Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any video of REAL Kung-Fu out there?

Too bad I missed the music. Actually they ripped on those vids on the Wing Chun forum. But I'm saying, how are you supposed to demonstrate a technique so that other people can see it distinctly? You demonstrate on your own scared little students, that's how. Something like boxing is easier to pick up on as an observer-- you have the bright gloves, only two limbs to watch. 4-limbed bare-handed fighting with grabs is harder to follow. A real wrestling match is also harder to follow, if you aren't familiar with the subtle moves and the balance considerations and all that. I'm sure that if the footage was of two wing chun guys free-sparring with gloves, you'd say where is the wing chun? I have video of a Wing Chun and a Mantis instructor free sparring at a moderate intensity without gloves - you can see their arts, because that's how they train. The fight goes to the ground a few times - natural in a free sparring situation, and as competant MA instructors they continued a few more seconds each time. But I thought the WT vids were good demonstrations, anyway, despite the weak attacks. You saw a lot of punches, elbows, knees, leg checks, intermediate -level grappling - stuff where I would say, yes that looks effective - no I don't have any doubt that the instructor could pull alot of this stuff off on a resisting opponent, however if he met a top-level sport fighter in a sporting context, he'd hold his own but probably lose, but I'd give him a slight edge over said sport fighter in the street, who would hold his own but probably lose. The techniques seemed simple and effective - it wasn't like he was utilizing the tornado kick defense against a knife or anything.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Oso
    you make the assumption that i never trained that throw in any manner but the forms.

there is no ****ing difference as long as you train.

the advantage I had last night is that I knew this move from at least 3 different perspectives (tan tui, pm and tai chi) and had trained it live before. all I gained last night was a fourth perspective and more live training.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make that assumption based on your statement that you had done it before in your forms. Someone who had actually done it before in sparring would have said something to the effect of "we did the same throws that I have used in my kung fu sparring."

umm, no that's not what I said. Please note bold type above in my quoted statement. thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hey MP, I enjoyed your post, some of it I know how to take, some of it I don't. I do have to say I have seen "real" kungfu in a fight actually look like "real" kungfu. I also know some people who can use "real" kungfu to whip up on your average person no problem. Could they take sport fighters, probably not, for a myriad of reasons, but I don't think that is their interest and I think they know if they encountered someone in a "real" situation they would be fukked.
    Anyway, not sure if I am fighting your post or agreeing...

I'd have to agree with r5a on his last post.. and MP with about 99% of the general kung fu populus...

I think that a round kick is a round kick, a side kick a side kick, and an uppercut an uppercut... however, I also think to be able to throw any of those techs... you need to know how to do it know matter what your stance is....

Oh, and sometimes, tma can really come out in the footwork.. I think that is where some people get fooled.. but maybe I'm just hallucinating again.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Drilling Sparring are done so as to understand the other person, your adversary.
    i think you're still learning about yourself mostly. but that's just me.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by Oso
    fer example, we did a throw last night in jujitsu class that is in at least 3 of the forms I know from kung fu. One of them tai chi where it is called 'slant flying'. the names don't frikkin matter.
    Um... Please note your original statement. Thank you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    knifefighter, ok. my bad. I didn't look all the way back. busy as hell at the moment.

however I did clarify in my second post that I had trained it live and by that I mean in situational sparring as well as pulling it off in free fighting.

this is a dumb argument to get into on a forum. the only way to quantify is with video. I don't have any of myself. Do you? It's highly unlikely that anyone is going to have video of themselves in an all out street fight. So, what is the point of arguing about it. I STILL don't give a rat's ass what a bunch of people on a forum think of what I do.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Xebsball
    San Shou - what does Xebby say about it

on first instance:
    * Change the boxing gloves for mma gloves
    * Allow elbows and knees

then im in
    word
    why not try mma?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: San Shou

Originally posted by ShifuBinks
    Somebody could enter a san shou or kickboxing competition and try to use kung fu techniques...sure there might be some disadvantages i.e. the kung fu practitioner couldn't use his eagle claw or whatever, but they could still try to use many kung fu techniques...my point is, when you enter a san shou tournament, the people running the tournament don't tell you "OK you have to fight with both hands up, shoulders high, and bounce around a lot." I agree that this is the way that most san shou fighters fight, but if a kung fu entered the tournament he wouldn't be forced to fight this way...I think san shou refers more to the set of rules than the style the fighters use...?

BTW, regarding the clip of real kung fu:
    I usually use a lot of kickboxing when I fight but this weekend is my grandmaster's tournament and if it looks like I'm kickboxing he's gonna be ticked big time...I will probably end up kickboxing anyway but if I do in fact succeed in using some kung fu I'll put the clip online...
    How did the fights go?

Out of curiousity, if you are training kung fu, why would you kickbox? have you had previous kickboxing training?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by fa_jing
    ps, no that's not me

FYI - my stuff is mostly sparring sessions and a some brief full-contact matches. Looks alot like western kickboxing but I can point you to certain KF techs and especially footwork that come out - to me, winning is most important, and if ANYTHING I do comes out looking like Kung Fu I am happy.
    Are those the tapes you showed WD and I?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Originally posted by SevenStar

why not try mma?
    shhhh...

its my little secrets

btw

i see dead peole...
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

San Shou should have been the CMA version of UFC/MMA from the start.
    That would've been cool.

Last edited by NorthernMantis; 07-27-2003 at 11:58 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

The links did'nt work, except the YKM.