellow. The stunt coordinator hired me, and I worked on quite a few episodes. During that time, I was able to get to know Bruce a little bit, and we even worked out together. He was the best martial artist of his time.

Bruce and I had a bond with the martial arts, and we would get together frequently. We worked out about 10 to 12 times at his place in Los Angeles' Chinatown and at my place. When I went to his place, he showed me what he did, and I showed him what I did. Although he seemed to love the finishing holds of grappling, it just wasn't commercially attractive at the time. Actually. it was because of my grappling and tumbling background that I was hired to do the television show-because I could take falls for Bruce.

Bruce is more famous now than he was when he was alive. He was an entertaining fellow who was very knowledgeable and very good at what he did. People may wonder just how good a martial artist Bruce Lee was. Well, as I said earlier. he was the best of his time. Also, many of his former students are doing very well today. That's a sign that he was a good martial artist and that he was able to make his students into good martial artists.

Bruce developed and performed his own style of kung fu. and a lot of the traditional guys didn't like it because it broke from Chinese tradition. I know what that is like because I had the same trouble when I tried to improve different martial arts by changing things for the better. I believe that anytime you can have an open mind and learn something new, then add It to Your repertoire, it's a good thing. It will only make You and your students more knowledgeable.

At first Bruce was not particularly receptive to the grappling art that I practiced, but he eventually warmed up to it somewhat. I thought that was great. I've always been a big believer in crosstraining, and I've practiced most of the major martial arts, as well as boxing and wrestling. I believe that a person who is involved with the martial arts should know as Much as he can about all styles. The martial artists that I disagree with are the ones that know only their art ' they don't know anything about other styles and they don't like anything else.

As I said, Bruce started out with sort of a negative opinion of grappling. but after we worked out. he demonstrated that he had an open mind when he acknowledged how practical it was for certain things; in certain situations". Some of the techniques I shared with him were leg locks, arm locks, hold downs and judo throws.

Bruce and I didn't agree on everything. For example. I've always been a believer in bobbing and weaving to avoid an opponent's punches - instead of blocking with your hands. Bruce's theory was to block a punch and then, strike back with your open hand or fist. My point of view was that it You can avoid absorbing blows in a match or a fight. - and then come in with offensive moves, You'll live a lot longer.

Although no one in the martial arts community today seems to have the same charisma that Bruce had, there are many great martial artists Out there teaching and competing. This statement is not intended to take anything away from Bruce. He was a leader and trendsetter. I wish he were still with us today.

End Article.

It's amazing that people really have such little knowledge of what Jeet Kune Do actually was back then. The actual art had nothing to do with his movies. His movies were HK film stuff without the wire garbage. Nothing more.
    People on both sides chalk Bruce's acting career up to the criteria of what his art was about. LOL.

It's almost amusing to read at times. JKD was literally a "mixed martial arts" philosophy which incorporated western sport training with eastern fighting. Bruce continued to find his weaknesses and addressed them one by one. That's how he trained.
    By the end of his life, "Jeet Kune Do" was a strong mixture of boxing, muay thai, wing chun, judo, and wrestling.

For God's sake everyone, talk to the original students, or Dan, or Linda, or SOMEONE other than the people who watch his movies LOL.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Been there done that. The people that haven't sparred with one of Mr Lee's students really need to shut up! Because if they had they would'nt be selling wolf tickets.

Ralek, there is an open Kung Fu tournament being held in NJ next month -- Sept. 27. There will be both External and Internal martial artist there. This could be a forum for you to base your claims, being that I'll assume those kung fu guys signing up for fighting, will be, uh, fighters. You can stay with me the night before if you want.

You should understand a few things: Good kung fu is not so easy to find -- even here in NYC. Chances are the local kwoon in your small Maryland town is a place for people to learn some forms, wear cool uniforms and do some light to moderate chi sau. Nothing wrong with that, but don't confuse it with guys who are banging around, testing their techniques and modifying them.

Another thing: Who's going to drive to Maryland to fight you? You're a 20 year old from no where who learned BJJ from a CD ROM ... I can roll at Gracies gym in the city for $20 and save myself gas, toll and legal bills.

I don't strongly disagree with some of your points, actually. But you're purposely pushing buttons. You know what, I don't think too highly of TKD as a "fighting art", but I don't waist my time going to a TKD board to talk smack. And I'm wise enough to know there's some good TKD guys out there that have powerful, sneaky kicks.

Think about it. What are you tryign to achieve? One photo of you holding a trophy from a Kung Fu tournament says more than all the post you've ever made or will make here. Consider it. NJ is just a short car ride away.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 08-05-2003 at 11:10 AM.

Are You talking about the Wong Fei Hung Tournement?

I'll be there this year fighting in the advanced division

A while ago, me and ralek had some words on here and were supposed to set up a match, of course he *****ed out but I would love to see him there.

White Sash, i trully admire Bruce Lee, he was an amazing martial artist, but i do not think he can stand up with tyson. the only way bruce can beat tyson is if he took him to the ground. I dont really know how good Bruce's takedowns and ground skills were though, but i dont think tyson's takedown defenses are that great either.

De la hoya vs. Bruce would be fun to watch though. I definetely think in a real fight bruce would take out De La Hoya. He would probably throw some sidekicks and wait for the opportunity to take him down. Only a moron would stand up and fight with a pro boxer, ecspecially tyson.

Didnt Butterbean beat a k-1 fighter recently, with k-1 rules. I heard he just ate the kicks and came in throwing punches.

Yea. I'm going too. I just reinjured my carpal tunnel banging around earlier than I should have so I'm cutting out all contact training unfortunatly -- great stratagey before a fight, huh? I guess I'll just keep surfing (doesn't bother it thank God), biking and work on walking, and other training. I'm only hoping not playing for two months will get me fired up when the time comes. It's just not easy to stand around and watch when others are sparring. Sucks.

i know that feeling, it really sucks. that's why i always spar and train injured and i never heal.

what school do you train at???