Thread: World Kung Fu grading check it out... cash cow or legit?

Wink World Kung Fu grading check it out... cash cow or legit?

http://www.wushukungfumasters.org

If you haven't seen it they've been advertising in the Kung Fu Qigong mag. The format looks like a simplified version of the grading system now in use by Wushu Canada (@ www.wushucanada.com ).

Chan Sau Chung is one of the head guys spear heading this. He is ranked at tenth level by the Wushu Canada grading system.

Will it be an old boys club, cash cow or legit? Any guess is as good as mine!

Personally, a gradeing system used for competitve fomats does not bother me, BUT most Kung Fu today is descended from closed, tight nit, family styles tht really had no ranking system at all. I believe it should stay that way. So long as it's an optional thing, and you don't "Have" to use their grading system to compete in traditional divisions, it really does not matter.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

As it's currently presented it doesn't seem like a cash cow -- testing fees are the same at all levels and they're the only fees listed. The qualification rules are pretty simple and can be applied across a broad spectrum of martial arts styles/systems.

However, it looks like this organization is still in the planning stages (or just out of them) as its active promotion (masters' demo) is tentatively scheduled for December.

Looks like a well-intentioned plan but the real question is, will politics erase the good idea that's on paper now?
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Cash cow for arrogant control freaks.

TonyM:

Why do you feel this way about this group?
    Ron Goninan - Chairman
    KOBGK Paihequan International

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
    Web Site: http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

The purpose of creating a recognized grading association is to familiarize the world with the accomplishments and contributions of the Chinese Martial Art, and encourage the enthusiasm among students, raise the standards of martial art, and to enhance our Chinese legacy.
    The only thing this is for is to make money. In other systems with such grading systems the art is watered down to make it uniform from school to school. The standards are lowered, not raised. Everyone knows that the rank testing is the gravey or the profit. Besides it encourages ego more than enthusiasm. A board for such a comittee to do the testing would require at least a few hundred different experts that understand the various styles. How could a Monkey teacher presume to judge a crane stylist? They do seem to take into account previous accomplishments towards rank. But why don't the higher grades have to test? I think a ranking should be required to enter specific events at specific levels. But I think your teacher is the only one who can judge your level of progress. Generally in CMA the ranks are either General or foot soldier. Time and refinement is the real measure for levels in any art. My black belts hang in the closet. They aren't to show the world anything.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I feel this way because they appointed themselves to administer and control what they feel is kung fu. Kung Fu has done just fine without them for 1500+ years. Personally, I don't want anything to do with anything organized by people taught PRC wushu. My Sifu escaped the cultural revolution in '69. Being a gentleman and a scholar he never talked about it. I did my own research and pretty much feel that anyone involved with the gubmint at this time can go to he!!. I think this is all about wrestling control of a lot of small bussinesses away from their rightfull owners. Smacks of carnegian monopoly to me. Can the armed pinkertons be far behind? (that part was a joke)

To me its just another group of individuals trying to make themselves the royalty of Martial ARts, this time Kung Fu.

I've ahd to deal with this muck before in NYC with the East Coast Kung Fu Federation. In the beginning it had a purpose but after that it was just a supper club for the founders.

Since alot of the teachers are getting old and can't realistically demonstrate their styles at a high level, why don't we judge their students instead. If they are certifiying them as instructors/diciples etc. then they should be able to demonstrate a very high standard. But we know this is not true as the $$$ rings true and this organization is just another way to make $$$.

ps:

Is it true that Chan Sau Chun got ****ed off witht eh Canadian group becuase they would not rank his son as high as he was??

Personally, I don't want anything to do with anything organized by people taught PRC wushu. My Sifu escaped the cultural revolution in '69. Being a gentleman and a scholar he never talked about it. I did my own research and pretty much feel that anyone involved with the gubmint at this time can go to he!!.
    That's an idiot statement. The majority of modern wushu people had nothing to do with your teacher being chased out of the country. A number of them went into hiding along with the "traditionalists". I can see not wanting to be involved with anything organized by the mainland Chinese government, but most of these guys(as far as I know) have no connection to what went on during the cultural revolution.

P.S. I do agree with not having a standardized grading system for all CMA's. To many styles, and too many egos.

Clarification

Tony M. the group is not 'organized by people taught PRC wushu'. Not defending just clarifying for the new group it is set up by Chan Sau Chung (Tai Shing Pek Kwa / Monkey style), Fred Kwok (Wing Chun), Tat Mau Wong (Choy Lay Fut) & Richard Wan (Yau Kung Mun). All of whom learnt their skills in Hong Kong. Don't be confused as they put Wushu in their title it is actually just a term for Chinese martial arts.

As for the grading system utilized by the Canadian Confederation of Wushu Organizations, it was originally initiated by Sifu Paul Chan of Tao Pei & Choy Lay Fut styles. Other key personal were Sunny Tang (Wing Chun), Fred Kwok (Wing Chun also with the new system???), etc...

Ngok Fei, re Chan Sau Chung did influence the grading committee or rather key people in the grading committee to okay his son for level eight grading which apparently per the requirements his son did not qualify. Apparently he would only qualify as a level six due to his years of teaching but Chan got his way. Several of the grading committee & Canadian Confederation members were unhappy with this & felt it did not help credibility of the system.